Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I've been reading this forum for awhile trying to decide on my next car. I'm test driving a Stelvio this Saturday. I'm coming from a Jeep Wrangler, in which I make several 3 hour trips to Pa (from Long Island) a year. I've had the Jeep for almost 10 years now, and as I get older, I'm definitely looking for something more comfortable for those rides. Lately, I've been taking my wife's Subaru Outback, and the ride is so nice, it prompted me to look for a new car.

I'm all about the Stelvio because of the driving fun factor, but I understand that could take away some of the comfortable ride qualities.

Does anyone use the car for long trips? How comfortable is it? Road noise, ride, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
A twelve year old Cavalier has to be better than your Jeep.

But I am in the same boat. My wife wants an suv, but it has to be capable of relaxing long drives on I-80. And have enough grunt to get up the passes with two people and stuff without having to downshift to 5k rpms.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It would be much more comfortable than Wrangler for sure. I think it will be less comfy than outback On long drives.

Priority on Stelvio is driving fun and sportiness. It still does a good job of balancing but still stiffer ride than many other cars.

I would say same thing about engine noise too, you hear it in a good sporty way, makes you feel it. It is not the quietest but again good balance IMO.

If you want to be isolated in a comfy ride Stelvio is not that. Also keep in mind Outback is really a comfortable ride, many premium Suvs won't come to that level due to ride height and sportiness. So don't put that one as a target.

If you still want to have fun with a reasonable comfort, stelvio is that.

·
438 Posts
Does anyone use the car for long trips? How comfortable is it? Road noise, ride, etc.
I've driven my Stelvio on any number of all day trips lasting 5 to 8 hours with no problem or discomfort. Just an enjoyable journey. At age 75, I probably qualify as getting on in years too. The comfort of any particular car seat is an individual thing. So what I think is comfortable for me might not be to anyone else.

My wife wants an suv, but it has to be capable of relaxing long drives on I-80. And have enough grunt to get up the passes with two people and stuff without having to downshift to 5k rpms.
As for having enough grunt, I have yet to encounter any hills or mountains here in Oregon that my Stelvio can't handle.

My attitude for road trips in my Stelvio is bring them on. My goal is to someday drive US Route 20 from coast to coast. It is the longest highway in the country at 3,365 miles. I live not that far from the western end in Newport Oregon:

·
438 Posts
If you want to be isolated in a comfy ride Stelvio is not that. Also keep in mind Outback is really a comfortable ride, many premium Suvs won't come to that level due to ride height and sportiness. So don't put that one as a target.
Before getting my Stelvio, I owned a 2000 and then a 2013 Outback. I don't remember giving up anything in ride comfort with the Stelvio. As is true of any new car, it can take a bit of time for the seat to adjust to my body, and/or, for my body to adjust to the new seat. But after that breakin period I have no complaints.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you still want to have fun with a reasonable comfort, stelvio is that.
Thanks everyone for your input. I think the quote above sums it up. I don’t want to give up the fun for a comfy ride. I test drove the BMW X4, and although extremely comfortable, wasn’t very exciting. Couldn’t do it. If Saturday’s test drive goes as I think it will, I’ll be joining this club soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Before getting my Stelvio, I owned a 2000 and then a 2013 Outback. I don't remember giving up anything in ride comfort with the Stelvio. As is true of any new car, it can take a bit of time for the seat to adjust to my body, and/or, for my body to adjust to the new seat. But after that breakin period I have no complaints.
I wasn't referring to seat really, just the suspension comfort. I didnt drive them back to back. I owned a Subaru legacy sedan and an outback before. I owned an f30 bmw right before Stelvio, outback was on par with that if not better.

I feel like I feel bumps/ pot holes etc. Little bit more in Stelvio. My stelvio is sport though.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
363 Posts
A little off topic. . I live in SE PA, but got my car from Gold Coast Alfa/Maserati Great Neck NY. Just a little west of Queens . If you do decide to get an AR, I highly recommend them.They don't have a large show room but they do have a large inventory and great pricing, I was very happy with the way I was treated. Angel was my sales associate

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
143 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. I think the quote above sums it up. I don’t want to give up the fun for a comfy ride. I test drove the BMW X4, and although extremely comfortable, wasn’t very exciting. Couldn’t do it. If Saturday’s test drive goes as I think it will, I’ll be joining this club soon.
I agree with above posters. Six months ago I went from an Expedition to the Stelvio TI. I had similar concerns as you. What I’ve found is that the seats initially weren’t as plush as what I was used to however after a short break in period I adjusted and find the standard seats very comfortable. Interior sound levels are similar to my Expedition. I’ve done several day trips of 4-6 hours and find the Stelvio ride quality comfortable and fun to drive. I don’t think you can go wrong purchasing one!

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
363 Posts
A twelve year old Cavalier has to be better than your Jeep.

But I am in the same boat. My wife wants an suv, but it has to be capable of relaxing long drives on I-80. And have enough grunt to get up the passes with two people and stuff without having to downshift to 5k rpms.
As long as you keep the DNA setting to Dynamic, you will have no trouble passing anyone. If fact, if you want to cruise in N or A mode,it takes less than a sec to switch to Dynamic for extra passing power.

I find it amazing how switching from the default N setting to the Dynamic setting totally changes the demeanor of the car.

When I first got mine, I drove predominantly in N and switched to D when I felt the need for extra power. Now I keep it in D almost all the time.

·
438 Posts
I wasn't referring to seat really, just the suspension comfort.
Fair enough. The Stelvio's ride is somewhat stiffer. I was thinking in terms of the original query about road trips on good highways in my Outback vs. Stelvio comparison. With those mostly good road surfaces there isn't that much difference in ride quality.

I also drive a lot on back roads and mountainous logging roads. On those type of rough roads neither car would be smooth but the Outback would be somewhat better in comparison.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I have a base with 20" wheels. About once a week I do a 200mile round trip from about 2000ft elevation to sea level and back, otherwise have done a few 700 mile trips. Love every minute driving and never feel uncomfortable, have always been able to pass, steep grades at 80mph are not a problem. The 4cyl runs below 3000rpm with no issues, if you need to pass....you can.

If ride quality is a big deal get the base (not sport) suspension and smaller wheels. You'll be surprised at the ride quality I think.

I have a bad back and the base seats work great for me. If I did it over...would probably get a Lusso though. (With a chocolate interior..otherwise the same, paddle shifters are sweet but I really enjoy the ride handling compromise of the non-sport suspension with the larger wheels)

As far as noise, it does a great job of taking out the deep thrumming noises but only a so-so job of reducing the higher pitched noises like wind, or certain frequencies of the engine. To me the low pitched droning/thrumming is more tiresome then the high pitched noises. I am weird though.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
363 Posts
I wasn't referring to seat really, just the suspension comfort. I didnt drive them back to back. I owned a Subaru legacy sedan and an outback before. I owned an f30 bmw right before Stelvio, outback was on par with that if not better.

I feel like I feel bumps/ pot holes etc. Little bit more in Stelvio. My stelvio is sport though.
If you are looking for ride comfort, the 19" tires/wheels (which I have ) usually give you a more compliant ride vs larger tire/wheel set ups. One thing I learned from driving my 1985 Corvette, which had a suspension ever so slightly more complaint than a buckboard, is that reducing air pressure in the tires can have a significant affect on the ride quality. .Also the specific tire you are running can also make a big difference in ride quality

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been reading this forum for awhile trying to decide on my next car. I'm test driving a Stelvio this Saturday. I'm coming from a Jeep Wrangler, in which I make several 3 hour trips to Pa (from Long Island) a year. I've had the Jeep for almost 10 years now, and as I get older, I'm definitely looking for something more comfortable for those rides. Lately, I've been taking my wife's Subaru Outback, and the ride is so nice, it prompted me to look for a new car.

I'm all about the Stelvio because of the driving fun factor, but I understand that could take away some of the comfortable ride qualities.

Thanks!
I took my Stelvio on a 700 mile trip two years ago and it was very comfortable. The fact that the steering is so precise you are not constantly "fighting" the steering wheel. This in itself reduces fatigue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a base with 20" wheels. About once a week I do a 200mile round trip from about 2000ft elevation to sea level and back, otherwise have done a few 700 mile trips. Love every minute driving and never feel uncomfortable, have always been able to pass, steep grades at 80mph are not a problem. The 4cyl runs below 3000rpm with no issues, if you need to pass....you can.

If ride quality is a big deal get the base (not sport) suspension and smaller wheels. You'll be surprised at the ride quality I think.

I have a bad back and the base seats work great for me. If I did it over...would probably get a Lusso though. (With a chocolate interior..otherwise the same, paddle shifters are sweet but I really enjoy the ride handling compromise of the non-sport suspension with the larger wheels)

As far as noise, it does a great job of taking out the deep thrumming noises but only a so-so job of reducing the higher pitched noises like wind, or certain frequencies of the engine. To me the low pitched droning/thrumming is more tiresome then the high pitched noises. I am weird though.
I also have a very bad back. I have the twenty inch wheels and the standard seats. It was very comfortable.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When you test drive make sure tire pressures are set properly. I find that slightly lower pressure than door card indicates is fine as well. The door says 33F/36R but using 30/32 was just fine and tires wore well.

I drove my car extensively and it is a great HWY car. The steering is quick, you will get used to that quickly. Road noise is good, I think the 2020 are quieter with thicker acoustic glass. Power is great and mileage is good. The ride is good but firmer than most, not uncomfortable and you are not likely to feel it on the highway. Lusso would be best with 8-way power seats and lumbar, get 19” wheels. You might find the 6-way base or sport seats are perfect. Seats are firm but break in nicely. Will be way better than the Jeep and you will not be tired at end of drive.

Reactions: bpp325

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've driven my Stelvio on any number of all day trips lasting 5 to 8 hours with no problem or discomfort. Just an enjoyable journey. At age 75, I probably qualify as getting on in years too. The comfort of any particular car seat is an individual thing. So what I think is comfortable for me might not be to anyone else.

As for having enough grunt, I have yet to encounter any hills or mountains here in Oregon that my Stelvio can't handle.

My attitude for road trips in my Stelvio is bring them on. My goal is to someday drive US Route 20 from coast to coast. It is the longest highway in the country at 3,365 miles. I live not that far from the western end in Newport Oregon:

View attachment 21433
My wife and I drove 20 from Rockford Il, picked up 26 through Tetons, then rejoined in Idaho on our way to Bend.

It obviously takes longer than the freeways, but the section through Iowa was better to drive than 80, and Nebraska was actually scenic. Lots of cool out of the way historical markers and old forts. And it’s nice to drive through the towns and not just see corporate America.

We did it in an older Honda Pilot, which was a good thing because they were rebuilding a section near the Wyoming border and we were basically driving through 4 to 5 inches of muck and dirt. I don’t see how any cars go through.

·
438 Posts
I took my Stelvio on a 700 mile trip two years ago and it was very comfortable. The fact that the steering is so precise you are not constantly "fighting" the steering wheel. This in itself reduces fatigue.
Good point. I didn't think to mention that.

Once a friend and I took a weekend trip from Toronto to Quebec City. I was driving my 1969 Alfa Spider. He offered to take over driving when I got tired, but I never did, somewhat to his amazement. On the way back we swapped, his first time driving an Alfa of any sort. He then understood how easy it was to cruise all day at high speed with no fatigue.

Little difference in that regard between my 1969 Spider and my 2019 Stelvio.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've taken a couple of 500 mile trips to michigan (8-9 hrs, through chicago). No issues with
ride and comfort on the long haul. I'm 6'2 and skinny. I do not have a bad back, but I find the lumbar support
lacking. I have a small pillow with me in the Alfa that I place behind my lower back.

FTR, I had that pillow in my last vehicle and even my desk chair for work (herman miller) has a purple lumbar cushion.
I just like extra support back there.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts