Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been reading this forum for awhile trying to decide on my next car. I'm test driving a Stelvio this Saturday. I'm coming from a Jeep Wrangler, in which I make several 3 hour trips to Pa (from Long Island) a year. I've had the Jeep for almost 10 years now, and as I get older, I'm definitely looking for something more comfortable for those rides. Lately, I've been taking my wife's Subaru Outback, and the ride is so nice, it prompted me to look for a new car.

I'm all about the Stelvio because of the driving fun factor, but I understand that could take away some of the comfortable ride qualities.

Does anyone use the car for long trips? How comfortable is it? Road noise, ride, etc.

Thanks!
Long time Outback owner/driver. Also '83 Spider Veloce and just replaced 2018 base Stelvio with 2020 TI Sport. You will love the Stelvio on long trips. Left the Stelvio at my girlfriend's house and she took it for an hour's drive instead of her 2020 Outback Touring XT. Something about 280hp vs 260 or was it the seats in the TI?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been reading this forum for awhile trying to decide on my next car. I'm test driving a Stelvio this Saturday. I'm coming from a Jeep Wrangler, in which I make several 3 hour trips to Pa (from Long Island) a year. I've had the Jeep for almost 10 years now, and as I get older, I'm definitely looking for something more comfortable for those rides. Lately, I've been taking my wife's Subaru Outback, and the ride is so nice, it prompted me to look for a new car.

I'm all about the Stelvio because of the driving fun factor, but I understand that could take away some of the comfortable ride qualities.

Does anyone use the car for long trips? How comfortable is it? Road noise, ride, etc.

Thanks!
Hi, I do Long Island to Pittsburgh at least 5 times/year (420 mi.). I have a 2018 Ti early build which is I believe had more issues than most. It has 38k miles on it. Fortunately for me only minor annoyances. Additionally, I'm 6'1 and was initially concerned if I would even fit in the sports seats. I am happy to say I do and that the ride is actually very enjoyable. I presume the regular seats or if there is a difference in the Lusso seats they would be even more comfortable. I usually stop 2-3 times along the Pa. Tpke once to gas up and again to stretch the bum right knee and use the facilities. As far as road noise after coming out of a Mercedes ML-320 diesel there is a bit more road and wind noise but not annoyingly so and I would bet less than in the Subaru as my buddy has one. I actually think the ride was better in the alfa than the Mercedes and if you want more comfort switch it to N drive and you will actually feel the change in suspension, though I rarely if ever do. I've gotten 32 mpg from RVC to Pa. Tpke (yes Southern State, to Belt to Verazano (not Cuomo), to Outerbridge, to I-95 exit 6) trying to max mileage. I probably average around 24 mpg's total trip at 78mph to 80-90 (at times). The only issues I've had thus far is on one of my warm-weather runs the a/c went on a fritz. I had noticed Faulkner's Alfa in route on a previous trip and was able to get there and after a two-hour layover was back on the road. Apparently, the a/c had been filled more than the specs required so it was purged and refilled properly, problem solved. Faulkner's by the way was extremely helpful and can't thank them enough. The other issue while minor has become a pet peeve of mine. a broken driver's side visor clip. I left the visor down a bit and when reentering the car tapped it with my forehead. just tapped and it broke. This has now happened on two other occasions. I'm talking light tap. Yes, I'm a knucklehead but I've been driving for 45 years have had multiple cars, and have banged my head countless times(which might be a partial explanation for things) but have never once broken a visor. My solution is to keep an extra one in the car. Alfa if you are listening please beef up just a little some of your plastic parts and connectors. I will be adding another 840 miles come easter and am looking forward to the drive. Hope this helps and apologize for being a bit long-winded.

agoals

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Veloce 2.0 Petrol Q4
140 Posts
Alfa if you are listening please beef up just a little some of your plastic parts and connectors. I will be adding another 840 miles come easter and am looking forward to the drive. Hope this helps and apologize for being a bit long-winded.
They listened. 2020 models have a quality visor clip.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks!
I've taken it on a long road trip, twice, to Arizona, from California, 10.5+ hours, and loved it! 2018 ti sport, great handing, speed, and yes, very comfortable!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just returned from a four day trip around central/west NSW in my Stelvio ti (Sports seats) with my partner.
Since a lot of the B roads were literally filled in pot-holes with a bit of actual tarmac in-between, the ride was set to Natural for a lot of the drive (soft suspension setting in a Ti). Being outback bush driving we had a couple of stretches of dirt road short-cuts that the GPS sent us through with no problems in A setting.
Some sections where we had an open road I drove in D (firm suspension setting) but I didn't push the speed much as we do have an active highway patrol and my budget for the trip didn't include any speeding tickets on roads I didn't know ;-) The drive north from home in in the south of NSW was a meander with several tourist stops along the way to the Orange wine region but the drive home was an almost non-stop three-hour stretch on A roads at 100-110km/h (60-70mph).
I've driven the same trip years ago in a Saab 900 hatchback and although it was quite and softer, it was a bit more tiring than the lighter-driving Stelvio. To be honest I find the drive a little too light sometimes in N and I'm still getting used to the sometimes twitchy responsiveness in D mode compared to my previous Giulietta TCT Sportiva on longer trips.
The Stelvio in D - firm mode - is more fun, but on a longer haul I find N easier to drive and less tiring (and more fuel efficient).
The Ti runs on petrol* 98 Ron and I averaged 7.5 l/100 km (about 32 mpg) for a 1,000km + trip
(*I couldn't bring myself to buy a diesel Alfa!)

·
Registered
25 Posts

Thanks!
I drive r/t Denver to Miami twice a year and my Quadrifoglio is great. Definitely get the optional semi autonomous driving where it centers the SUV in the lane on the interstate. It is magnificent (not perfect but it’s awesome for long trips).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I drive r/t Denver to Miami twice a year and my Quadrifoglio is great. Definitely get the optional semi autonomous driving where it centers the SUV in the lane on the interstate. It is magnificent (not perfect but it’s awesome for long trips).
Forgot to mention my prior car was a Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude which I loved but the seats were too soft for long trips and I have more (!) headroom in the Stelvio QF

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great on long trips

Here is my thread on long trip a couple of years ago.

Will take it in on a 1500 mile trip next week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For longer drives, I prefer sedan cars just because it's lighter and easy to drive but my family prefers truck since their space is bigger. When using my Stelvio for longer drives, noise is not really an issue but I did upgrade my leather seat with more cushion just for extra softness around the behind.
How did you “upgrade” the seat cushion? I have a Ti with sports seats, and a recent 6 hour drive was a little tough on the butt. I never had any issues on 2 hour drives I’ve taken in the past. I really like the seats with their extra bolstering and thigh support.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts