Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Stelvio Sport ti
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys-
Been driving my 2020 Stelvio Sport ti for about a year. Really LOVE this car. Just needs a bigger engine!

Looking to upgrade to a QV. I'm really liking the pricing on lightly used 2019's. Is there anything I need to worry about with this model year? I'm not worried about the older gen infotainment. I'll be using CarPlay anyway.

Thoughts?

thanks
alec

·
Registered
413 Posts
The 2020 have port plus direct injection, should be better for managing carbon build up. Wouldn’t stop me from getting a 2019 though. I have been thinking about scratching that QV itch but will wait another year. Maybe it will go away? LOL.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
163 Posts
Go for 2020 and newer for the combination Port & Direct Injection fuel system...

·
Registered
64 Posts
My20 has laminated glass - a bit less noise on the motorway but you hear less of the exhaust too.
The steering wheel is thicker on my20.
No touch screen in my19. you should see if you would be happy controlling carplay with scroll wheel - I suppose you can just talk to it.
Level 2 self driving possible on my20. There is a good chance that you would get one with the option. It’s decent and very convenient for boring journeys.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio QV
17 Posts
The ‘19 models also have the exhaust closed in all driving modes except Race. There is an update that can be done to open it up in D like the newer models.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys-
Been driving my 2020 Stelvio Sport ti for about a year. Really LOVE this car. Just needs a bigger engine!

Looking to upgrade to a QV. I'm really liking the pricing on lightly used 2019's. Is there anything I need to worry about with this model year? I'm not worried about the older gen infotainment. I'll be using CarPlay anyway.

Thoughts?

thanks
alec
Our '18 had issues with the battery. Changed to an Interstate a year ago, no more issues.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love my MY19, I also don't care about the touch screen and the ADAS 2 , Actualy I used the touch screens in other cars and found them distracting. If you can find the 2020 for a fair difference the Carbon Buildup thing can be important after a few years but who knows it really? For now I do some "Italian Tune-up" and all is great. When I want to drive stupid I put it in race but I'm pretty sure that my model year 2019 opens up the exaust and does popping and craking also in D mode if I floor it. Finally my only issue has been the battery that has been changed under warranty by the great Berkeley Alfa. They put a different battery from the original Varta. It seems they were familiar with the problem.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
36 Posts
My QV's battery died around 6K miles. The original Varta batteries are a common
issue. Alfa replaced it with an upgraded Mopar. Getting it replaced under warranty
also pushed the battery warranty out should I have this problem again.

I too don't particularly care for the touchscreen because I hardly use it. And from
some reviews I've read, it's not all that quick, somewhat laggy. I actually prefer
using the joystick knobs and have gotten good with it. Besides there are only
a few things you actually switch to, most everything else is just auto setups.

I scratched my itch for the QV because I wanted to full driving experience, I'm 110%
glad I did. I know there's a large gap between '19s and '20s and if you can get a
low miles '19... I'd say do it.

All the best.

·
Premium Member
2020 Stelvio Sport ti
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My QV's battery died around 6K miles. The original Varta batteries are a common
issue. Alfa replaced it with an upgraded Mopar. Getting it replaced under warranty
also pushed the battery warranty out should I have this problem again.

I too don't particularly care for the touchscreen because I hardly use it. And from
some reviews I've read, it's not all that quick, somewhat laggy. I actually prefer
using the joystick knobs and have gotten good with it. Besides there are only
a few things you actually switch to, most everything else is just auto setups.

I scratched my itch for the QV because I wanted to full driving experience, I'm 110%
glad I did. I know there's a large gap between '19s and '20s and if you can get a
low miles '19... I'd say do it.

All the best.
Thanks, this helps. Yeah, it's a good $20K+ difference between a '20 and the '18-'19's. I hear you about the touch screen. I've got a 2020 Ti now. I almost never touch the screen anyway. Always use the scroll wheel. So that's not a thing. I'm looking at a super low mile (4K) 2018 right now. Seems to be a really good value. At least in this market. Looks like $20K off new is long over. Dealers are really not even willing to negotiate prices much. I guess they don't have to.

Anyway, wish me luck. Hope to land this one soon.

thanks!

alec

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
163 Posts
@Alec

Spend the money for a CarFax AND Autocheck.

Neither can catch everything if the vehicle is a "quick flip" - but regardless it's cheap insurance in the long run.

Just sayin' - Sometimes there is a reason for "too good to be true"...

·
Premium Member
2020 Stelvio Sport ti
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Alec

Spend the money for a CarFax AND Autocheck.

Neither can catch everything if the vehicle is a "quick flip" - but regardless it's cheap insurance in the long run.

Just sayin' - Sometimes there is a reason for "too good to be true"...
Totally agree. The Car Fax is fine. One owner car. I asked the dealer why it has such low miles. He said they've been reaching out to customers and asking if they had a car to sell. A lot of people had newish cars before COVID and hardly drove them the last 18 months. Makes sense. I'm going to grab this one.

Plus an extra extended CPO for an additional 3 years for peace of mind. With the standard CPO giving an extra 1 year this will be 4 additional years at warranty end. At that point, I'm sure I'll be lusting after the next QV anyway.

Did I mention it has carbon seats and it's Misano Blue? Favorite spec. Can't wait. Should be a BEAST.

thanks
alec

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the choice to buy new 2020 QV OR 2019. Price difference of $17k. I drove 2020 3x. I bought the 2019. ZERO, I mean ZERO difference in performance that you can actually feel. Super happy with 2019. (Prior car was Giulia Ti, tuned)

If price difference was $3-4k I’d go with 2020 just for slightly better interior, otherwise 2019 is awesome. For me I prefer 2019 infotainment and the smaller thickness steering wheel. Fat steering wheels are for cadillacs and old people.

Buy the 2019 and then use the savings for a kick-a$$ vacation to Italy. You will be doubly happy.

(The battery issue is a real issue but applies to all Alfas since 2017, so spend $300 of your saving on an Interstate battery)

·
Premium Member
2020 Stelvio Sport ti
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the choice to buy new 2020 QV OR 2019. Price difference of $17k. I drove 2020 3x. I bought the 2019. ZERO, I mean ZERO difference in performance that you can actually feel. Super happy with 2019. (Prior car was Giulia Ti, tuned)

If price difference was $3-4k I’d go with 2020 just for slightly better interior, otherwise 2019 is awesome. For me I prefer 2019 infotainment and the smaller thickness steering wheel. Fat steering wheels are for cadillacs and old people.

Buy the 2019 and then use the savings for a kick-a$$ vacation to Italy. You will be doubly happy.

(The battery issue is a real issue but applies to all Alfas since 2017, so spend $300 of your saving on an Interstate battery)

LOVE the idea of going back to Italy. We were there with the kids in 2016. Awesome trip. I also proposed to my wife on the Spanish steps in Rome in 2005. So, yeah, I'll take the Italy trip any day over a slightly nicer interior too. Great idea.

thanks!
alec

1 - 15 of 15 Posts