Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After realizing that Jersey City has a completely different climate than Greensboro, NC, I've decided to replace my 43k original Conti's with an all weather tire - I saw one note about DWS 06 tires but haven't been able to find it again - anyone have the DWS in mid-northeast, like NJ or PA perhaps - thoughts on the DWS tires?

PS: have been away from the forum for some time now - busy relocating to Jersey City - great town, loving the riverside and the bulldogs now have a whole lotta new friends. Hope everyone is having a great end to 2019, and best of luck in 2020 - the year of perfect vision???

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is 255/45-20, right? For Jersey City DWS should be great. The OEM Conti tires were A/S and they ought to work well for Jersey City if you liked them. Really any of the AS tires probably work OK for Jersey City, in and around NY. Everything gets doused in salt pretty quickly. None will be that good in really heavy snow or icy weather or if you travel to Adirondacks/New England - or even Penna - in really bad weather. The AWD will get you through but braking will be an issue.

EXCEPTION! I have read some really great reviews on Nokian WR G4! They seem really great in winter but still year-around capable. I use Madison tire in Madison NJ, I live in Chatham. If they are still available in your size you need to use a Nokian dealer.

Overall dry/wet Performance upgrade is DWS or Pilot A/S. Michelin is probably the highest performance A/S tire, but I had DWS on a 5.0s/c rwd XJL and they are great all around. Good in light snow. Not as responsive as Michelin Pilot according to reviews but very high grip. A little softer in the sidewalls. They are well proven and for a long time the current 06 and last gen DWS have delivered good winter capability for “ultra high performance”. You won’t get 43k out of them, especially the snow part of DWS, despite the 560 wear rating. My tire shop sells a ton of DWS but also says to not consider it a high mileage option. I would buy them again and will consider using them as my three season tire when the Conti crosscontact Lx OEM tires are dead. I use separate Nokian Hakka R3 for winter.

I see on tire rack a couple of new tires, Michelin crossclimate has 3-peak rating and Pirelli Scorpion Verde II seems interesting. No direct experience with any of these (or the WR G4) but they seem like good alternatives to OEM.

Reactions: TiSport

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Going to mtns..those bumps don't count. Pirelli Scorpion winters add that extra 1/2 seacon. BLIZZZK DMV2's are the real deal if you can't find Nokians

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah, if @TiSport wants a set of winters, either performance winter or true ice and snow there are better options, but he was asking about all season tires. Other threads give a lot of input on “winter” tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m in Northern Jersey about 20 minutes from JC and I can 100% vouch for the Conti DWS’s on my two previous vehicles (MB E350 4Matic and BMW 535i xDrive). I actually replaced my 535 run flats with them two years ago. It’s a great all around tire and easy on the wallet considering the quality.

·
Registered
217 Posts
@Black Stallion yup I forgot about the price for DWS, usually not super expensive, so kind of balances the short-ish tread life. I found the key to getting two winters out of them was to buy in November-December. But I drive a lot so perhaps others might get 3 winters. NYTimes yesterday cited coastal NJ as much warmer, for whatever reason, than historical trends. If not going up north for skiing or having a specific needs, winter tires are kind of a waste. I had a set of very expensive Sottozero II that in everyday terms were no better than the DWS 06 on the Jaguar. If you want more performance, have to go to a winter/summer tire combo. 255 DWS can handle the street performance needs for 90%+ of Stelvio Ti/Ti Sport drivers, and probably most Quad drivers, in NJ.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Still intrigued by Nokian WS G4, but for the next couple of winters am set with the R3.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, if @TiSport wants a set of winters, either performance winter or true ice and snow there are better options, but he was asking about all season tires. Other threads give a lot of input on “winter” tires.
Yes - a lot of winter tire stuff....I went ahead and bought a set of Conti SureContact RX's - same stats as the DWS, just a bit different tread pattern - see below. Now being in Jersey City, the Alfa only goes out when we need to take the dogs somewhere, or head south to Neptune Beach, FL, where we are now, I really don't do too much in the snow, and when we did have a few snows before, in Greensboro, I really didn't have any problems with the original Conti's. But I am not on a dirt road in Vermont, or Maine, and as a responder mentioned, Jersey City salt trucks are out before the snow - even the squall we had a week ago, so really no need for a winter set.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going to mtns..those bumps don't count. Pirelli Scorpion winters add that extra 1/2 seacon. BLIZZZK DMV2's are the real deal if you can't find Nokians
We visit Steamboat Springs regularly (fly in and rent a big SUV, so no Alfa driving out there, yet). All the locals there swear by BLIZZZK's. So far, I've not had to manage the Alfa in anything more than 6 inches and I'm lucky to not have to go anywhere when I don't wanna, and I'm in the middle of becoming a minimal minimalist, so the second set of wheels is not happening :coffee: (Minimal Minimalist - someone that likes the idea of downsizing, is doing so, but slowly, very slowly.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had them on our Porsche Cayenne as OEM and replaced them with non N Spec " Non Porsche " DWS
no snow in FL but loads rain. Tires were very good got 20K on the miles. Cayenne was heavy and had positive tow.

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had them on our Porsche Cayenne as OEM and replaced them with non N Spec " Non Porsche " DWS
no snow in FL but loads rain. Tires were very good got 20K on the miles. Cayenne was heavy and had positive tow.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I'm hoping the RX Conti's will do the trick, both in the rains around Neptune Beach and all sorts of weather in Jersey City. We did our first snow squall a couple of weeks ago there, crazy: went from sun shining to blizzard in 5 minutes. Didn't have to drive, but did get caught out with the dog...a few seconds of snow squall with the puppy

Reactions: ALFAOFFROAD

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put DWSs on my Ti Sport about two months ago based on prior experience with them and as expected so far so good in all weather conditions, although the snow I’ve driven in with them on the Stelvio wasn’t horrific. As mentioned above they are a great A/S tire. I think they are slightly better all rounders than the Michelin Pilot A/Ss which from my old TT, I thought were better in the dry but lacked a tiny bit in the wet and snow over the DWSs. I hated the OEM contis on the Stelvio and was happy to get rid of them although the on demand 4 wheel drifts and power slides were fun before I got rid of them.

My only criticism with the DWSs is they seem to flat spot a little when sitting, although it goes away quickly once you start driving. I just asked a friend who has them on his WRC this today and he confirmed his do the same. I never noticed it in the past on our old A4 but admittedly I didn’t drive it much as it was the wife’s.

If you plan on doing a lot of snow driving, go skiing etc or live on a mountain (as is my case) then a full snow tire will be worthwhile. I’m still amazed at how much difference they make, but saying that and considering how little it actually snows here (about 100 miles west of you), it wasn’t worth purchasing a second set of rims and snow tires for the Stelvio. If some cheaper winter rim options come down the road I may change my mind but the DWSs are more than adequate for what I need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts