Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite a hot debate on the Gulia forum regarding coolant.... thought I would share this with all of you fellow Stelvio Owners:

Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2018, Engine Coolant and Antifreeze W0133-2042677-MPR by Mopar®. 50/50 Prediluted. Volume: 1 Gallon. Ethylene glycol based formulation. OAT (Organic Acid Technology). CH MS-90032 replaces MS-12106.

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO ONLY USE OAT (Organic Acid Technology) in these cooling systems.... Do not use HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) that MOPAR used for a while (like in my Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the Hemi engine).

Mixing different coolants can lead to crystilization, gelling, and other bad problems which all would be costly to correct.

See following url link to a good article if you want to learn more:

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summ...-not-easy-being-green-or-yellow-or-orange-or/

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
aren't these 5 yr change intervals now??

Alfa romeo 164S, Giulia QV CCM
199 Posts
I use and carry the Paraflu Up.

https://alfissimo.com/home/1503-patronas-paraflu-coolant.html

Paraflu UP coolant. Original coolant used in Alfa Romeo giulia/stelvio. Ready to use.
PARAFLU UP is a concentrated protective fluid for radiators. It is a Monoethylene Glycol base fluid, formulated with organic inhibitors based on O.A.T. (Organic Acid Technology). Also suitable for professional use.
PARAFLU UP is a specific protective fluid for the cooling systems that contain innovative light alloy materials.
CHARACTERISTICS
Advanced stringent laboratory tests by PLI show that PARAFLU UP meets all requirements even in extreme running conditions.
PARAFLU UP mixed with 50% water allows:
l The maintenance of the protecting characteristics of the inhibitor agents.
l Optimal heat removal from the engine combustion chamber.
l The maximum protection against:
- Cavitation and electrical discharge;
- Freezing (down to external temperatures of -40° C);
- Limescale formation;
- Boiling in the warm periods, traffic, city journeys (circuit temperature up to +125°C);
- Excessive swelling of rubbers and plastic in the circuit;
- Formation of deposits in the circuit also in conditions of exasperated exercise.
ADVICE ON USE
For proper use of the product, Manufacturers recommendations must be followed.
When refilling, in order to restore the level of the fluid, the product must be mixed with 50% water. Do not use the product concentrated.
Do not mix products of different brand or origin.
RECOMMENDED BY
Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo and Iveco
TECHNICAL DATA
ASTM D 3306 Type 1, CUNA NC 956-16,
FIAT 9.55523 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REF.N°F101.M01, IVECO 18-1830-A002 CTR N°I101.M16,
Lotus Reference PE-00140, MS-90032

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
OAT is pretty common stuff now. (Corrected old incorrect info)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where is one supposed to find the Alfa spec "coolant" MS.90032? I looked at 6 or 8 brands at the local auto parts store and none, absolutely NONE, of them listed the MS spec. I finally picked a Prestone 50/50 mix with the ASTM D3306 that matches the "features" column required in the Alfa manual.
Where do auto makers come up with these obscure specifications?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
460 Posts
I went to advance auto parts and they had containers of MOPAR coolant matching the required part number on the shelf in the back (not out on display)

Where is one supposed to find the Alfa spec "coolant" MS.90032? I looked at 6 or 8 brands at the local auto parts store and none, absolutely NONE, of them listed the MS spec. I finally picked a Prestone 50/50 mix with the ASTM D3306 that matches the "features" column required in the Alfa manual.
Where do auto makers come up with these obscure specifications?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Cuse the earlier post. The Asian product is exactly what we don't want to use.

BUT, isn't the OAT product like a Dexcool...it has a bunch of Chrysler approvals as well. The people talking about color alone are not helping. Its the TYPE of coolant that matter be it traditional (green) antifreeze or OAT or HOAT.

I read that article and it provided more confusion than clarity. Seems the industry has to get their heads out of their asses and rename, recolor everything. Green, orange,red, yellow, purple. etc.
Our Stelvios, at least my 2018, WERE NOT FILLED WITH PURPLE STUFF. Maybe its compatible, but its not OE. If the requirement is to use OAT technology type coolants, it would seem to me for those topping up a system after 2>5 years like myself and needing only~1qt to do so at most, an OAT coolant should suffice.

Will someone , preferably a chemist, tell me how the Chrysler Spec MS7170 and MS9769 differ from

MS 90032 which supposed replaced MS12106. At the end of the day, they are all OAT type coolants. This has gotten to be just as pathetically bad as all the hoohaa about oil.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
706 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I need to add some coolant, because the level is below the Min mark when it is hot. That is normal?
The turbo coolant level is OK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts