Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Radiator/cooling issues

Hey everyone,

New here, signed up after seeing this post. My radiator is leaking. My mechanic spotted it at my 30K service, referred me to the warranty, and the dealer. When I called the dealer, the service manager was unwilling to look at the pictures. After some emailing - with whom I assume is the dealer manager - he scheduled my car for service.

Once they got under the hood, they noticed that oil has leaked into the radiators reservoir. Of course they first blamed me and my mechanic, then clarified later they weren't pointing fingers (it's been a cluster). I am waiting on their response still. I will keep you updated.

First 3 pictures are from my mechanic. Last 2 of reservoir are from dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Oil in coolant????Head gasket??? or major fail to a block in a coolant pathway????? Definitely a major event here!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey everyone,

New here, signed up after seeing this post. My radiator is leaking. My mechanic spotted it at my 30K service, referred me to the warranty, and the dealer. When I called the dealer, the service manager was unwilling to look at the pictures. After some emailing - with whom I assume is the dealer manager - he scheduled my car for service.

Once they got under the hood, they noticed that oil has leaked into the radiators reservoir. Of course they first blamed me and my mechanic, then clarified later they weren't pointing fingers (it's been a cluster). I am waiting on their response still. I will keep you updated.

Wow..This is surely alarming...

Not to be insulting but are you sure someone did not accidentally add oil into that reservior (ie:gas station attendant etc)?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Look at what happened.

Coolant expanded, and blew seals on the exterior, could it have blown out interior seals like the head gasket?

Yeah.

What caused it to expand?

Was the coolant topped off recently?

I'de worry about having the wrong type of coolant in...combining the 2 types can do something like what happened theoretically. Combining coolant types can do alot of bad stuff....

Something happened though. That much coolant expansion. It really seems like the engine got crazy hot.

Guessing you never saw the engine temp go way up though?

Strange...very strange. Would like to hear the diagnosis.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
*Update to my situation*

I dropped my Stelvio off this afternoon and they are going to replace the entire radiator for me.

On a side note I was given a brand new base model Stelvio with no paddles, 19" wheels and I can definitely feel the difference my EC V2 Intake and ECM Pro makes now. The loaner almost feels like a Camry lol..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh dear, looks like mine has started to go in the same place as NYCSTELVIO... Been trying to keep the engine bay clean and noticed this when I opened the bonnet.. I've cleaned most of it off so I can see if it re-appears but have left the markings on the inside of the bonnet, as you can see it looks like it's let some fluid go very finely and briefly somehow? I've been out for a run (about 40 mile round trip) and it hasn't reappeared yet... didn't notice any increase in temperature from the gauge and the fluid level hasn't dropped to nay degree and I haven't topped it off recently either.. looks like I'll add this to the list for the dealer..

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
****, thought it had sealed itself but after a trip out last night there's more.. dealer contacted will update after hopefully getting it sorted..

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Radiator/cooling issues

Hey everyone,

At 20k service. Found radiator leaking, warranty replacement done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This has been a known issue on the Giulias for years too, it's always the same place. Not the greatest design, just something that happens. Good to periodically check under the hood like the owner's manual recommends

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Will watch this carefully!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Do a Google search on radiators.

Every brand has this problem to some degree, and has since radiators became glued together plastic shells. Nothing new here, although it has gotten worse as suppliers consistently source cheaper plastics and glues.

Doesn't take much in terms of a manufacturing defect to have them start leaking, considering hot liquids generally break down glues, and heat alone hardens plastics making them brittle. (I dont think Alfa uses thier expensive glass reinforced plastics for the radiator, please correct me if I'm wrong)

Heat and liquid being the only thing a radiator handles. Not to mention the inability of the plastic to flex causing it to break from being tweeaked slightly and constantly, as the car navigates hundreds of bumps and twists daily, while the heat wears the plastic and makes it brittle...

Stupid idea everyone uses to save weight primarily. Not that aluminum radiators were prefect. Truth is the cooling system has always been a problem spot in cars...and traditionally is one of the major reasons why new cars must come with a warrenty.

Not needing the same type of cooling is maybe the second largest benefit of electric cars in terms of maintenance and long term reliabilty. (After not having the compexity of an ICE in general) Don't worry still not an EV supporter, but you have to give credit where it's due.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
"Every brand has this problem to some degree, and has since radiators became glued together plastic shells "
aside from other cooling issues - or maybe because of them, the radiator on our 1995 bmw seemed to be a 30,000 mile maintenance/replace item.
the 2008 doesn't have the radiator problem - it has the pricey to regularily replace electric water pump etc.
I think bmw (probably others too) do stuff like this to ensure dealer cash flow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just took my Stelvio to Maxwell in Austin so they can check/fix this leak. if it was not for this forum I would have not known to look at the check that coolant leak. they told me it would take 4hr to replace the parts to fix the leak

21 - 34 of 34 Posts