Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After exactly one year to the day of problem free ownership of my new 2020 Stelvio I noticed that my drivers side inner tail light had a split in the plastic and was full of condensation. It is very hard to photograph the split itself so I'm not posting a photo but it runs about a half inch top down from the top to about the middle third of the lens. There is no molding seam in the plastic anywhere close to it.

A trip to the dealer had them confirm the split and need for a replacement...which they said may not be under warranty even if they had the part....which they did not. They took a few photos to support a warranty claim, but there was no paint damage or sign of impact anywhere near the crack....it looks like it just split.

I told the dealer to order the part and that we can discuss the warranty status once it comes in. Checked on the part yesterday and it's due to arrive in time to be installed next week. Still have no idea how the crack developed...go figure.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
One or two others have reported that issue, and got it replaced under warranty, one person had an issue with it being covered, then wound up getting it covered after-all.

Sounds like your is a defect and without any obvious impact or damage point, should be an easy warranty item. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
574 Posts
After exactly one year to the day of problem free ownership of my new 2020 Stelvio I noticed that my drivers side inner tail light had a split in the plastic and was full of condensation. It is very hard to photograph the split itself so I'm not posting a photo but it runs about a half inch top down from the top to about the middle third of the lens. There is no molding seam in the plastic anywhere close to it.

A trip to the dealer had them confirm the split and need for a replacement...which they said may not be under warranty even if they had the part....which they did not. They took a few photos to support a warranty claim, but there was no paint damage or sign of impact anywhere near the crack....it looks like it just split.

I told the dealer to order the part and that we can discuss the warranty status once it comes in. Checked on the part yesterday and it's due to arrive in time to be installed next week. Still have no idea how the crack developed...go figure.
Hi Bob4southern,
If you need any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM.

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To follow up, my dealer did replace the tail light and denied the warranty claim saying the the part was damaged by an outside influence and not a manufacturing defect...even though there was no sign of outward impact on the lens itself other than a minor scratch. With the light removed I can see that the backing assembly frame had a small crack as well. Seems that the force needed to produce the crack would produce a visible outside impact but apparently not.

Alfacare did have a rep contact me, who said she had spoken to the dealer on my behalf but at first without the benefit of seeing the photos I had sent. Upon further review I was told that a nameless Alfa higher up had determined that the light was not a warranty issue. There was no further explanation offered other that what I was told at the dealer.

The warranty outcome was disappointing, made even more so that the dealer had me pay for the replacement part upfront prior to ordering it. I did ask Alfacare if they would split the cost with me but they declined.

I am going to post the original part for sale in the marketplace if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To further follow up...last week I received the usual customer contact surveys from both my dealer and Alfacare, both of which I replied to politely, but succinctly expressing my displeasure with my tail light issue and repair proceedure.

To my utter surprise I received a follow up call from my dealer informing me they were going to credit back my repair charge as a customer courtesy. All they asked for in return was that I bring the original light back to them which I readily agreed.

I'm still a bit vague as to why they changed their mind, but I would guess it was more of a local dealer decision as opposed to Alfacare or corporate. In any event, in my case it was worth being polite, professional and persistent. Go figure...

·
Registered
91 Posts
BS. My tail light was cracked the day i bought my car. I never noticed until they took the car for the BS pre delivery wash although i asked them not to do anything to it. When they brought it back tail light was full of water. Lol, they couldnt say its not covered.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ion, Alfa...I can't say for sure why they changed their mind as my service manager was out for the day when I returned my original light. After speaking to the dealership GM, I believe it was my less than stellar review on their survey that prompted their turnabout as he was clearly appalled in how the issue was originally handled on their end and with the Alfa regional manager in charge.

He also said I should call him directly if anything like this were to ever occur again. The GM is a pro who understands the marketplace and customer service.

Alfa could do themselves a favor by learning a thing or two from their more savvy dealers. Brand building is key to increasing market share particularly with existing owners as the vehicle itself is outstanding... Alfa Romeo customer service not so much at times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts