Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current issue of Car and Driver is a must for every Alfa owner.....

Aside from one sentence where the author refers to the "Elephant in the room" (concerns about Italian car reliability), it heaps praise on the Stelvio Quad....It calls out the Porsche Macan Turbo for essentially being an Audi Q 5 (which means it's ultimately a glorified VW) and praises the Quadrifoglio for its "Ferrari" DNA.....

I picked up a few extra editions to keep as "Stocking Stuffers" come Christmas time.....D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
on the dna note, today is the anniversary of adolf spawning vw the peoples car in 1934, which of course is where porsche's tawdry beginnings begin, and the macan is half audi.

all that aside, although I'm not surprised by the overall results of the comparison (hey, I bet on it), I am surprised that they didn't dwell on the elephant, and the things they do like about the other two in order to make it less of an endorsement.
the best thing about the article is it should get those gotta have the latest greatest guys willing to step up and pay the premium prices the " have them" dealers have been holding out for the last month, which in turn should allow deliveries to the "have not' dealers, mine included.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
When reading the article, it's unreal the number of options (Performance Pack) and cost you need to heap on to the Macan Turbo to get its 400 HP standard engine up to 440 HP !!!! Still leaving it at quite a disadvantage to the Stelvio....Also, they need to comparo the Mercedes Humpback (I just can't figure out their convoluted alphanumeric names) because the comparable SUV's V 8 also cannot get close to the Stelvio's HP numbers.....:big-grin

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the big difference, as noted in the article, is how the Alfa drives.
this is special trait is common to all alfa's, regardless of hp, and knowing that is why I was willing to order something I'd never seen - let alone driven.
I ordered my Giulia Quadrifoglio the same way....never drove one....saw it in person at the NY Auto Show and sat in it there....That was it....No regrets....I'm sure you'll love your Stelvio Quad !!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Although C&D said they had absolutely no problems/breakdowns with the Quadrifoglio during their evaluation, one quirk they cited was the parking brake automatically engaging when they put it in park but not automaticallly disengaging it when they took it out of park and put it in drive. That would be a good way for the parking brake to function if it automatically engaged when you put it in park and autoatically disengaged when you took it out of park. AR should have told them they can deactivate it, unless the functionality has changed on the Quadrifoglio. I rarely ever used a parking brake in the past and when I read in the online manual the parking brake does not unlock if the battery goes dead, I decided to deactivate it. However, after reading on one of the threads (woman who had the white Stelvio towed) there is no neutral release or neutral override to unlock the wheels when the electrical system goes down from a dead battery, it probably doesn't matter. Sounds like one of the things we absolutely want to avoid is a dead battery.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although C&D said they had absolutely no problems/breakdowns with the Quadrifoglio during their evaluation, one quirk they cited was the parking brake automatically engaging when they put it in park but not automaticallly disengaging it when they took it out of park and put it in drive. That would be a good way for the parking brake to function if it automatically engaged when you put it in park and autoatically disengaged when you took it out of park. AR should have told them they can deactivate it, unless the functionality has changed on the Quadrifoglio. I rarely ever used a parking brake in the past and when I read in the online manual the parking brake does not unlock if the battery goes dead, I decided to deactivate it. However, after reading on one of the threads (woman who had the white Stelvio towed) there is no neutral release or neutral override to unlock the wheels when the electrical system goes down from a dead battery, it probably doesn't matter. Sounds like one of the things we absolutely want to avoid is a dead battery.
Unfortunately, most new cars are "Laptops on wheels"......

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
you can put a bolt (alfatech will know the size) through a "delocking' lever on the outside of the transmission.
very difficult to do on a low giulia, perhaps much easier on a stelvio.
not needing a jack to get under the vehicle is something I always appreciated on vans, along with being able to work indoors with a seat.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
the new lambo and bentley suv's are also audi based.

but really, Dr, let's get it straight, Ferrari has Alfa dna. a succesful child who is giving something back to the parent.

If we are talking family, we need to remember that Alfa Romeo gave birth to Ferrari!!

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
it would be nice if a magazine did consistent weight & distribution checks on the Alfas
they are all claimed to be near 50/50, but C&D shows a giulia rwd at 49.8/50.2, and the stelvio quad at 52.9/47.1

the giulia Q4 only adds 24 lbs to the "starting' weight of 3636, while the quads v6 adds a little under 200 lbs., yet the quad is touted as 50/50
for the stelvio the increase to quad is almost 300 lbs.

4cyl stelvio vs giulia q4, about 400 lb increase, giulia quad vs stelvio quad 500 lbs.

but how much of this is manufacturers data vs weighed with equal fuel isn't clear.
one thing that is clear is that a big hitch on the back, or cargo, will improve the stelvio weight distribution, which was likely designed nose heavy because of expected use.

·
Registered
230 Posts
lost1750GTV, good to know there is a solution to unlock the wheels if the battery dies. How did you find that out? Hope Alfatech responds regarding the "bolt" and how to "unlock" the transmission because sooner or later it could happen to all of us.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Alfaholico, I totally agree with you we are driving computers on wheels these days. Unfortunately this also means the service department at the dealership not only has to have good mechanics but good mechanics who can handle the IT side of the car as well. Perhaps Alfatech will comment on how dealerships are managing this potential issue.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Jim, there were threads the about the trans lock issue on the guilia forum, a bit of a problem for towing if they don't know.
techs have to rely on codes coming up - they can verify/double check with a dvom, and if things aren't making sense they have to be clever enough to figure out why.
often enough it's trying replacement parts, the good guys won't be replacing everything under the sun before confirming (vs stumbling on) the actual problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
AR should have told them they can deactivate it, unless the functionality has changed on the Quadrifoglio.
Nope, same in QV.

And by the way the easiest way to move off from Park is just pulling on right paddle to Drive - don't need to touch gear selector.

Cheers, thebimbo

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nope, same in QV.

And by the way the easiest way to move off from Park is just pulling on right paddle to Drive - don't need to touch gear selector.

Cheers, thebimbo
Yep, and you can go to neutral by pulling both levers at the same time. And when turning of the engine P is selected automaticly. Now, how do you go to R without touching the gear stick?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
on the battery issue ("if the battery goes dead"), which is probably causing 90% of the issues for alfa in the US, I have to wonder if the odd (for here) brand they are using is a problem, or if the delays in shipping and extended time sitting on dealer lots mean the battery is essentially junk before the cars are even sold.

our 2008 bmw has the original bosch battery and IBS.
I'm not sure how AR could allow a simple and reliable component to turn into such a source of concern.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Varta junk was stock in all Lotus cars and sitting on lots premature failure etc were all contributors to reliability issues. 21st century reality is every vehicle on a lot should either have a fully charged battery disconnected or they should all be on tenders. Good luck getting that done.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Yep, and you can go to neutral by pulling both levers at the same time.

My Stelvio does not do either of these.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts