Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you recommend? I have 2 Papago dashcams and no joke, one of them shuts off and immediately turns back on when the car stops and the other shuts off and turns on once the car moves. Constant shutting off and turning on is annoying. Really don’t want a lapse in the recording. Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
How are they powered?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How are they powered?
Ac adapter. Interesting thing is today I drove with the ac on and did not experience any of the issues. It has something to do with the engine shutting off when my foot is on the brake. The way the car is designed to save gas.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you are connecting through the lighter outlet, it may be in the same circuit when in auto start as in normal stop, i.e., switched. If so, every time the engine stops, the dc power stops to the outlet.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
TiSport is correct once again: I added a USB/voltmeter from Amazon to observe charge status and the auto stop/start process drops voltage to zero at the cigarette lighter outlet. So the question is where to find unswitched power or maybe a dash cam with internal DC power (where the internal power source is supplemented by external power)?

·
Registered
354 Posts
The AC stops on Auto Stop/Start, simply because the engine is stopped, but the cigarette lighter is a safety related switched outlet, effective since I'm not sure when, but likely not long after the first lawsuit for a burned kid messing around in the car, without dad...

I like that mirror mount @Matt-Helm shows below - that seems to be a good place for power and a cam - any pictures of one installed in a Stelvio?

From below:

https://www.blendmount.com/

·
Registered
90 Posts
So the question is where to find unswitched power or maybe a dash cam with internal DC power (where the internal power source is supplemented by external power)?

Passenger footwell...remove the plastic cover for the fuses and the body comp and from there you can find always on power or switched power...that is the place from where I hardwired my V1 radar detector (but on switched power...which I think stays on during start-stop...will check tomorrow)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Passenger footwell...remove the plastic cover for the fuses and the body comp and from there you can find always on power or switched power...that is the place from where I hardwired my V1 radar detector (but on switched power...which I think stays on during start-stop...will check tomorrow)
can you add pics? PLEASE, with a little sugar on top ....

·
Registered
90 Posts
can you add pics? PLEASE, with a little sugar on top ....

Will do as soon as time permits...will try tomorrow.

In the mean time I can confirm that power stays on during SS shutdowns which I never use...but tried today.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use the Owl as this doubles as a security cam as it connects to the phone and records to a cloud. Power is from the obd port and as far as i could tell was the only one that powers from the obd, This more the reason I bought it. Install and app are easy, pricey but was a hundred off on amazon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for disappearing as I don't get notifications. The dash cam is powered by the ciggarette lighter port. Does anyone know if they sell ports that prevent the loss of power while at the stop light? Thanks for everyone's input so far!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there an unused fuse that you tapped into or did you use one of those clever add-a-circuit tap kits?

·
Registered
90 Posts
From what I remember I connected to used fuse... I have pictures somewhere, will try to find them and post them... or take new ones. Thing is that these days I am driving my other Alfas... before the snow fall.

My alarm system also provides power to the dash cam and switches on if the alarm is triggered

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I remember I connected to used fuse... I have pictures somewhere, will try to find them and post them... or take new ones. Thing is that these days I am driving my other Alfas... before the snow fall.

My alarm system also provides power to the dash cam and switches on if the alarm is triggered
Hi, is anyone able to confirm which fuse can be used that won't be interrupted by stop/start?

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Why not just
Hi, is anyone able to confirm which fuse can be used that won't be interrupted by stop/start?

Thanks
Why not just get a $99 stop/start disabler? That would solve your problem in 3 minutes. Go to alfissimo.com. I got one and it's great.

Reactions: Bsmarble
1 - 19 of 19 Posts