Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my official Alfa Romeo welcome just 52 days after taking delivery of my 2020 Ti Sport!

Went to the garage to leave for work, and no signs of life!
Had to call AAA to come and jump start my battery, and drove straight to the local dealership.

They connected the stock battery to their tester, and 2 hours later it said the battery was dead.
Seriously? Car was manufactured in 11/2019. Is the stock battery just a CR23A in a huge shell?

Anyway, The dealership replaced the stock AR battery with a MOPAR.
Can anyone please confirm whether this is a good replacement?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes it is good replacement. Obviously it is totally required and mandatory for all the cars ,whatever MY to put AGM battery as the first thing to do. I don't understand how Alfa Romeo, after all these years with obvious battery problems, are continuing to putting these non - AGM batteries in new cars????????

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You think they'd learn that Vartas suck. Must get them for pennies...

Reactions: spydernukes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agree, AGM is the best option. Add a battery tender, any one which has an AGM setting will do the job. Connect the tender when you aren't driving for a few days. I dis this when I added my AGM, and have had no issues, no gremlins!.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You think they'd learn that Vartas suck. Must get them for pennies...
It's more the fact that they seem to stick to EFB as standard.... Varta also have perfectly good AGM batteries, but they cost more ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my official Alfa Romeo welcome just 52 days after taking delivery of my 2020 Ti Sport!

Went to the garage to leave for work, and no signs of life!
Had to call AAA to come and jump start my battery, and drove straight to the local dealership.

They connected the stock battery to their tester, and 2 hours later it said the battery was dead.
Seriously? Car was manufactured in 11/2019. Is the stock battery just a CR23A in a huge shell?

Anyway, The dealership replaced the stock AR battery with a MOPAR.
Can anyone please confirm whether this is a good replacement?

View attachment 20037
Mate dead batteries in new cars are more common than you'd think. It's happened twice to me (for me 2/7 new cars - same problem - 3 Alfa's among that lot and no battery issues )... so I wouldn't say it's an 'Alfa' thing... your new wheels will be the envy of many colleagues and others. The Ti has a beautiful ride and engine note as I'm sure you alter have fallen in love with... enjoy! Forza Alfa!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mate dead batteries in new cars are more common than you'd think. It's happened twice to me (for me 2/7 new cars - same problem - 3 Alfa's among that lot and no battery issues )... so I wouldn't say it's an 'Alfa' thing... your new wheels will be the envy of many colleagues and others. The Ti has a beautiful ride and engine note as I'm sure you alter have fallen in love with... enjoy! Forza Alfa!
For sure! I love the ride on the Stelvio - the biggest issue with the car is that i cannot see it from the outside while driving :(

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio QV
60 Posts
I'm now now onto my third battery in 2 yrs. It's the only issue I've had in 60,000 km.
AGM type batteries?

Yes, when i was doing research prior to buying my Stelvio, saw just as many battery failure posts in the BMW and Mercedes forums. All manufacturers cheap out. Was worth the $200 to avoid even a single time being stranded so imediately replaced mine with an AGM.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's more the fact that they seem to stick to EFB as standard.... Varta also have perfectly good AGM batteries, but they cost more ;)
Varta AGM batteries are made in Germany. The EFB batteries are made in Hungary.
I noticed on the Carta website that that there is a new version of the EFB. I wonder why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pah ha, lol, yes I hear you...regularly go out of my way to drive past offices with reflective glass frontages just to see the car as I drive by :D - although the cabin is a nice place to be too :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will change the battery immediately when receive the car with AGM and planning to charge it occasionally with CTEK MXS 10 when it is not driven. Does anybody knows about what will be the approximate time for charging with this device, for 95ah 850A AGM battery?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I will change the battery immediately when receive the car with AGM and planning to charge it occasionally with CTEK MXS 10 when it is not driven. Does anybody knows about what will be the approximate time for charging with this device, for 95ah 850A AGM battery?
depends on how far it's discharged ;)
mxs 10 can charge with max 10 amps, so if your battery is half empty (soc 50 Ah), it would take at least 50/10=5 hours to approximate full charge, plus some time for tests and switching to trickle charge, so at a guess around 7~8 hours

·
Registered
27 Posts
depends on how far it's discharged ;)
mxs 10 can charge with max 10 amps, so if your battery is half empty (soc 50 Ah), it would take at least 50/10=5 hours to approximate full charge, plus some time for tests and switching to trickle charge, so at a guess around 7~8 hours
Thank you very much! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had 5+ Hondas for my family members over the past years. NONE of the batteries lasted 3 years. All of them received AGM, and have passed 36 months in use.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have an enhanced flood battery by varta/alfa. I have just shy of 19k miles. Everything seems ok though the start stop works more likely when I was driving it more. I just got my truck back so stelvio has been sleeping under her cover. Tomorrow I have an appt at pepboys for the champion agm h8 battery. 199 minus 25% and free install. Hoping to never have a problem. Nice thing too is the 4 year replacement when others are only 3. Good luck to all

·
Registered
36 Posts
I try not to use the battery with the engine off. As much as possible, I use the electric tailgate with the engine running. I turn off the AC compressor when I shut down the engine so it's disengaged when I start the engine next. I also installed the Stuff4Car start/stop deactivator (best $98 ever spent).
I tell myself that it'll extend the battery's life, but if the Varta batteries are crap, then it may be for nothing. We'll see.

Reactions: Anunnaki

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Actually cycling flooded batteries is good for them as long as you make sure you fully recharge them. I bet 90% of the battery fail issues are on folks "running errands" stop n go. Stop, start esp cold weather or extreme heat where AC is cranking or seat heaters etc are cranking. battery never recharges and discharged batteries WILL fail prematurely. Thos e of us that run tenders on everything NEVER haver have more than a rare issue. Typically 5+ yrs.

Reactions: bhvrdr and Anunnaki
1 - 20 of 21 Posts