Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread Too Slow. I am new to the forum. Got my base model 2018 Stelvio at the end of December 2020. Due to too many other toys in the garage I have been parking it outside. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, so it sat through some really cold Canadian nights in January and February ( - 40 C some nights, I didn't even plug in the block heater (yes, I know I should have, but I didn't...). Driving has been very limited due to working from home during COVID. It sat for over a week on some occasions without being started. No problems all winter, always started without issue, even after sitting for days in the cold. Drove it on Sunday, March 14th, no problem. Weather here is great for this time of year, (+ 10 C range). Went to start it on Tuesday morning, dead Stelvio. Like...dead. Opened the door with key and popped the hood to try to boost with my other vehicle. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree with every warning imaginable. Not enough juice from the other vehicle to start it, I had to call roadside assistance to get a stronger boost from their truck. It needed about 10 minutes hooked up to their truck before it would start. I put a meter on before hooking up, 3.5V. Finally started, complete Christmas tree on the dash. Metered it again running, 13.9V. Drove around for an hour, warning lights stayed on, but it drove fine. Shut it down, started again without an issue, all warning lights were gone. I hope that this was a one-off...
Of note, when I parked on Sunday my wife was with me, and she was talking on the phone, paired to the Stelvio. I parked, she disconnected the call from the car and went into the house. I think this is the first time that either of have parked it when on a call (similar to the situation that Native American described earlier in the thread). I think that similar to Native American's description, the car didn't recognize that we had left, and everything stayed powered up and drained the battery. I will keep an eye on it and post if I have a dead Stelvio again.
I personally think the battery tender solution being proposed by AF is ridiculous. I doubt very much that Porsche Macan owners (the other car on my short-list when I got the Stelvio) are told to put their car on a tender if not driving it every two days. The Stelvio replaced my BMW X1, and I have an Audi Q7. Both have sat for MONTHS while I have been away with work, and started without issue every time. Perhaps we should attach hamster wheels with a particularly spry hamster to the alternator to keep it charged while not driving...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same issue of dead battery with me for the fourth time!!!! For first couple, I wasn't sure if it was me by mistake doing something wrong. But again 2 times, when I was very careful, got to be some issue.

I bought it in Sept2020, and I'm in Sydney. Have booked for the inspection which is due on 3rd June. Have to wait for a month for service appointment due to high volume of customers and just 1 authorised service center in Sydney :( They should keep some spare appointments for some urgent issues like these I think. Not happy with it, but I hope apart from this rest will be all good and I hope they figure out the root cause of the battery drainage.

Also, I noticed on couple of occasions following issues:
  • turned off the car, locked and came out, but the screen was still on. I had to spend around 5 minutes to start it and properly turn off the car again several times to get everything off.
  • once we came back after around 10-15 minutes to the car and saw that all the windows were open, like fully open, and all. And we remember that all windows were closed and car was properly locked before going away.
  • I'm getting Key FOB battery low for both the keys, not even an year for the car. The other key not used too much. On one day, with the first key, it refused to start for a while due to key battery low. Luckily, it started once, and I was scared to turn the car off till I reach home. So started using the other key, and within just couple of weeks, getting battery low for this too.

Anyone had such issues?

Alfa has to get this solved once for all, given that many are facing the same battery issue. Will keep posted with what happens......

·
Administrator
661 Posts
I'm getting Key FOB battery low for both the keys, not even an year for the car. The other key not used too much. On one day, with the first key, it refused to start for a while due to key battery low. Luckily, it started once, and I was scared to turn the car off till I reach home. So started using the other key, and within just couple of weeks, getting battery low for this too.
This might be normal. The key fob batteries were almost certainly installed at the factory in Italy. So they are at least as old as the build date of your car. And who knows how old the batteries were when they were pulled from the parts bin to be installed in the fobs. It may be that they will be OK after you replace the fob batteries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had it happen twice to me and both times after a jump and driving to dealer, battery checked out OK by dealer. Afraid it will happen again. It was suggested to me by another person on an Alfa Facebook page that due to the three types of metal in the battery clamps and the salt air from shipping to the states, that a thin layer of corrosion can get between the battery posts and the clamp. Suggested removing and cleaning the connections. I am going to do it this weekend. I otherwise love the car but facing a totaly dead car in the morning twice is two strikes against it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had it happen twice to me and both times after a jump and driving to dealer, battery checked out OK by dealer. Afraid it will happen again. It was suggested to me by another person on an Alfa Facebook page that due to the three types of metal in the battery clamps and the salt air from shipping to the states, that a thin layer of corrosion can get between the battery posts and the clamp. Suggested removing and cleaning the connections. I am going to do it this weekend. I otherwise love the car but facing a totaly dead car in the morning twice is two strikes against it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi, UK here. Bought a Stelvio Milano second hand last October, 20,000 miles immaculate condition, Just love the car
Cheap as chips thanks to heavy Alfa depreciation. Never buy new.
During covid have only done local journeys. Spent a month in Dubai in January. Car left outside in winter cold started no problem. So far so good.
Then last week one night alarm sounded and all lights flashing. Car was dead shortly after. Called recovery, found battery flat, up and running in 30 minutes. Noticed from the service record that a new battery was fitted 12 months ago.
It's an Alfa/Varta. Trying to find out whether it was a warranty claim also whether EFB or AGM. Now interested to read all about people's problems
I bought from an independent dealer. However have a brilliant Alfa dealer near me (advantage of living on a postage stamp) with 20 years of Alfa nausea under his belt. Will be consulting them shortly as they love a bit of warranty work ( still have 6 months to go)! I suspect a drainage problem.
One tip: after all lights come during breakdown, turn the steering fully left and right to initialise the system: or am I teaching my grandmother to suck eggs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
6 Month (ish) update:
I have been intentionally hard on the battery, using every electrically intensive feature available (in addition to being parked outside throughout the tail-end of a Canadian winter). No issues. I have been very careful to ensure that I am not in a bluetooth linked phone call when shutting the car off. On one occasion I turned the car off while my wife was still on a call. The infotainment system (and everything else electical) stayed on in the car. I couldn't turn anything off. My wife disconnected from bluetooth and I started and shut down the car a few times before the electrical systems would shut off.
It may not be the same issue for everyone, but for me, I think I can safely say that my dead Stelvio was caused by this issue. If you turn the car off during a bluetooth connected call, the electrical will stay on until the battery dies (or until you disconnect bluetooth and turn the car on and off a couple of times).
Now that I am no longer worrying about this issue I am loving the Stelvio. So fun to drive!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello fellow Stelvio owners! I am currently encountering the same problem for the second time since March 2020 (battery replaced then). It happened again at the same place after the same drive (2 hours 40% gradual downgrade, 30% flat, 30% uphill).
My new theory is that the battery will not charge with the “A” mode while using apple car play (infotainment). I normally used N, and D mode and had no issues and only recently 5 days ago have been using A mode.
I would like to know what your thoughts and experience of the driving mode when this battery issue is happening.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
"A" mode being the most "efficient" drive mode, combined with the vehicle's "smart" charging system that prioritizes not charging the battery, for efficiency,

...very likely means the battery charges less in A than the other drive modes.

That would also help explain why"A" mode doesn't really get much better gas mileage. The real world effect is much less then the formula used to estimate it for environmental regulations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"A" mode being the most "efficient" drive mode, combined with the vehicle's "smart" charging system that prioritizes not charging the battery, for efficiency,

That would also help explain why"A" mode doesn't really get much better gas mileage. The real-world effect is much less then the formula used to estimate it for environmental regulations.
Thank you for the reply. I have since spoken to 2 dealers here, and they did not find any issues with the battery (EXIDE 12V 95Ah 850A(EN) AGM). They also both denied my theory about the drive mode.
One of them said Stelvio has an automatic "waking up to check ABS system" after a long drive and one of their cars had not shut down, draining the battery overnight.
Another case they mentioned was the fan not shutting down.
I will try to report back when I get my car back.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
What i don't know about iBScould fill a code book.
But my limited understanding is that charging takes place primarily when you are off the gas and revs are falling, so as not to drain power and use fuel.
If the revs never go up, there isn't much falling to occur, and more use of the battery for anything (didn't disconnect a phone call, used the 110 outlet to vacuum the car, auto strart/stop) sure doesn't charge it.
I dont use Anemic mode anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar electrical issues as described. 2k miles, 2021 QV.
First freezing temperature night of the year may of contributed, although the car was driven the day before. At attempted startup, plenty of codes flashed, then the car went to total electrical shutdown. Will investigate the battery as previously described, and report back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar electrical issues as described. 2k miles, 2021 QV.
First freezing temperature night of the year may of contributed, although the car was driven the day before. At attempted startup, plenty of codes flashed, then the car went to total electrical shutdown. Will investigate the battery as previously described, and report back.
Yes, one other suspicion is the heated seats and wheel. Heating does take a lot of battery power, maybe it doesn't turn off with engine shutoff, or just not enough juice in the battery, alternator, etc. Look forward to knowing what you find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I have since spoken to 2 dealers here, and they did not find any issues with the battery (EXIDE 12V 95Ah 850A(EN) AGM). They also both denied my theory about the drive mode.
One of them said Stelvio has an automatic "waking up to check ABS system" after a long drive and one of their cars had not shut down, draining the battery overnight.
Another case they mentioned was the fan not shutting down.
I will try to report back when I get my car back.
Ok, finally got a response. According to my dealer, the cause was the USB port on the armrest. They found it occasionally leaked power. They have replaced both ports (front as well), and a new battery as a precaution. Let's see if it really is the case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello fellow Stelvio owners! I am currently encountering the same problem for the second time since March 2020 (battery replaced then). It happened again at the same place after the same drive (2 hours 40% gradual downgrade, 30% flat, 30% uphill).
My new theory is that the battery will not charge with the “A” mode while using apple car play (infotainment). I normally used N, and D mode and had no issues and only recently 5 days ago have been using A mode.
I would like to know what your thoughts and experience of the driving mode when this battery issue is happening.
Ok, finally got a response. According to my dealer, the cause was the USB port on the armrest. They found it occasionally leaked power. They have replaced both ports (front as well), and a new battery as a precaution. Let's see if it really is the case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, one other suspicion is the heated seats and wheel. Heating does take a lot of battery power, maybe it doesn't turn off with engine shutoff, or just not enough juice in the battery, alternator, etc. Look forward to knowing what you find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Between the reduced revs by the engine (always going to higher gear) and the start /stop feature, limited charging seems likely.

·
Registered
13 Posts

That would also help explain why"A" mode doesn't really get much better gas mileage. The real world effect is much less then the formula used to estimate it for environmental regulations.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts