Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 Quad. Engine service light. Dealer says the need a part. Perform service not fixed. Says they need the car but cannot provide a loaner for 6 weeks. My last Alpha for sure. Good luck if this is the way they provide service.

· Registered
586 Posts
Bummer. Try a different dealer. Mine has been excellent. I've gotten a loaner every time I need it, usually a new ALFA. They even try and give me a loaner for oil changes, lol, but usually I just wait. They've also been great about proactively checking the car for issues, especially now that I've got a very nice extended warranty, lol.

Ron Lewis Automotive in Cranberry (Pittsburgh), PA.

· Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
550 Posts
Providing a loaner is dealer dependent, not a factory perk, so those dealers that do offer loaners only have a small fleet. It is the same deal with my dealer (Chicago area), I usually have to make an appointment 4-6 weeks ahead of time if I need a loaner.

There's a dealer downtown (much closer to my house) but doesn't offer loaners and their hourly repair rates are higher than the one I use in the suburbs (Joe Rizza Alfa Romeo/Maserati), worth shopping around if you have options.

BTW, you own an Alfa Romeo, not an alpha something ;)

· Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
101 Posts
Some of us don't have the luxury to find a different dealer. Garcia Alfa in Albuquerque has some of the worst service, never has loners, constantly orders the wrong parts, offers complimentary oil changes for the inconveniences but never delivers. Some of us however put up with it. I love my Stelvio, but it's on thin ice from being traded for something American. I feel for you, @Lmo . Buying a near $100k vehicle should not come with such terrible service. I wish you the best.
On that note, why hasn't Alfa done something about their service departments? They've been in the US for 5 years now, do they not hear our complaints? I'm coming in on 2 years of ownership and its beginning to get under my skin. Anyone else in the same boat?

· Registered
2018 Stelvio QV
163 Posts
I needed a loaner once and the dealership rented me a dodge minivan from Enterprise. I was I bit surprised and disappointed by having to drive a van, (after driving stelvio) but I realized they must have been out of loaners and where actually taking care of me. So I really didn't mind as it was only for a few days.
Maybe you can contact Alfa cares and they can help resolve the issue.

· Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
550 Posts
Some of us don't have the luxury to find a different dealer. Garcia Alfa in Albuquerque has some of the worst service, never has loners, constantly orders the wrong parts, offers complimentary oil changes for the inconveniences but never delivers. Some of us however put up with it. I love my Stelvio, but it's on thin ice from being traded for something American. I feel for you, @Lmo . Buying a near $100k vehicle should not come with such terrible service. I wish you the best.
On that note, why hasn't Alfa done something about their service departments? They've been in the US for 5 years now, do they not hear our complaints? I'm coming in on 2 years of ownership and its beginning to get under my skin. Anyone else in the same boat?
I did say "if you have options"...I do understand that not everyone will have two or three dealers within a 30-40 mile radio.

I also acknowledge and second your comment that Alfa care, which monitors this forum, should have done something to encourage/force their dealers to improve the service they provide, I've read horror stories about terrible dealer experiences and people sell their car and leave the brand just for that reason, even if the vehicle works well withing industry accepted reliability, so yes, Alfa needs to improve their dealer's service...and, if possible, add more dealers.

· Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
541 Posts
2022 Quad. Engine service light. Dealer says the need a part. Perform service not fixed. Says they need the car but cannot provide a loaner for 6 weeks. My last Alpha for sure. Good luck if this is the way they provide service.
Did you have to leave your car at dealership or did they say it’s okay to continue driving it until the part comes in?

· Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
496 Posts
I've been thinking about the luxury of getting a loaner car...
Say a dealership has 10 vehicles in for service (pretty small estimate for a large dealership). To give a nice round number, say the loaners msrp at $50 k. If each of those owners gets a loaner, the dealership has Half a million dollars in product loaned out on the streets. Last time I was at my dealership for service, they had 3 loaners wrecked in the past month...
If they have 20 loaners out, they have almost a million dollars sitting out there.
I feel grateful I got a loaner. They had a 6 week wait for a loaner, but due to the amount of repairs needed, wait for parts and the length of time they would have my car, when a guy that originally needed a loaner cancelled out, they jumped me up the queue.
Granted, I didn't even buy my vehicle there, I bought it used from an out of state dealer.

· Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport Vesuvio Grey
406 Posts
I've been thinking about the luxury of getting a loaner car...
Say a dealership has 10 vehicles in for service (pretty small estimate for a large dealership). To give a nice round number, say the loaners msrp at $50 k. If each of those owners gets a loaner, the dealership has Half a million dollars in product loaned out on the streets. Last time I was at my dealership for service, they had 3 loaners wrecked in the past month...
If they have 20 loaners out, they have almost a million dollars sitting out there.
I feel grateful I got a loaner. They had a 6 week wait for a loaner, but due to the amount of repairs needed, wait for parts and the length of time they would have my car, when a guy that originally needed a loaner cancelled out, they jumped me up the queue.
Granted, I didn't even buy my vehicle there, I bought it used from an out of state dealer.
My dealership sets me up with a rental care from the Enterprise down the street. This should be what all dealers do unless there is genuinely no rental car company in the area.

· Registered
471 Posts
they had 3 loaners wrecked in the past month...
Last time I left my vehicle overnight I was offered a loaner (A giulia)..then they found out I have progressive and pivoted to an enterprise rental. Apparently someone with progressive received a loaner, then that person let a friend drive it, who then proceeded to total it. Progressive said "sorry, we only insure the first guy" and the dealership was out $50K.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you have to leave your car at dealership or did they say it’s okay to continue driving it until the part comes in?
Says its ok to drive. I have a code reset tool. If you don’t reset the code every start it throws the service light and disables the drive modes. Which sucks. So I leave it plugged in and reset when I shut the car off.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Providing a loaner is dealer dependent, not a factory perk, so those dealers that do offer loaners only have a small fleet. It is the same deal with my dealer (Chicago area), I usually have to make an appointment 4-6 weeks ahead of time if I need a loaner.

There's a dealer downtown (much closer to my house) but doesn't offer loaners and their hourly repair rates are higher than the one I use in the suburbs (Joe Rizza Alfa Romeo/Maserati), worth shopping around if you have options.

BTW, you own an Alfa Romeo, not an alpha something ;)
Correct

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While dealers may not be required to provide a loaner. - Every other premium brand I have owned always did. Including Audi, BMW, and Porsche. If Alfa wants to compete with these brands it should provide the same benefits. Certainly for warranty repairs on 22 with low miles. If it takes 2 months to fix a service engine light - I hate to think about a transmission or serious engine issue.

· Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
541 Posts
Says its ok to drive. I have a code reset tool. If you don’t reset the code every start it throws the service light and disables the drive modes. Which sucks. So I leave it plugged in and reset when I shut the car off.
I’m glad you can still drive it although a pain to have to reset the code to do so.

· Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
496 Posts
I understand that frustration. When my check engine light came on due to a leak in the evap system, I was stuck in N mode (no D or A) and almost worse, was the remote start would not function whole the check engine light was tripped.
But glad I could still drive or until they could fit me in.
My Stelvio in N mode, is still better than any rental car I could find 😊

· Registered
6,322 Posts
Said this before, probably have to say it again..

Regardless of brand the availability of loaner cars is becoming a thing of the past. Right now is a transition period, some dealers have them some don't... As time passes fewer and fewer will.

Enjoy it while you have it, also get used to not having it unless you bought an extended warranty or other contract. It sucks no arguement.

· Registered
3 Posts
I just waited 3 weeks for a loaner at a dealership in NJ. Sucks that they don’t keep parts at the dealership knowing how long the parts take to get delivered.

· Registered
6,322 Posts
Or at least at a central warehouse you'de think.

Again though get used to it. The "supply shortage" isn't really going to end as far as parts availability I think. Keep supply lower then demand and prices are higher with less work, means higher profits.

Not to mention... The actual supply shortage is still "6 months" from ending like it has been since 2020......

· Registered
2022 Sprint AWD which replaced 2018 Stelvio Base
97 Posts
When my 2018 went down, I was just past original warranty and into the Mopar Extended coverage which specified courtesy transportation. The paperwork said rental up to $35/day. Pre covid that may have been plausible. Alfa stepped and asked that it not cost more than +/- $70/day. I did front the cost with their word they would reimburse when my Stelvio was finished. And that is exactly what happened. It did take weeks for the part to arrive (again that would have been far less common pre-Covid) but Alfa did cut me a check for the accrued rental expenses.

Anyone under the original 4yr/50k have a similar experience--just curious.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts