Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its less than 9k miles, went to dealership for accumulated carbon removal twice already last couple of months.
But dealer technician said, this time it needs to be replaced the engine.
They ordered the new engine and waiting for its coming from Ferrari in Italy now.

Problems was Throttle Engine Service warning light with abnormal exhaust noise and shaking issue.
I love QV but very sad this moment.

I will update further once I get the replacement.

·
Registered
2018 4c and Stelvio
44 Posts
Stuff happens, sounds like there was an issue from the get go. Enjoy the fresh engine

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Accumulated carbon removal....how did you know this was the issue?

Did the dealer tell you after you took it in because it was making noise and shaking? Or something else?

Just wondering, sounds like an issue with the exhaust valving internally. Would love to know more...always wondered why they didnt use the Multiair system in the Quad since it is a better design for carbon removal/build-up. (Would assume it was for performance, probably can't rev fast enough).

Sorry this happened to you.

My Dad once bought a Lincoln Mark VIII, first multicam, modular engine Ford ever made. Blew up after 4k miles. He started it and it froze to never move again.

Got a new engine...put 110k on the car before a dumbass took it out in an accident.

Try not to let the experience of having a bad defect put you off from a great car. Probably you'll get the new engine and never have another issue.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Damn. Awhile back I had some rough starting issues -- service throttle light, running rough, like it was on 3 cylinders. Happened twice in one week. Dealer blamed low battery (BS imo) and could not repeat the issue after keeping the car a week.

My QV has always idled a bit rough when started cold. Not bad, just a bit poppy. Then idles fine after a minute or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Accumulated carbon removal....how did you know this was the issue?

Did the dealer tell you after you took it in because it was making noise and shaking? Or something else?

Just wondering, sounds like an issue with the exhaust valving internally. Would love to know more...always wondered why they didnt use the Multiair system in the Quad since it is a better design for carbon removal/build-up. (Would assume it was for performance, probably can't rev fast enough).

Sorry this happened to you.

My Dad once bought a Lincoln Mark VIII, first multicam, modular engine Ford ever made. Blew up after 4k miles. He started it and it froze to never move again.

Got a new engine...put 110k on the car before a dumbass took it out in an accident.

Try not to let the experience of having a bad defect put you off from a great car. Probably you'll get the new engine and never have another issue.

Good luck!!!
I don't know exact code number but the dealer said abnormal carbon build-up.
I will update soon.
Thank you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
3 times and major issue. Would not a new Quad replacement be a fit for this scenario? The audit trail would worry me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Damn. Awhile back I had some rough starting issues -- service throttle light, running rough, like it was on 3 cylinders. Happened twice in one week. Dealer blamed low battery (BS imo) and could not repeat the issue after keeping the car a week.

My QV has always idled a bit rough when started cold. Not bad, just a bit poppy. Then idles fine after a minute or so.
I am getting scared....
I have exactly the same problems....specially after not starting the car in a couple of days....
What I am doing now is as soon as the car starts I press the accelerator up to 2000 RPM........
It seems it is a design problem.....same problem...rough start......service engine light....control module message...weird tac tac tac sound in left exhaust.....and then the engine seems to be running only on 3 cyl....
I take it the dealer.....well they can not replicate the issue.....or ......all these engines sound like that when cold.....etc etc
I am really scared of what it is going to happen after the warranty expires....

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'll buy it from you in trade for my perfect 2018 TiSport.

Reactions: wheelhor

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Quad CCB
139 Posts
Its less than 9k miles, went to dealership for accumulated carbon removal twice already last couple of months.
But dealer technician said, this time it needs to be replaced the engine.
They ordered the new engine and waiting for its coming from Ferrari in Italy now.

Problems was Throttle Engine Service warning light with abnormal exhaust noise and shaking issue.
I love QV but very sad this moment.

I will update further once I get the replacement.
Sorry you are having issues but the community deserves to know much more.

What were your original issues with the vehicle?

Cleaned carbon from where?

JDB

·
Registered
30 Posts
Folks, same issue exists on Giulia QVs. Search that forum for carbon buildup. Mine is in the shop now at 4405 miles for rough idle and misfires on startup. One of the guys on the giulia forum had his intake walnut blasted at appr 6500 miles. My 2020 NA QVs won’t have this problem due to addition of port injection. European models have had it since 2018. Not every rough idle start is due to carbon buildup. Thus far Alfa engineers have yet to sort it out. DeAlers end up throwing parts at it searching for a fix. If you have this problem definitely take it in so there is a record and have an agm battery installed. Reality is the cars cannot be owned without a warranty. Ensure you buy extended if you plan to hold on to it. Hey, most of us knew Italian women have a temper and throw a fit once in a while. It is what it is. OP sorry about your issues. Yes that sucks but you get new engine and squeeze them for extended warranty.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The B8 audi Rs4 and contemporaneous R8 V8s that only had direct injection had this problem notoriously. Peanut blaster was solution.

I asked for a 2020 engine when my engine was replaced (2 cylinders misfiring and metal in the oil pan), and they did ask, but were told legal wouldn’t approve unless I was willing to waive warranty and pay for labor (LOL).

·
Registered
30 Posts
The B8 audi Rs4 and contemporaneous R8 V8s that only had direct injection had this problem notoriously. Peanut blaster was solution.

I asked for a 2020 engine when my engine was replaced (2 cylinders misfiring and metal in the oil pan), and they did ask, but were told legal wouldn’t approve unless I was willing to waive warranty and pay for labor (LOL).
You could always tell them to give u the 20 with full warranty or you’ll lemon it if they go over 30 days. Lol. Who knows. Probably requires changing boxes on top of motor and god knows what else. Hopefully the hooked u up with a descent loner but even then they should be making the payments whilst it’s being fixed. Check your states lemon laws. You may be able to lemon it and buy a 20. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
And we know for certain that it's not the battery?

They have been known to spectacularly fail.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Good idea to add port Injection, that should increase reliability significantly. That's what Toyota does.

As is, be careful with what gas you put in your Quads. Grade A only, and use the entier rev band regularly.

Less issues with carbon build-up on engines that get revved to redline regularly. 4 Unusual Ways to Make Your Car Last Longer

By the same token, sitting in rush hour traffic idling for 2 hours, creeping ahead a few feet a time, everyday may be a really fast way to have a problem. The less time the engine spends idling, or running at low RPM the better. The Quad is not the best car to commute to work, or use to make short trips in regularly. It is the best car for a nice drive through open roads....

Shame they don't use the multi-air valve system since it was specifically designed to deal with carbon build up issues. Oh well, gives us lowly 4-cylinder folk something to feel good about.

·
239 Posts
I'm curious about this carbon buildup problem. Apparently it isn't an issue for my 4 cylinder 2019.

Anyway, where does the carbon build up? How is the problem treated? My impression is that pretty much anything to do with the V6 engine starts with Step 1: Remove engine.

A century ago in the 1920s carbon buildup was a common problem from what I've read. Regular maintenance included burning out the carbon.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Generally it builds up in the intake valve. Port injection "wastes" gas by spraying it in the intake port, direct injection sprays it directly in the cylinder. More efficent, but nothing cleans the intake.

The fix is to blast ground walnut shells through the engine. Works really well.

Multi-Air on the 4cyl deals with the problem by allowing for fully variable valve-timing on a stroke-by-stroke, per cylinder basis, that essentially serves to manage airflow to make sure the intake valve is not receiving any excess oil or combustion fumes.

Here's a good write up by Valvoline...the second half is an oil commercial but the first is a solid description of carbon build-up with direct injection engines.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Quad CCB
139 Posts
Gasoline Direct injection has been around for quite a few years now so I'm not buying the fact that carbon buildup on the intake valves is just something that might occur at 9K miles and a new engine will be required. BS.

I would wager that Alfa and Ferrari both tested their designs with multiple Dyno Mules to well over 100,000 equivalent miles before they even considered mass production.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gasoline Direct injection has been around for quite a few years now so I'm not buying the fact that carbon buildup on the intake valves is just something that might occur at 9K miles and a new engine will be required. BS.

I would wager that Alfa and Ferrari both tested their designs with multiple Dyno Mules to well over 100,000 equivalent miles before they even considered mass production.
I would tend to agree with you. I wouldn’t think it would be an issue till 60k or more. That said it could be the result of a bad turbo seal for example that’s leaking small amounts of oil into the intake. The car in question was inspected by an Alfa engineer. Check out the carbon cleaning thread at 6k miles on the giulia forum. It’s near the top of the new posts lists. Any car with direct injection will eventually suffer from carbon deposits in the intake and back of intake valves. Glad they added the port injection to NA MY20 quads.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts