Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading that on Ford verhicles that there is a way to paermanently disable the auto start/stop by plugging a trailer hitch tester into the lighting plug. I was wondering if the same could be done on the stelvio with the trailer hitch option. Even if the option is not installed, Maybe the wires are still there in the harness and something could be rigged up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There should be an option to turn it off since it's available in the giulia. The button is by the headlight switch in the sedan on the dash, maybe it's the same in the Stelvio? But I read that the feature defaults back to "on" every time you restart the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be an option to turn it off since it's available in the giulia. The button is by the headlight switch in the sedan on the dash, maybe it's the same in the Stelvio? But I read that the feature defaults back to "on" every time you restart the car.
Yeah, there is, but it comes back on as soon as you restart the car - which is a pain. I was looking for a way to permanently disable it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This wouldn't be the same situation as the Ford is for obvious design and tech reasons. For a lot of vehicles there are different ways to disable the system but a lot of cars can't be permanently disabled.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This wouldn't be the same situation as the Ford is for obvious design and tech reasons. For a lot of vehicles there are different ways to disable the system but a lot of cars can't be permanently disabled.
I think you're right. I chatted with @macgeek via PM and looking at the service manuals it appears that towing a trailer does not affect the start stop on this vehicle. He did have some suggestions however for rigging up a delay timer circuit to pulse the stop/start button after ignition to toggle off the start stop.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That sounds like a recipe for electrical problems down the road or something going wrong with the vehicle's computer. Has that method been tested before?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, not tried or tested, but should't cause electrical problems if done correctly. Certainly requires someone with 1. A car and 2. Some skills with electronics. Not a solution for the everyday owner.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Definitely not an everyday person fix but it is very possible and I can't see it interfering with the computer unless you short something out and burn it lol. I would be interested to see what that wiring diagram looks like though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
146 Posts
On the bright side, with the auto start stop feature, we know for sure that the Stelvio's starter can handle a lot of stress. the diagrams are great if you know what you're doing, but not something for the average owner like me. Guess we'll have to drive the Stelvio around and see how disturbing it really feels to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my wife has already said that it's a deal breaker for her :(
So I'm out of the market until there's a proven solution.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think it will be worth taking the risk if you plan on being a short term owner that stays within the original warrant term along with knowing the local lemon laws. We'll have to get used to it, before we know it this will become a standard feature in most cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I took an initial test drive today and noted the stop/start function while waiting
for the stop light to change. Note that the air conditioner was also on and running.
While at the stop not only did the engine stop, but the air conditioner fan stopped blowing.
The total time was only about a second, but perceived as longer.
I think the entire process happened as I took my foot off the brake and move to the accelerator pedal.
The combination of functions make it a bit irritating. Having an on/off switch would overcome
any objection, but it's NA. :sad
A longer test drive would be in order next time.:smile

·
Registered
146 Posts
That may be one problem Alfa Romeo needs to work on because having the fan turn off is just odd when you're driving. If the stop was longer, the fan could be off for a longer period of time as well. They just need to add in the option to turn start/stop off or risk people looking elsewhere for their performance SUV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just don't get the this thread and the similar one on the Giulia forum. How hard is it to hit the button to turn off the start/stop function once per drive? Not hard at all!! I am having too much fun driving my QV to worry about something so minor.

A deal killer on buying the car? Ridiculous.

I also have to adjust the heating and cooling and the radio quite often. So I just do it and then have fun driving.

First world problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Plus you have to put on your seat belt and push the start button. Get a Tesla so you don't have to push the start button.

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
So there is an off button? I guess I never noticed it.
Anyone have picture of the switch they can share?:eek
Off button for the stop/start is the lower button to the left of the light switch. Far left side of the dash. Goes back to on when restart car.

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just don't get the this thread and the similar one on the Giulia forum. How hard is it to hit the button to turn off the start/stop function once per drive? Not hard at all!! I am having too much fun driving my QV to worry about something so minor.

A deal killer on buying the car? Ridiculous.

I also have to adjust the heating and cooling and the radio quite often. So I just do it and then have fun driving.

First world problem.

Jeff
I agree entirely. I turn start/stop function off in our current family car (an Audi A4) every time I get in the car. I extend my arm and hit the button with my index finger: voila, start/stop is no more! It's that easy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts