Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understand, there are two settings that have to be reset when an oil change is done. One setting for the oil level and one for the count down to the next change? From what I understand, the dealer uses a device that they have access to for at least one of the resets, and a customer does not have access to that type of device.

I know many many many moons ago the feds stopped the manufacturers from requiring customer to use their shops for oil changes eat or they would lose their warranty. My questions is: I could change my oil, but if I can not do a reset on both settings, is that basically making a customer use the dealer or pay an added charge just to get two resets done?

Any one know if the owners can do both resets, my understanding is we can not?
Thanks in advance. I do know that the first oil change is on Alfa.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sooooooo do you mean that our local mechanics can't even do a simple oil change for us unless they buy the special tool??

Marzio or Alfatech can you guys weigh in on this?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sooooooo do you mean that our local mechanics can't even do a simple oil change for us unless they buy the special tool??

Marzio or Alfatech can you guys weigh in on this?
As, an owner, we can do an oil change, but not sure how we can reset the oil level and time to the next change. Maybe there is a device we could buy that can do that, but why should we have to do that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been reading the threads over on the Giulia forum about this since they are more likely a bit ahead of the Stelvio when it comes to oil changes. Right now it appears that the only way for a consumer to reset the two oil settings will be with multiecuscan software and an interface OBD tool, but from what I can tell, it appears no one has actually tried it yet. The other option would be to have the dealer do the reset.

Ray

·
Registered
508 Posts
As, an owner, we can do an oil change, but not sure how we can reset the oil level and time to the next change. Maybe there is a device we could buy that can do that, but why should we have to do that.

what i meant was that if an oil change needs a special reset tool then we are obliged to go to the dealer ..... which really kind of SUCKS!!!

·
Read Only
849 Posts
You can found a more cheaper service center, in Europe the warranty is ok even if you use another service but with detailed bill with the same or better parts, oil and filters.
No way for diy, no warranty and in the and, you need tester or Leonardo or multiecuscan and so on to reset the service indicator.

Last but least the service log history on alfa mopar servers not updated.

Make service on our own car is ok only at the warranty end

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
We'll figure it out. Even BMWs have a trick you use to get in to the stuff and reset everyhting. I did it for years. I will change w\my oil as I let it drain 30 minutes to get the smutz out and I just enjoy basic wrenching as I can swear under my car but never with my patients!!! There will be a reset pattern, something in OBD etc Only 2 vehicles I ever allowed a dealership to touch were those that included scheduled maintenance, and frankly, were impeccable!

Reactions: Angel Rain

·
Registered
617 Posts
You can simply reset the oil change & service warnings using the OBD tool MultiEcuScan (MES) :
https://www.multiecuscan.net/

However, note Alfa have added a SGW (Security GateWay) in later models start of this year, blocking the ability to write to the OBD port.See:
SGW.pdf

·
Registered
2,527 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
It looks very nice for DIY people like us... but is it safe enough?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have to assume that when you manufacture and market something like that safety would be of paramount concern. An injury or fatality would destroy the company and would put folks in jail. I can't even imagine the liability and insurance for the company should something go wrong.

The video also shows a locking mechanism when lift is at highest position.

I think a used one would be a good option but am not certain if the warranty would transfer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Has anyone done the oil change on the diesel Stelvio... as some say the oil gets all over the place from the oil filter :-(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Asking all DIY people: do you have any experience with a portable jack like this,

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/be...MItrS1nprC4QIV4R-tBh3D_weVEAQYASABEgJcovD_BwE

the video makes it pretty clear.

A used one might be worth it for a homeowner. Opinions?
I actually have a set of QuickJacks. They're not the scissor lift that Alfaoffroad is thinking of (based on the fact that he said decades and the QJs are only a couple of years old).

They work.

They're a huge, heavy, and utter pain in the ass. I MUCH prefer lifting with a normal floor jack and placing the car on jack stands. The only reason we have to use them is that my van has no jacking points to lift from at the same time as putting in a jack stand. The actual lifting motion on the Quickjacks is smooth and effortless. However, fighting them into position under the car just sucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts