Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a Stelvio Ti Sport owner, and this post seems to be a good fit here. Hopefully will be helpful for community! I have never done performance upgrades to a car, though I am starting that journey with this car, since the car is such a blast. I have access to a good tuner with experience with this engine to guide and complete the work. Really excited. I figured I would document the journey here. Ideally I would give quantitative measurements at baseline (like Dragy, or dyno - still seeing if a dyno exists that can run this car where I am), though my upgrades are scheduled to be installed soon, and I don't have a Dragy yet. Therefore, while there will not be a stock baseline, I'll definitely start recording quantitative measurments of progress as it becomes available to me.

Car is stock currently. Here is what is being installed on the first round:

Remus catback exhaust
Momentum GT cold air intake
Upgraded diverter valve
Eurocompulsion phase 2

All these parts are purchased, and are in transit. Some parts will likely be installed this weekend as they trickle in. I will also work on sending the EC tune file to EC this weekend, most likely.

I'll document as I go in this thread, definitely with plans to add measurements in hope it will be fun/helpful for community. I see this as a fun project, so I will definitely keep upgrading after this, as parts become available (next upgrades will likely be springs and much lighter rims, both of which I am still choosing).

Included are some photos of the car now. Look forward to updating here on this thread as the build starts!

Till soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Grab a dragy and get a baseline definitely. Without a baseline its going to be an exercise in futility. Baseline your 40-100, 60-130, and your 1/8 and 1/4 mile traps. Thatll be more useful than a dyno

The baseline is everything. Your baseline is going to be dependent on things like density altitude and fuel quality. So you want to see where you went from there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dragy ordered, and scheduled to arrive before mods this weekend :) The only issue is I don't know if I can find a safe spot for the 130 before this weekend. I am eventually planning on taking it to a track that would allow this testing. I'll do what I can safely. Dragy in transit though!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Awesome. 130mph takes a long time in this truck. 150 took a loooooonggggg time lol. You can always flash back to stock and test then flash tune and test in the same day. Thatll take weather out if the equation. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea. Glad it takes a long time - makes improving it all the more fun. :) Definitely excited! Will update for sure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a couple baseline runs today. It's not a good place to get 130mph, but fine for 1/4 mile, so I got that baseline at least. I don't see a 40-100mph option in the Dragy unit recording options. If I hit 100mph would Dragy record that time stamp (then I can derive 40-100mph time stamps I assume)?

These times are in dynamic, and no a/c, of course. These are not brake torque starts. Just putting accelerator down as normal. I'm not really trying to see how fast I can blitz the 0-60mph, but rather, the function is for me to measure comparative improvement throughout the modifications. Posting for those interested. I'll likely go out and try and get the 100mph time later, to derive the 40-100mph, if I can do that. I did out and back runs on the same road area. Posting 0-60mph, and 1/4 mile. Therefore, 4 files total (out and back for both).

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Are those stock or tuned?

Nice work. On the main GO dragy page hit the + sign and it allows you to make a custom parameter. Make it 40-100

For trap speeds don't worry about launch but if you want to see consistency in times brake torque to 2000rpm and release.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Awesome.

Ill get you on this list...

Looking at trap speeds vs weather you're spot on. I did 100mph in -700da. You did 98mph in positive 500. Then i did 96mph in positive 1500.

Ill take trap speeds over dynos any day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very cool. Thanks for adding! I'll definitely add to that list as I get the mods and Dragys done!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updates! Spent a few hours with the tuner/ mechanic working on the car today. Awesome dude. He has much, much more knowledge than I do about tuning (which is why I am thankful that he is doing all the work on the car). He is working with Eurocompulsion to make the tune based on what we are looking for. I'll update more on some of the fun tune details when that is done.

Later this week the tune should be back. Once it's back I will do the Dragy again with just the tune, now that I have a baseline. Then a week later or so, installing exhaust, upgraded blow off valve, cold air intake, as well is some other things (2 new rear tires, sparke plugs just as part of maintenance, and, slotted rotors with ceramic pads). After the new performance bits are added, I will Dragy again, so I will have stock, tune, and tune + hardware, to report on for some Dragy comparisons. Not long now, things are moving fast!

After this we are lowering the car slightly, and getting some good rims to get the rotational mass down.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
180 Posts
@rewmeo

Good work on establishing a baseline - those are some nice 1/4 mile times & trap speeds for a stock Stelvio.

Say - what is the date of manufacture of your 2018?

I ask because the consensus is that the pre SGW (Secure Gateway) early builds have more HP than the SGW builds.

Your date of mfg. is on the pillar of the driver's door.

Looking forward to seeing the further reports on the build!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@rewmeo

Good work on establishing a baseline - those are some nice 1/4 mile times & trap speeds for a stock Stelvio.

Say - what is the date of manufacture of your 2018?

I ask because the consensus is that the pre SGW (Secure Gateway) early builds have more HP than the SGW builds.

Your date of mfg. is on the pillar of the driver's door.

Looking forward to seeing the further reports on the build!
Wow interesting about the HP differences. I didn't know that! Manufacture date is listed as 09/2017. Seems like I do have an early one. I'll definitely update on the new Dragy times as soon as I get them!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@rewmeo hows it going so far? Any tentative results?
Not yet. The mechanic has been busy past few days. I did at least do the data unit read on my car. The tune I think should be in by today/tomorrow. Tune is being sent directly to the mechanic as he is working directly with EC on the tune. I am hoping I can get a tune-only Dragy read before the additional hardware gets installed. That depends on my availability and the mechanic's. One thing we are waiting on is the Remus exhaust, given the shipment from Germany. I think that by this weekend I will either have just the tune, or the tune and the hardware. I'll update for sure!

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
180 Posts
Wow interesting about the HP differences. I didn't know that! Manufacture date is listed as 09/2017. Seems like I do have an early one. I'll definitely update on the new Dragy times as soon as I get them!
@rewmeo

You're Stelvio was built one month earlier than mine - I have a 10/17 pre-SGW.

When I picked up mine frrom A-R Newport Beach, I had a couple of hours to talk to various people at the dealership while the paperwork was being processed.

The Service Manager was the first one I spoke with, and as our conversation progressed, he was very forthcoming and brought this to my attention.

He said, after mine was taken in as a lease trade in, he did all of the necessary service, software upgrades, recalls, and finally the CPO process.

After servicing, he (and my salesman) both used it as a "go fer" car between dealerships in the group and for general "go fer" chores. That's when they noticed more "ommph" from the 2018 than the new 2020 models that were coming on line.

Their bottom line to me was that despite 2018 and 2020 supposedly having the same HP, BOTH guys agreed that there was something going on under the hood with the early builds/pre SGW models that gave them a much different "seat of your pants" feeling than a currently available 2020.

When I joined both this and the Giulia forum, I started to read the same thing about the early/pre SGW builds. There's speculation that the extra HP is due to the early factory ecu tuning and/or engine assembly method.

You're 1/4 mile time and trap speed seem to hold true to this - your Stelvio is smokin' in stock trim/tune.

Kinda' makes me want to run mine with a Dragy :cool:

·
Registered
666 Posts
@rewmeo

You're Stelvio was built one month earlier than mine - I have a 10/17 pre-SGW.

When I picked up mine frrom A-R Newport Beach, I had a couple of hours to talk to various people at the dealership while the paperwork was being processed.

The Service Manager was the first one I spoke with, and as our conversation progressed, he was very forthcoming and brought this to my attention.

He said, after mine was taken in as a lease trade in, he did all of the necessary service, software upgrades, recalls, and finally the CPO process.

After servicing, he (and my salesman) both used it as a "go fer" car between dealerships in the group and for general "go fer" chores. That's when they noticwed more "ommph" from the 2018 than the new 2020 models that were coming on line.

Their bottom line to me was that despite 2018 and 2020 supposedly having the same HP, BOTH guys agreed that there was something going on under the hood with the early builds/pre SGW models that gave them a much different "seat of your pants" feeling than a currently available 2020.

When I joined both this and the Giulia forum, I started to read the same thing about the early/pre SGW builds.

You're 1/4 mile time and trap speed seem to hold true - makes me want to run mine with a Dragy :cool:
Mine is 2019 with sgw and i trap 100mph stock in good weather.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts