Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Looks like tomorrow evening I will be able to have the Turbosmart Kompact installed, as well as the AFE Momentum intake. I won't be able to get Dragys in until mid week, or next weekend, as family visiting, but I will get them done! Just wanted to update! I can post some verbal subjective impressions prior, followed by the data.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Hi all! Still a busy family weekend here, so can't get Dragy meaure till next weekened most likely, but updating that mods are half installed. I say half because upon opening the AFE package, mechanic discovered that AFE forgot to pack a fitting part, meaning mechanic had to temporarily improvise and had to use the stock pipe for now. It works fine though! When the fitting arrives, we will add on the AFE pipe. I might wait for that pipe to go on before Dragy, not sure. Wanted to update! Hopefully Remus arrives soon. There was an update from Remus that stelvio shipments very recently went out, so hopefully not long! When I get to drive properly later this week I'll post subjective impressions, followed by Dragy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Ti Sport Q4 - Visconti Verde
72 Posts
I just tuned into this thread. Am I correct, no measurable differences between stock tune and EC phase 2 up to this point? Dynamic mode is what I'm interested in getting your impressions about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Greetings! Based on measurements, there may be a slight difference from my personal experience going to EC Phase 2 (you would be interested in the last row of both tables in post #36). As examples, I saw an increase in 1/4 trap speed of 0.91mph, and a decrease in 40-100mph of 0.26 seconds. This was without any physical mods.

Regarding physical mods, I am still waiting on the fitting so I can add the AFE pipe section. Currently I have just the AFE cone filter installed, and the Plump Kompact valve. Still to install (parts on way) are the Remus exhaust and the AFE pipe. With the current mods, I did do an intermediate test run while waiting for parts recently (so this is with the AFE cone filter and Plump Kompact). I don't consider this a controlled test that I will add to the tables. Specifically, I am trying to do my proper testing as best I can (as you can see from the tables), controlling for both density altitude, and temperature. Still though, here is the most recent Dragy with partial physical mods installed (see photos above) and EC Phase 2. Note the decreases in both density altitude and temperature for this test relative to the more tightly controlled tables. When I get the additional mods installed, I will do testing on a day with similar DA and temperature relative to the tables, so comparisons are more reasonable.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Just wanted to add an update that I am still waiting on Remus, as well as AFE, hence why all is quiet here. Density altitude was low the other day, so did a quick 0-60 leaving where I live, for some fun. First time I have gotten under 6 seconds (non-torque-brake start). Amazing how potent density altitude is to engine efficiency! This isn't part of my controlled testing (as my controlled testing is all around 1,500ft desntity altitude). However, still nice to have some fun and dip into the 5's on a standard launch! Thought I would share, while I wait for parts! Wasn't doing a quarter mile or 40-100; more just a non-rigorous fun measurement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

·
Registered
509 Posts
Kozakon giuliaforums has a hybrid turbo. If you message him he'll tell you more. Focus RS wheels in our housing.

Running a turbo from a different engine ranges from requiring a ton of fab on the easy side to no way possible on the hard side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Quick update here. Still waiting on Remus exhaust. They sent a message stating that the connector pipes (see photo) were incorrect in a shipment they received. Therefore, they had to wait on selling that batch until the correct connector arrives. I have very much appreciated them staying in touch! All still quiet here, though hopefully more installs soon! Wanted to update.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
ugh I hear you! Hopefully they move quickly. I was tempted to switch exhaust, though I like the sound of Remus, so I will give them a little more time. :) After these mods, next step will be rims to lighten things up. Then, I would like to add a downpipe most likely.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Seeing what your your intake/exhaust does with the Phase 2. Shame you didn't do the brake lock numbers from day 1 . It is a Significant improvement over just mashing the pedal as boost is already dialed up.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yea I do and Toby and I just talked about it. Without the intake and exhaust, the tune is neutered. Been there felt that.
I know what an extra 100+hp does as the ETG tune on my RRS with pulley made very similar seat of the pants results. When I traded it in in March, the sales manager and a tech took a ride in my RRS and came back with big grins on their faces. Both said V8 power easy......we will sell it in a day with this!! Btw The 3.0l HST turbo motor is awesome out of the box and needs no help!

Reactions: rewmeo

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I will politely continue to disagree with you. Toby tuned me for 93 octane also, not the standard 91. Everythung together adds up and my Stelvio is fabulous. TUNE beats piggyback 9/10 tumes IMHO. I Have z mile long uphill run I 've done a thousand times, I know I lift at 120 now in same place I'd see 110 previously. Don't need draggy for that just like knowing topspeed at end of LRP front straight or WGI back straight. BTW lift Maserati at 135 there!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Thanks for following @ViscontiVerde 164L* ! Yeah I am excited to see how the exhaust and intake helps. I'll measure for sure. I'm just pumped a company (i.e., Eurocompulsion) is working on this engine. I'll share results with them for sure. See if we want to make tweaks. In the meantime, waiting game still on exhaust UGH. Combination of a factory mistake (not Remus's fault), as well as supply issues, is slowing down Remus alot. One day! In the meantime I am messing around polishing and cleaning the car, having fun that way. This weekend 2 front tires go on, which will make all 4 tires new, and also doing oil change and balancing.

Yesterday a doge charger SRT (2010 model maybe?), tried to race me off the light (twice). I was around 5 car lengths ahead by the time we hit 70mph (and I wasn't brake starting!). I rolled the window down and gave him a thumbs up after. He was having a good time, and he shouted "damn that thing is quick!" That was fun. We also got out to an empty safe road and ran the car faster. Past 70mph I was still holding (still wasn't able to close in...I was actually still pulling away!). Super fun.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Key to my observations is time of year and temps I drive my Stelvio the most. It is definitely quicker at 30 degrees than at 80 degrees. It was 80 for the first time a few days back and the dreaded take off lag has returned which means left foot season returns for those few blind intersections where I WANT TO GET MOVING ASAP. I have read a lot of crap on the Guilia forums and don't bother anymore. Consistent technique is something it takes far more than a Draggy to reproduce. I strongly suspect the open airfilter down south hurts. It definitely helps us up north with cold air a plenty. Anyone that has ever owned a turbo knows this. The V2 tubing actually did more than the filter as I avoided the filter for 6+ months. It is a premium quality smooth internals part so it acts just like polished ports used to to smooth airflow. I tend to belive the EC guys because, as you can see, they have done A LOT of testing on intakes, intercoolers etc. That uphill run gets used by a lot of us in my area. Beign quite friendly with the local police as patients etc over the years I always pointed out to AVOID radar on that hill as it is the absolute safest place for anyone to mash the gas. You take it away and they go to less safe places. Never see radar on that hill. Can count the number of times in almost 30yrs on 1 hand...usually some rookie that hasn't been educated yet.

Mine is good enough for what it is. It was great stock. It is much greater now.

Got my office manager in a Monza Red 5000 mile 2019 Guilia Sport yesterday. They felt VERY similar. She is esctatic and takes delivery today. So I am doing my part to support the brand.

Good luck with your build! Redo your numbers with a proper brake launch. A consistent 2500rpm launch is more accurate than varying speeds of releasing brakes and mashing the gas. It is also testing true capabilities just like every tester for mags does etc. Toby is emphatic when he says folks doing to meant for cars with increased airflow will see poor results. The straight center section on the Stelvio has a flattened area that is the cork in the bottle. If nothing else, you will love the mature deeper tone of the Remus. Also my car was tuned at 5600 miles so as a DI motor, no carbon build up etc. At 50K, I'd love to see how much reduction in performance has potentially occurred already. Surprised bvrdr hasn't picked up on that detail yet. granted I have not heard about these issues specifically in the Multiair motors, but it seems to occur in most other DI engines.....a 50K 2.0 turbo has worked a lot harder than a 50K 7.2l V8....just sayin..there are threads inhere than consider the posibillites. You drive nice and hard...good. If the prior owner drove like grandpa hypermiling everywhere..real bad.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts