Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
Update from Remus is no change on order status. Not their fault though. They have updated that a combination of a factory mistake in the production line, as well as a shortage of metals, really slowed them up. As I mentioned before, I have appreciated that they have communicated. Have to keep waiting!

In the meantime, I will just drive around chasing density altitude. Speaking of, another dragy this morning which, I will attach. This one is interesting, as the first ever dragy test I did (in a post on page 1 of this thread) was at 532DA. This was not part of my testing as all the testing runs happened to be at around 1,500DA. The DA for the dragy run today was close to my first dragy run (i.e., 479DA). Therefore, we have a fun little ad hoc comparison at around 500DA of stock to tuned+some hardware mods:

1/4 mile trap stock (~500DA) = 98.25mph
1/4 mile trap tuned+cold air intake+diverter (~500DA) = 99.42mph

Based on current testing, one could extrapolate that gains from stock to current build is somewhere between 15hp - 25hp or so. I am excited about gains - it is a start! Onwards and upwards!

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nice work. Can you post your best stock slip? EDIT: nevermind. you already posted it. I look forward to your datalogs. Thatll really help understand whats behind the power.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Nice work. Can you post your best stock slip? EDIT: nevermind. you already posted it. I look forward to your datalogs. Thatll really help understand whats behind the power.
I'll definitely get the data logs going in next few weeks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
While still waiting on exhaust, musing about build ideas. Any thoughts from community on twin-turboing the 2.0?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Q4 Sport, MonteCarlo Blue
100 Posts
While still waiting on exhaust, musing about build ideas. Any thoughts from community on twin-turboing the 2.0?
Not a good idea. In general terms, there isn't enough exhaust gas in a 4-cyl to spool two turbos. A better twin-scroll single turbo is our best bet. Even the Mercedes 416Hp M139 2.0L is a single twin-scroll turbo...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I spoke to the tuner I am working with. He agreed. I asked whether a second turbo was a good idea, to which he responded simply, "no." LOL love it. He said he is trying to work with companies to find a way to upgrade the coolant reservoir and heat exchanger.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I spoke to the tuner I am working with. He agreed. I asked whether a second turbo was a good idea, to which he responded simply, "no." LOL love it. He said he is trying to work with companies to find a way to upgrade the coolant reservoir and heat exchanger.
Not sure why. Our iats are great right now. I hope theyll work on hybrid turbo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Not sure why. Our iats are great right now. I hope theyll work on hybrid turbo.
Yeah good - point I'll mention that to him next time I see him (which hopefully is the Remus install!), and see what he was thinking.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Seriously! Yes still waiting on Remus. Mechanic has been in regular communication with them. No word on when they can ship it, and it has been 4.5 months since I ordered it. They are actually refunding me for now, and they said they will contact as soon as it is ready in stock to ship.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
There are other brands to consider, but I think their piping diameters etc are what you want to look for. Even EC complimented Remus for having the best solution they have seen.

Reactions: rewmeo

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
There are other brands to consider, but I think their piping diameters etc are what you want to look for. Even EC complimented Remus for having the best solution they have seen.
Yeah I think I am willing to wait for a bit, as I really like their product. I'll update for sure as soon as there are developments.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Alrighty all. I finally got my hands on a Remus catback (with the non-resonated mid-section, and resonated axle-back section). It should be here in 6 days. If it arrives then, I will have it installed not this weekend but next. I will definitely post dragys, and add to the tables in this thread so we can see results. I'm excited!

Therefore, so far the upgrades are:
Remus cat back
Plump diverter valve
AFE cold air intake
Slotted rotors
Carbon ceramic pads
Eurocompulsion stage 2

Car has 60k miles. I have driven it 30k myself, and it has been a tank, blasting across Arizona and New Mexico all day through the desert on a cross-country trip included, never any issues. Loving it!

Dragys soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Per tracking number, exhaust should arrive Tuesday. Definitely will post dragys that next weekend. I will only do the actual testing for tables though if the density altitude is very close to the range I am keeping it within, to control for that variable. In the meantime, hanging out at the alfa dealership getting oil changed. The folks here are a blast. We were looking at the turbos. Here are some photos of our turbos if anyone is interested in the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Decided to wake up early and get Remus installed at the exhaust shop today. I have had some very brief time to drive around. This is the first time I have had a performance exhaust installed on the car. Something I immediately noticed, which some others have mentioned that also have installed the Remus exhaust, is that at low rpm (1500rpm or so), there is a low humm/drone sound. I actually find it pretty annoying. The sound at other rpm is fine, and generally what I expected. Do folks with this Remus cat back resonated exhaust also experience this low humm? When cruising in traffic I hit 1500 rpm frequently when decelerating, and briefly while accelerating, and I am not liking the drone sound at all. Does this go away eventually that folks know of?

·
Registered
670 Posts
1600rpm to 2100rpm is the drone zone. Make sure you put tips on it. The turbulance in the stock rear tips causes about 30 percent of it. Still sucks but its better with tips on it

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
1600rpm to 2100rpm is the drone zone. Make sure you put tips on it. The turbulance in the stock rear tips causes about 30 percent of it. Still sucks but its better with tips on it
Good to know. Yeah I'll try and give myself time to get used to it, but really not liking the drone so far.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Good to know. Yeah I'll try and give myself time to get used to it, but really not liking the drone so far.
Yeah you dint eant to get used to it because passengers sure wont lol. Ditching the stock fake tips and putting on real ones does cut it down by about 30 percent. Some folks on the giulia board then put dynamat on resonance panels on the floor

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I appreciate the advice. Thanks! Yeah definitely want to stay positive and try and fix it. There are plus sides for sure. For example, above 2500rpm the engine sounds more fun for sure, and the noise between shifts is fun. Also, generally speaking (except for the drone at low rpm) it is not an invasive sounding exhaust at all, which is exactly what I wanted.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts