Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very happy to confirm you can do donuts in a TI Sport :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know what your definition of donuts is, but I also got fresh snow and tried today (in D mode), and the most tail-out attitude it will allow only lasts for about 120 degrees of the full circle. Then it limits the power to a neutral circling, until at some point it decides that it can let the rear slide again for a bit...

I should mention that although I have a Ti Sport, it is currently running 18" Michelin X-Ice winter tires, which may lead to a different donutting attitude compared to the 20" all-seasons.

What is fun, is that exiting a slow 90 degree turn on full throttle will allow a bit of tail out attitude before straightening out, and it will make you look like an expert by limiting the power before fishtailing the other way.

I also tried out my local twisties, this being the first time I've had proper fresh snow since putting the winter tires on, and I have to say that these Michelins are very very very good!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Find snow
2. Warm up car thoroughly
3. Put in D mode
4. Spin the wheel, push the throttle
5. Smile!
It also helps to down shift into 1st and keep the throttle on :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
How did you turn off TC?
TC is much less controlling in D mode making it possible to do donuts. Requires more throttle than if you didn't have traction control on, but it does work.
Hmm
I’ll try again next snow, but last one I went to an empty lot and was very disappointed in the fun factor. Impressed though with how it will keep my wife safer when she’s driving.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just got back from a grocery run and was able to find an empty lot which wasn’t plowed yet.

Stelvio in A will understeer and get mushy if you deliberately try a hard turn at speed in snow or slush.

I was able to get three full rotations at WOT in D before I got bored with donuts. In D it will fishtail a lot but the nannies step in pretty effectively when it’s actually getting out of control.

Braking on the Michelin AS3+ In eight inches of slush and snow was shorter than the factory Contidonettis in just the rain. I’d say it’s safer than both generations of WRX I’ve driven and a lot safer than my Kia.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awesome in the Snow

Two great experiences this weekend in the Stelvio

1) . After Snowmageton I was able to get my wife to her PT which was 30 miles away with no difficulty. There was about 6 inches of snow and slush, I was ahead of the plows. Most confident I have ever been in the snow (Continental 19 inch wheels on Sports TI).

2) . Took my 16 year old out to learn to drive in the snow this weekend as well. We found a parking lot with 10 inches of unplowed snow. In "A" he could not lose the tail. We had to go to "D" to get the vehicle to lose control. He originally did not want to go - video games were calling. But after we were done - he told me how much fun he had.

Great to have a vehicle that allows me to "dial" in the experience I want when I want it.

:grin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts