Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With CA gas prices, I’ve been driving in A mode a lot. A mode to warm up the engine and whenever I’m on the freeway. Then D whenever I’m on the streets (and of course hitting the forza to open up the valves).

this has yielded me an average MPG of 18-20 (peaking at 25.8 on long stretches of freeway)….vs my previous average of like 12 (I love hearing my exhaust).

anyone else drive primarily in A? I know it’s boring but I’m mainly curious if the advice about staying out of A has any merit to it.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Wow, can't argue with those results!

Anyone get better outside of A?

BTW... Drive in any one mode too long.... And it'll start overwriting the tranny programming of the other modes. It's a learning transmission and there is a finite amount of memory, so eventually it will overwrite itself. Be careful with A.

·
Registered
43 Posts
With CA gas prices, I’ve been driving in A mode a lot. A mode to warm up the engine and whenever I’m on the freeway. Then D whenever I’m on the streets (and of course hitting the forza to open up the valves).

this has yielded me an average MPG of 18-20 (peaking at 25.8 on long stretches of freeway)….vs my previous average of like 12 (I love hearing my exhaust).

anyone else drive primarily in A? I know it’s boring but I’m mainly curious if the advice about staying out of A has any merit to it.
I'm not familiar with the last part of your post. Why stay out of A?

I like driving in 'A'. Yes, the exhaust is amazing. But there are times when you just want to drive from A to B, have the radio on, and aren't interested in doing 0-62mph in 3.8s or listening to that tubular orchestra it calls an exhaust.

It's quiet, it's comfortable, and gets reasonable fuel economy for a car with 500hp+. I'm a fan.

Reactions: Matt2172

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also: Not to be that guy, but I always find it amusing when Americans complain about gas prices.

Petrol here is £1.87/litre. That's $2.26 in your money. And if you want the gallon rate, that's £8.50/gallon ($10.27/gallon in Freedom Bucks).
EDIT: Oh, and that's just for the shitty E10 stuff. If you want good ol' E5 petrol, add 10p/litre to the regular price (about $10.82/gallon)

I will drive in A-mode until someone tells me not to. :LOL:

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
578 Posts

One thing I learned from the DNA explorer menu about A mode is Alfa describes it as being identical to N mode except that in "A" mode, engine torque limiter is set to "ON", while in "N" mode, engine torque limiter is set to "OFF".

Settings for Steering (comfort), Shifting (comfort), AWD (normal), and Gas Pedal (normal) are all identical between N and A mode.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread on this, "A" mode having superior MPGs is more about it not letting you get into the power band. You could probably duplicate your mileage in "N" if you were careful with the throttle although it would require some restraint (that I definitely don't have).

·
Registered
20 Posts
With direct injection turbo engines, it is important for longevity reasons to ventilate the engine and crankcase. One of the largest issues with carbon build up, crankcase moisture, sludge, fuel dilution and misfires is engines that run low RPM most of the time and don’t see regular exercise. You may get the best MPG running 1,700 to 2,200 RPM but the engine can really suffer from a durability perspective and cost more service wise in the long run than you will save in MPG costs. Cruising with hardly any load at low RPM is certainly not what the 2.9 V6 was designed for but even econoboxes that are designed for MPG have these issues on DI turbos. We use our SQ mainly for cross country driving, I run in manual mode and try to keep 2,400 ish rpm as my low level, so we use 7th gear a lot. Above 80mph I will be in 8th gear unless accelerating.
The old Italian tune up is still a very good thing for our cars when safety allows and oil temp is up run through the gears to 6k a few times on each tank full. You and your car will enjoy. Many Alfa drivers do this because it is so much fun but there are good technical reasons to keep both 4 and 6cyl cars exercised and don’t sit on the highway at 2k RPM.
It is imperative for longevity to allow the engine to fully warm prior to heavy exercise. This typically can mean about 10 minutes after your water temp has reached normal.

·
Registered
283 Posts

I like driving in 'A'. Yes, the exhaust is amazing. But there are times when you just want to drive from A to B, have the radio on, and aren't interested in doing 0-62mph in 3.8s or listening to that tubular orchestra it calls an exhaust.

It's quiet, it's comfortable, and gets reasonable fuel economy for a car with 500hp+. I'm a fan.
With direct injection turbo engines, it is important for longevity reasons to ventilate the engine and crankcase. One of the largest issues with carbon build up, crankcase moisture, sludge, fuel dilution and misfires is engines that run low RPM most of the time and don’t see regular exercise. You may get the best MPG running 1,700 to 2,200 RPM but the engine can really suffer from a durability perspective and cost more service wise in the long run than you will save in MPG costs. Cruising with hardly any load at low RPM is certainly not what the 2.9 V6 was designed for but even econoboxes that are designed for MPG have these issues on DI turbos. We use our SQ mainly for cross country driving, I run in manual mode and try to keep 2,400 ish rpm as my low level, so we use 7th gear a lot. Above 80mph I will be in 8th gear unless accelerating.
The old Italian tune up is still a very good thing for our cars when safety allows and oil temp is up run through the gears to 6k a few times on each tank full. You and your car will enjoy. Many Alfa drivers do this because it is so much fun but there are good technical reasons to keep both 4 and 6cyl cars exercised and don’t sit on the highway at 2k RPM.
It is imperative for longevity to allow the engine to fully warm prior to heavy exercise. This typically can mean about 10 minutes after your water temp has reached normal.
So true

If your Quad is 2020 or later maybe thats ok but….

I tried doing that for a while driving in A mod and accelerating slowly and it was not good.

At the end this is a Ferrari engine. Mine is a 2018 and as soon as I drove like that for a couple of days the cold starts got really rough and then I got the CEL light with the misfire thing. It was not worth it.

The best thing for my car to start smoothly is to once in a while rev the engine to 5000-6000…..and I mean, not even pushing it hard, just changing the gears manually but letting the engine to rev at those RPM.

When you start the car the next day the cold start would not be rough at all. Super smooth.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Totally agree. My wife uses her Stelvio for a lot of short trips and she drives, shall we say, casually. Because of that, when I get to drive it, I give it an Italian tune-up. It also gets oil changes every 6 months (between 3500 and 4000 miles), Top Tier gas, and it goes on a battery tender whenever it sits for more than a couple days. Pampered Stelvio.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

because of what @Autobob explained. I’ve read that some folks run into the dreaded cold start misfire issues, where some attribute it to driving too much in A mode. I personally haven’t seen an issue… but I also regularly hit redline and full boost at least once a tank (but usually a lot more lol). I think I’ve mastered forcing my QV to crack/pop shifting up or down in any gear 1-4 😬

i Believe the biggest trick to getting great MPG in A is the TC disconnecting when you coast. Otherwise, I think it’s easy enough tolimit power in N mode as well.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Also: Not to be that guy, but I always find it amusing when Americans complain about gas prices.

Petrol here is £1.87/litre. That's $2.26 in your money. And if you want the gallon rate, that's £8.50/gallon ($10.27/gallon in Freedom Bucks).
EDIT: Oh, and that's just for the shitty E10 stuff. If you want good ol' E5 petrol, add 10p/litre to the regular price (about $10.82/gallon)

I will drive in A-mode until someone tells me not to. :LOL:
I'm one of the smart ones that knows even this summer GAS IS [email protected]!!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
We have a lot of penny wise pound foolish owners out there. They buy the sportiest SUV built and drive it like nancy. So they save 500-1000/yr in gas if they are high milers...then the engine carbon ups and these are the same people that whine that the major 10K + repair isn't covered cuz its out of warranty blablabla.
A mode is great for lousy driving conditions. If you are smooth you can easily achieve A mode numbers... BTW these same folks probably live with adaptive dumb ass cruise on all the time and whine that their rear brake pads are shot in 10k miles...... I litterally find the car brakes 50-75% more in my RR when I leave adaptive on than when I drive the car......

·
Registered
538 Posts
BTW these same folks probably live with adaptive dumb ass cruise on all the time and whine that their rear brake pads are shot in 10k miles...... I litterally find the car brakes 50-75% more in my RR when I leave adaptive on than when I drive the car......
Girl, you need to chill about adaptive cruise - this thread isn't even about it. I use mine whenever I'm on the highway for a long trip, and guess what: my front brakes are wearing faster than the rear ones! GAG!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts