Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they have announced a rear while drive only stelvio, a good thing for people with no need or want for AWD.
and they only make it available in the base model, not on TI (or quad), which is the version that people who want rwd probably prefer.
makes about as much sense as dropping the 4c coupe but keeping the spider - on a limited production car like that, what's the point of dropping a version?
makes me wonder

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1117464_alfa-romeo-announces-2019-plans-4c-coupe-gone-hello-rear-wheel-drive-stelvio

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ugh. Just cheapens the brand. I see Alfa's motive for rear-wheel drive. In Texas and Florida lots of Jeep Grand Cherokees and pickup trucks are sold in rear-wheel drive.

I hear the spinning wheels every time it rains. You want to make money? Raise the price and make Alfa a desired brand. Like perfume. Idiot Chrysler marketing guys must have suggested RWD. Chrysler makes junk and discounts it, perpetuating a non-virtuous cycle down the drain. Idiots

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Being able to pivot and react to the market is smart business as long as it doesn't erode the brand identity. Quadrifoglios coming on line provide the halo effect for the more pedestrian models as the line fills in makes perfect sense. It's an inexact science but feeding the production line is necessary for max efficiency and pure economics tells us that price/demand can be relational (not always in the pure sense). Dealers have been moving current inventory at deep discounts so why not reach the lower price point (where the action seems to be at the moment) without giving away more well-equipped models?

We also know that rear wheel drive vehicles are always the preferred design for handling except in snowy climates - and 2X4 Jeeps numbers prove there is a market for CUV/SUV's with 2 wheel drive-- less hardware, better mileage, lower price point where it's not needed.

There is precedent for this: Pacificas were slow to take on because all of the initial planning was for well-optioned versions that were priced above the consumer's marginal propensity to bite. Tesla Model 3 is choking for the same reason.

The other thing is that initial demand is slow to build for Stelvio (evidenced by the inventory sitting unsold) so it is a logical thing to do if it doesn't erode the brand image. Projected sales numbers for the industry predict some slowing of demand so exposing a wider market makes sense. Remember the investment in tooling and production today has a shorter life cycle so you have to make hay while the sun shines so to speak. A lot of factors are at play in this situation. Maybe the product line is too narrow at the moment.

I think these are smart people who know exactly what they are doing and responding to consumer trends and being fast to pivot is good business.

Reactions: Flunx and integrale

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had a 4c coupe, I would much rather have had the spider, you can always fit a hardtop but top off like my elises is more fun. The 4c is built at the maserati factory. The sales volume of the 4c is miniscule so absolutely cant fault them doing this to simplify the line and give them room for the new models that will be coming out. AWD and2WD for me no big deal.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if your black coupe had a red interior .... Ok and akrapovic center exhaust ....
easy to be picky on a car i don't have, but I understand why you let it go, just grocery shopping or a weekend for two is a bit of an issue with that single tiny trunk.

·
Registered
536 Posts
lol! but it was gloriously fun while I had it!! :)

if your black coupe had a red interior .... Ok and akrapovic center exhaust ....
easy to be picky on a car i don't have, but I understand why you let it go, just grocery shopping or a weekend for two is a bit of an issue with that single tiny trunk.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
today's reports are that the 4C coupe isn't discontinued, it just isn't being imported into the US.
Ok, maybe not a big seller, maybe they have inventory, but geesus if someone wanted to order one why not let them?
it's not like you have to stock any extra parts ....

·
Registered
330 Posts
I guarantee you could find a 4 C Coupe to your liking by scanning "Autotrader" based on current US dealer inventory....if a car is not selling...time to cut your losses....especially for a car that is so expensive to produce....the 4 C has got to be a losing proposion for Alfa based on how it's made....I believe it was produced to be an image creator for the US relaunch...it is true to Alfa's roots...small, lightweight, tossable, raw, visceral......everything older Alfas were...So, once the point has been made, time to move on...the market has spoken....the manufacturer has to listen....

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
certainly there's no reason to push dealers to order more if there is unsold inventory - but if someone wants to order one that isn't in inventory, sorry, it makes no sense.
there is no "cut your losses" when the vehicle is still in production for every other market, and does not have any (significant) parts to stock compared to the "available" spider.
it was low production by design and intent, not much has changed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
they have announced a rear while drive only stelvio, a good thing for people with no need or want for AWD.
and they only make it available in the base model, not on TI (or quad), which is the version that people who want rwd probably prefer.
makes about as much sense as dropping the 4c coupe but keeping the spider - on a limited production car like that, what's the point of dropping a version?
makes me wonder

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1117464_alfa-romeo-announces-2019-plans-4c-coupe-gone-hello-rear-wheel-drive-stelvio
4C coupe was dropped because it would need side curtain airbags to meet stricter crash standards, same as the Viper.....roadster/convertible versions are exempted for obvious reasons. We sold our last new 4C coupe last month.

I agree the Stelvio should be offered in RWD for all versions, including Quad, but I think they’re only doing the stripper model to get the price lower and attract more new buyers.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
p 15, in the doors, which is different from the roof - especially if you don't have one
does the government confuse me?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, those are simply side airbags, apparently anything built after 2017 with a roof needs to have side curtain airbags, no roof=no care.

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in the hunt for a '19 and trying to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of RWD and AWD. It rarely snows here in coastal NorCal, and I do not head to the Sierras in the winter. As I see it, the advantages of RWD are it's lighter weight (mileage) and simplicity. The advantage of AWD is foul weather traction. I am wary of tales of tire size woes if a tire has to be replaced with AWD. What are other pros and cons?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The biggest con to me is lack of options on rwd - they decided to market it as bare bones.
The big advantage of awd is, regardless of level of traction it delays I intervention of power cut or braking nannies by first transferring the necessary power to the front to regain rear traction.
Quattroroute magazine Dry Track testing on giulia and stelvio shows q4 to be superior in lap times than q2 (limited slip) or standard rwd.
As in a q4 stelvio runs quicker times than a rear only giulia.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts