Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else wish the ‘Dynamic’ mode was a little more dynamic? Given that there are three shift programs... you would think dynamic could be pretty aggressive. Both normal and eco decease the throttle response and shift even more conservatively. But when I ride in dynamic, it still shifts below 2k and never downshifts on braking. If you push it, it will certainly hold longer, rev higher and be super engaging but I don’t want to get a speeding ticket ten times a day. I just want a little more spirited feel when driving My MDX ‘sport’ mode is pretty aggressive by comparison. And my wife drove a manual 335 before getting the Stelvio Sport so maybe it is just an adjustment. Butt I think it would be even more fun to drive with a little more sport in the dynamic mode. And yes, the paddle shifters are fun. Thoughts? Could there be an after market adjustment to change the shift patterns? Not necessarily chipping, as I would not want to boost it.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
it adjusts to your driving style, and current conditions (including engine & fluid temp). so if you drive around in Dynamic all the time it will tone down the aggressiveness if you are not always driving aggressive..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, most modern transmissions adjust to driving habits but given that this is a more sports oriented vehicle and that it has three different modes, I just thought it could be sportier in the dynamic mode. Going back to my MDX, in sport, it simply holds the gears longer which creates a more spirited driving experience even when I’m not flooring the pedal. I guess I’ll just try to use the paddle shifters more often... if my wife ever lets me behind the wheel. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have found my favorite mode is Dynamic using paddles. Freeway driving.... drop two down to 6th gear and your by others in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Yes, most modern transmissions adjust to driving habits but given that this is a more sports oriented vehicle and that it has three different modes, I just thought it could be sportier in the dynamic mode. Going back to my MDX, in sport, it simply holds the gears longer which creates a more spirited driving experience even when I’m not flooring the pedal. I guess I’ll just try to use the paddle shifters more often... if my wife ever lets me behind the wheel. :)
This is a result of it adjusting to your driving style. This is not the default, when you first start driving it in D it holds gears a long time and to high RPM, over time as you fail to use that it will drive more conservatively. Try driving in N for a bit then switching back to D, and be more aggressive with the pedal, it might reset back closer to the default / non driver compensated program it has learned for you.

Also worth mentioning that Dynamic seems to contain more than one drive mode. Strong quick steering inputs and powering through curves will trigger it to go into the highest performance mode. Immediately after turning 90 deg to the left from my office parking lot the road starts a tight sweeping turn to the right, this quick left / right steering input plus accelerating results in the car wanting to hold gears almost to redline every time I leave the office. I've seen the same steering related dynamic adjustment of the driving characteristics many other times before as well.

in a nutshell, dynamic mode is truly dynamically adjusting all the time. Push the car hard and it'll respond with aggressiveness, treat it gently and it'll respond with a gentle response. However just don't expect it to always jump from gentle mode to aggressive mode or back instantly, it sometimes needs time to figure out that you're asking from it something different than you've recently been asking.

Side note, I've noticed that if you switch the shifter to M and exclusively use the paddles for a while, the car seems to listen and learn how you want to the car to drive, and it will continue to mimic that driving style for a while once you are back in auto on the shifter. The effect seems similar but muted when using the paddles to temporarily command the shifting while in auto. Full manual appears to have a greater effect on the car's "current attitude" setting.

Reactions: LeonY

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SailDrive,are you saying your stelvio holds gears to almost the redline without you flooring the pedal? Do others experience this as well? We have a loaner until our replacement is delivered and it has miles on it from other drivers but it literally shifts below 2k rpm unless you are flooring it. In which case it goes like a bat out of helll.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
SailDrive,are you saying your stelvio holds gears to almost the redline without you flooring the pedal? Do others experience this as well? We have a loaner until our replacement is delivered and it has miles on it from other drivers but it literally shifts below 2k rpm unless you are flooring it. In which case it goes like a bat out of helll.
if I'm cornering a lot / pushing the G meter, absolutely. In fully automatic / Dynamic mode it will hold the gear throughout the duration of a corner all the way to redline as to not upset the car shifting mid-curve. As mentioned there's a particular stretch of road near my office that triggers this nearly every time. It's definitely repeatable elsewhere too.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
I think is better that asap I'll provide you a short video with the "A-Fast" launch test of Stelvio 280HP

one of the strange problem with stelvio is the delay in down shift of zf8hp AT but in D mode the AT 8 gear is like a gun, bang bang bang

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey people,

Prolog: I'm still running my Stelvio in. I know, officially I don't have to, still I thought it would be the best on the long run, so at the moment I don't floor it - yet!! :)

At first, I was going to ask your feelings about how you guys are delighted with the performance between 3500-5500 RPM. Having read the discussion a few more things came in mind: how long do you think it takes to adapt to a different driving style (from a "running in-stlye" to push the maximum), and how big the difference can be? Any feelings, impressions?

And another short question: only in "A" mode, and only at low speed and RPM there's a somewhat harder sound. I think it's the gearbox tring to find the best gear - am I right?

Thanks!

Dave

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Dave- I have the standard North America drivetrain. My thinking is that the noise you hear is some engine lugging at low RPM as the unit holds the higher gearing. Hope this helps. No worries and no info on the diesel engine option. Ciao!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
don't use A mode!
it's hard work for an engine to be lugged around at too low rpm, creates heat, not a good break in practice.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
A mode could be useful in a long and relaxed travel, if you want the rocket feeling use N or, best D it’s really a bullet

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks! Indeed, I have a 2.0 petrol Stelvio.

Neither I wouldn't think it's something problematic, I just thought I'd make it sure by asking. Anyway, one can hear it also when slowing down, without any lugging. When I start off, it's in N or D.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Alfa did a superb job here. Most of these sport modes etc are just lousy hyperreactive throttle recalibrations that make you think they are fast because throttle is 95% open at 50% pedal. You can actually drive this car quick and smooth at the same time in dynamic. Crisp tranny shifts are key. I have already learned that this SUV is far quicker than it feels . Smooth has a way of doing that v some 20yr old slushbox /big motor that feels fast because it thrashes thru the gears and makes a lot of noise.
This is one of the few sport (dynamic) modes I'd ever really use. Most are just bad, non linear and not even good on a track.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Alfa did a superb job here. Most of these sport modes etc are just lousy hyperreactive throttle recalibrations that make you think they are fast because throttle is 95% open at 50% pedal. You can actually drive this car quick and smooth at the same time in dynamic. Crisp tranny shifts are key. I have already learned that this SUV is far quicker than it feels . Smooth has a way of doing that v some 20yr old slushbox /big motor that feels fast because it thrashes thru the gears and makes a lot of noise.
This is one of the few sport (dynamic) modes I'd ever really use. Most are just bad, non linear and not even good on a track.
I haven't had a chance to try out Dynamic yet in the Stelvio as I haven't had it long enough. However, my Lexus IS350 F Sport had a Sport+ mode that I would use all the time during my monthly trips through the mountains north of Los Angeles when I was driving up to visit some friends in the central part of California. The Sport+ mode was pretty impressive in that vehicle as not only did it alter the transmission's shift speed and shifting points (held gears much longer), it also increased the firmness of the suspension (it had a electronically controlled variable suspension). It was very fun to drive through the curving roads so I'm really curios to see how the Stelvio does in comparison when I get a chance in a few weeks to drive up there again.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think you are going to be surprised with the connected feel of the Stelvio v artificial stiffness of electronically altered shocks. Get the spring rates right and the shocks just control things. That has been a complaint of F cars from day 1. Effective but artificial at the same time. Stelvio just feels right!! Like a proper sport sedan. Even the wife says it does not feel like an SUV and I've had a dozen of them over the years as I climbed the ladder of life.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts