Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what this mode is for? The manual only says pull the EPB switch a couple of times during driving to activate it. :confused:

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
automatically sets the brake when you put the car in park, and releases it as soon as you put it in D or R and touch the gas pedal (but only if you have your seat belt fastened, if not the brake stays set)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
automatically sets the brake when you put the car in park, and releases it as soon as you put it in D or R and touch the gas pedal (but only if you have your seat belt fastened, if not the brake stays set)
Does the Stelvio have anything similar to BMW's "auto hold" so the car will apply the EPB for you and let you take the foot off the brake pedal at a long red light? If not, is it OK to use the EPB while the gear is in D?

·
Registered
139 Posts

Interesting; on my Stelvio there is no auto release, I have to do it manually.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Does the Stelvio have anything similar to BMW's "auto hold" so the car will apply the EPB for you and let you take the foot off the brake pedal at a long red light? If not, is it OK to use the EPB while the gear is in D?
I would hesitate to do that simply because the transmission actually disengages whenever you stop under normal driving. When you release the brake if you pay close attention you'll notice a gentle engagement a little bit like someone letting their foot off the clutch in a manual transmission. This is to prevent transmission wear and reduce engine load & economy. I'm not sure what happens if you stop at a light, set the ebrake, and release the brake pedal. Either way why not just go into park if you are actually parked? Seems like a poor solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Interesting; on my Stelvio there is no auto release, I have to do it manually.
The ebrake setting is in the infotainment system, it may be disabled on yours, also it does not turn off the ebrake if you are not buckled into the seat belt at the time you take it out of park. Something I have to point out anytime my car gets valet parked anywhere.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Does anyone know what this mode is for? The manual only says pull the EPB switch a couple of times during driving to activate it. :confused:
The electronic parking brakes in new vehicle also serve as an emergency back-up to the main brakes. In the unlikely event of a complete brake failure pulling the EPB multiple times slowly engages the parking brake to bring the vehicle to a stop rather than it engaging in one shot and locking the vehicle up. The vehicle has "static mode" when stationary and in Park where the EPB full engages immediately and "dynamic mode" where the vehicle is in drive and in motion. Good chance of damage to the EPB system so I wouldn't unless you have no other option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts