Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Has the check engine light come on at all? There should be a history they can check on the car if so. I had this problem (very random), and it turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. Also, having drained my battery once, GOOFY STUFF happens if your battery is even slightly undercharged. Put it on a trickle charger (battery tender) for 24 hours and see if anything changes. I actually had a passenger blinker and brake light stop working, cruise stop working, auto start/stop, DNA selector, and electronic throttle control stop working because of the battery not being charged sufficiently. Frickin’ Varta batteries. Once I trickle charged everything was back to normal (even the brake/signal lights). Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay. Update for the Stevlio: Took it in for Throttle issue/check engine light. Got a call a day later that Stelvio was ready to pick up. After $70 worth of Lyfts to get home and back, my service adviser handed me the keys to my Stelvio. When I asked what caused the problems, I was bluntly told the following: "you have to understand there are many electronic computer systems that all have to work in sync on your Alfa. When one of those systems has a hiccup, it affects all the systems. We rebooted your ECM and updated the software. All is well now."

While this was good to hear, I then followed up with the following question: "I assume this may happen once my Stelvio is past warranty. If I had to bring it in for the same fault without the warranty, what will it cost me to get it back?"

His reply: "It would only be a couple hundred dollars to have your software updated if nothing else is wrong."

Only.

I'll update if any recurrence happens. Thanks for all those who post with challenges and help the community grow smarter.
-TooSlowMonroe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad I found this thread, got a new Stelvio on 01/11. On 01/29, service Electronic Throttle Control and Auto On/Off unavailable telltales showed up after 650 miles. Towed the car to the nearest dealership. After 4 days at the dealership, I was told to drive it every day for at least 30 minutes and battery should charge itself. On the same day, after driving for 2 hours, the telltales are back with loss of power on a freeway. Since it was very unsafe to drive, I dropped the limping car at the nearest dealership.

I talked to Alfa Customer Care and they created an escalated case for which I haven't heard back. I talked to my seller dealership for a loaner or rental and haven't heard back from them. I called the servicing dealership where I dropped the car and waiting for an update since 3 days.

With only 700 miles and the car limping at 45 mph on a 65 mph freeway with my wife on a valentine's day night was very unsafe. I will try my luck this time and push for lemon law if it fails on me again.

The frustration has grown into fear with my family in the car and others tailgating and honking at us! Very unfortunate situation.

Time line of events
01/11 - Got the new car filled with joy and excitement
01/23 - Convinced my friend to sell his old car and get him a new Stelvio
01/29 - Limping car with telltale signs
02/10 - Towed to dealership
Lost all the excitement and joy/filled with regret
02/14 - Picked up the car with same issue after driving for 2 hrs on a freeway. Frustration turned into fear for my family's safety.
Pulled into the nearest dealership and ubered back home. Waited for 3 days without any update.
02/17 - Called the dealership to hear that they ordered a new part(no specifics) and waiting for it.

Link to my initial post:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this has been discussed here, did a search, but did not find it. This happened when giving throttle to merge with interstate traffic. Also, the auto start/stop not available warning came on as well, I think they go hand in hand. Hardly any power, but could reach traffic speed, it just takes a few. The warning was not flashing, on solid, per owners manual when solid the vehicle can still be driven to a dealer. I was not giving throttle and brake at the same time.

After getting home, I let it sit for about 30 minutes and started it up, no warnings shown. My question, for those that have this happen and it cleared after sitting for a few, is there anything I should be watching for on the next drive or two?
I've had the same issues since the beginning of owning my 2018 Stelvio. The problems won't go away and every industry expert I've spoken to says they are lemons for vehicles. Eventually the dealership will tell you the same thing they told me: you need a new oil pump and they will try to say it's not covered under warranty. Meaning roughly $4000 for the fix. Get rid of your Stelvio now if you can before the issues become catastrophic. I've attached photos of my issue and other posts regarding the same problems.

Haven't had my vehicle for 2.5 weeks now and they aren't even providing an update.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you resolve the issue with your car? I had the exact same problem with my Giulia Quadrifoglio, ultimately forcing Alfa to buy the car back from me. Loved the car and was thinking about getting another one. Didn’t b/c I know Alfa has no idea what’s wrong. FCA even sent their own engineers to the dealership to trouble-shoot it. Problem is the system is flashed anytime the car is brought in for service, so it looks like they fixed it each time until it reoccurs. I’m happy to share the info on how I got them to buy the car back if you like. Just let me know.
I know this has been discussed here, did a search, but did not find it. This happened when giving throttle to merge with interstate traffic. Also, the auto start/stop not available warning came on as well, I think they go hand in hand. Hardly any power, but could reach traffic speed, it just takes a few. The warning was not flashing, on solid, per owners manual when solid the vehicle can still be driven to a dealer. I was not giving throttle and brake at the same time.

After getting home, I let it sit for about 30 minutes and started it up, no warnings shown. My question, for those that have this happen and it cleared after sitting for a few, is there anything I should be watching for on the next drive or two?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you resolve the issue with your car? I had the exact same problem with my Giulia Quadrifoglio, ultimately forcing Alfa to buy the car back from me. Loved the car and was thinking about getting another one. Didn’t b/c I know Alfa has no idea what’s wrong. FCA even sent their own engineers to the dealership to trouble-shoot it. Problem is the system is flashed anytime the car is brought in for service, so it looks like they fixed it each time until it reoccurs. I’m happy to share the info on how I got them to buy the car back if you like. Just let me know.
Hi DrJPDC,
If you wouldn't mind, I'm interested in how you were able to make them take the car back. I just had my first issue with this problem on my 2019 Stelvio QV that only has 2200 miles. Any info would be very helpful. Timing couldn't be worse given this situation. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
MY EMAIL IF ANYONE WANTS INFO RE:Calif Lemon Law claim (for my electronic throttle control) is as follows:

[email protected]

·
Registered
243 Posts
I believe that so many of these issues are battery and battery management software. This will be a business school case study someday. A multi-billion dollar investment screwed by batteries they did not make and too rapid development of software. I have had no problems on a early ‘18 Stelvio manufactured early ‘17. Nevertheless at the first hint of trouble will change battery.

FAIW I had battery issues and multiple software issues on a 2011 Jagual XJL, and other manufacturers have extensive battery and software challenges. My most bulletproof cars? 1986 Alfa gtv6 followed by 2010 Mazdaspeed3.

·
Registered
1 Posts

i have a 2018 stelvio qv - driving on the highway yesterday - driving hard - this alarm came on - went on limp mode and drove home....sat for 30 minutes - reset itself - so far so good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This has been happening to my Alfa since October of 2017. Love my Alfa but this is going on 3 years and no resolution. Take it to the dealer they say they did an update or whatever then nothing for 3-4 months then it happens again. When I start my car I can tell when it is going to happen by the idle RPM's now. Thinking about getting rid of the car because of this issue. It is DANGEROUS on the roads when this happens.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Apparently this is a pretty wide spread problem and i will be getting my stelvio quad in a few months.
Anyone with new batteries, not the oem varta battery but a new and different battery that was put in the car. Did you ever experience the service electronic throttle warning light or limp mode or any of the above combination? Also did the problem stop after switching batteries?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well my 2018 Stelvio is going on two weeks at the dealership for this same issue! Purchased used from dealership where service is being done. After sitting for 3 1/2 days without diagnosis performed, I’m told the temperature sensor(s) went off and I need a new radiator. Also said update hasn’t been done to computer. Took four days for part to arrive. Talked to dealership today and the vehicle is supposedly ready. I also mentioned to them that the battery light had come on. Hopefully that was checked also.

Will update when I get vehicle back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This happened to me this morning in Korea. Started the car and the electronic throttle control warning and check engine light on my 2018 Stelvio came on. I am a government employee and I'm the only person on Camp Humphreys Korea with an Alfa Romeo. Since there are no Alfa dealers in Korea, I was thinking of trying a Fiat dealer. This car his 17 months old and has 15,000 miles on it. This is pathetic!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts