Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
That video is some solid advice. Great stuff.

If you think about it, the ship ride over is a long way. That is alot of salt air. Even a small amount of terminal corrosion could cause phantom electrical issues, that could be the difference between a problem-free or problem-filled ownership experience. Not just Alfa, alot of Euro vehicles that have random battery problems. I feel dumb now for not thinking of this myself when called to look at BMWs and other cars, even a couple Lex-i (plural of a Lexus).

This was mentioned by another member awhile ago who saw some corrosion and cleaned it off, but I never really thought about it much before since I haven't had issues. Thanks for sharing that. Easy to get caught up in junk like smart charging and forget the basics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish I found this forum two months ago. I purchased a pre-owned 2018 Stelvio and the trio of warning lights (check engine, electric throttle, start/stop) came on for the first time three weeks ago. I brought it to the dealer and they mentioned it was a sensor error triggered by the change in weather. The sensor was reset on December 17th and was fine....until yesterday, December 27th. I bring my car back to the dealer (70 miles, round trip) to start from square one. I am HOPING that this is not the beginning of a long, frustrating road!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife was driving home in our 2018 Ti Sport yesterday, which has about 35,000 miles on it. She had just exited a highway and was turning left onto a busy 3-lane road when the dreaded ETC and Stop/Start Unavailable warnings came on and the car died - literally in the middle of her turn. She frantically shut it off and tried restarting it, and it turned over the second time. In limp mode she pulled over to the side of the road and called me. Fortunately she was able to limp home from there.

She spoke to the dealership this morning who advised her (as I've seen on other threads here) to warm up the car and turn it off and on 10 times to "reset" the software. The reset seems to have worked for now. We still have the original battery but the dealer is going to check it next week. I had her leave the car running for 45 minutes afterward to make sure the battery is fully charged, and am going to push the dealership hard to replace the battery with a Mopar when it goes in next week.

Of course this occurred when we are on the verge of purchasing the car off lease since we have not had any issues for quite a while. I cannot believe that - between the known battery and software issues - this is not the subject of a recall! I hate to think what could have happened if this occurred just a few minutes earlier when she was driving on an Interstate. The experience leaves me uncertain about going forward with the purchase.
I brought a 2018 Alfa stelvio back in may 0f 21. You mention off lease which that’s where I got mine.. so this morning around 3am i usually start my car from inside the house so I can warm up before driving off.. when I get outside I notice the car was off.. this usually happens when you gas is low but this time it wasn’t.. I turn the car on a warning sign came on (electronic throttle control) plus (stop and go). A few month ago the stop and go sign came on and I Google it and it say to turn and shut it off it work. But this time my car was shaking and difficult to move. The beauty on the outside of this car is amazing. But I had so Many scares with this vehicle. Now I have to call the dealer which I’ve had so many times. I live in Orlando and there’s only 2 dealers that deal with Alfa. Now I have to call to see what’s going to happen but for now what can I do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
earlier I today post about Electronic throttle control warning sign coming on and 2018 Alf stelvio losing power and not able to move.. that was around 3am.. I get home and I did what ppl mention check the battery lol I open the hood and couldn’t find the battery that was crazy. Didn’t know that the battery was underneath the spare tire.. so I didn’t touch anything. I jump back in the front sit and I told myself I bet when I start this vehicle it will start with no problem.. and guess what it started with NP. Horrible. The only warning sign that was on was the stop and go. Shut on shut off 3x and that was gone.. this is fair how sensitive these vehicles are with activating any possible warning indicated. What if I didn’t have another vehicle to get to work. I feel these cars aren’t liable. It hasn’t been a yr and my Alfa has send me through a couple of scares.
Well this Saturday I made a service appt to still check it out. I will leave my car park until.

·
Registered
7 Posts
earlier I today post about Electronic throttle control warning sign coming on and 2018 Alf stelvio losing power and not able to move.. that was around 3am.. I get home and I did what ppl mention check the battery lol I open the hood and couldn’t find the battery that was crazy. Didn’t know that the battery was underneath the spare tire.. so I didn’t touch anything. I jump back in the front sit and I told myself I bet when I start this vehicle it will start with no problem.. and guess what it started with NP. Horrible. The only warning sign that was on was the stop and go. Shut on shut off 3x and that was gone.. this is fair how sensitive these vehicles are with activating any possible warning indicated. What if I didn’t have another vehicle to get to work. I feel these cars aren’t liable. It hasn’t been a yr and my Alfa has send me through a couple of scares.
Well this Saturday I made a service appt to still check it out. I will leave my car park until.
I have the same issue now for more than six months with the same car, mine is parked,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Add me to the club with the unholy trinity of CEL/Auto Start Stop inop/ELC. Was driving for a bit and in traffic on the way to pick up meat for my dogs. Light comes on and I head to the dealership (was just there an hour earlier). Got there just before 5 and they were closing up. My SA was gone, but the other one called my SA. I left the car and they said they would do the paperwork in the morning. When I got the car ('18 Ti Sport w/ 18k) 5 weeks ago, I tested the battery and it was at 100%. Just waiting overnight to hear from the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Add me to the club with the unholy trinity of CEL/Auto Start Stop inop/ELC.
Its been unpleasant to say the least. Ive actually purchased another car and am disputing the "ownership" of the Stelvio with Stellantis by way of an attorney. I hope to have this resolved in the next week or two but that hope and a nickel .... you get the idea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fortunately, I have extra cars. However, it is rather irritating that this came out of the blue. I spoke to my SA today and he said it threw a whole lot of codes, and they are trying to isolate the problem. In the past, when my BMWs and Porsches threw a whole bunch of codes out of the blue, it was usually the battery. I swapped it out for a new AGM and all was good. Spoke to the SA about it and they were still trying to isolate the problem. The tech told him I need a new fuel pump. So we shall see if they have one in stock.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
No one like to hear it, regardless it the way it's is ..

Alfa dealers are mostly inexperienced with these issues (unlike BMW, Et all). Most Alfa's don't have these problems despite them being the most common problem among those who do have them.

Some will just replace the battery...others are still chasing thier own tail figuring out the problem.

We're I, you, I would tell them to stop working on the car and replace the battery myself. If that doesn't fix it give it back, but we all know the chances are good that will fix it.

Otherwise....when BMW had only been in the auto market for 5 years they were not as well polished an operation as they are now. Growing pains suck, and let's all realize Alfa is basically a 5 year old company in terms of sales. Yes, the brand has existed for 100 years, but the car designs, factory, dealer network.....all are less then a decade old. The leadership of the company is newer then that. Not making excuses....just how things are. Patience is required.

(In north America at least, in Europe I'de guess the dealer network is established)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Patience is required.
Not to take the opposite side - but when one pays nearly $100,000.00 2021 US Dollars for a vehicle - patience is no longer required. For Stellantis, this is now a COGS, and they get to take the hit not the consumer. Its clear they Fiat is dead in the US (again) and Alfa is less than supported by Stellantis - in favor for Jeep and Ram which is where their profits come from.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm nearly 1 year into this issue

I paid my money yet Im unable to drive, I paid for.

That's not my fault.... I lnot egally or morally obligated to be patient any longer. In point of fact Stellantis Is legally obligated to make me whole again.

This is simply business. When a company sells a defective item, it's legally obligated to "make it right"

I love this car..... Its just not drivable. Again not my failure

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
If you have been dealing with the issue for a year, you have been patient.

Patience is not eternal, there are limits. You did your part it sounds like. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it and that statement doesn't apply to you.

I doubt the issue you are experiencing is the same as what most are even if the basic symptom is the same. More than one way to have any given problem in a car very often.

I hope very much Alfa takes care of you, they should. You are 100% correct about legality. My experiance (with other manufactuers) is very often if you want them to follow the law...it's takes a court of law. Fingers crossed your resolution comes faster and more amicably.

For quite awhile the way VW dealt with my lemon made me sorta hate VWs..which sucks cause they are great cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My SA told me the tech narrowed the problem down to a fuel pump. Just waiting for it to arrive from Detroit. Also waiting for another Telematics unit. My phone book will sync with the car once. Whenever you turn the car off, you need to turn off the phone's bluetooth, and re-sync with the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My SA told me the tech narrowed the problem down to a fuel pump. Just waiting for it to arrive from Detroit. Also waiting for another Telematics unit. My phone book will sync with the car once. Whenever you turn the car off, you need to turn off the phone's bluetooth, and re-sync with the car.
I am suspended to your update.
I have changed , Actuator, engine elctric cabling systems, ECU, Sparking Plug, still not resolved

121 - 140 of 144 Posts