Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
It’s actually a defective part in this case, as confirmed by my dealer. Issue went away after replacement.
Interesting because they did an update to many of our cars that allowed for additional cooling time after shut off. Very well noted issue. Glad your problem is resolved though......Did they tell you what the defective part was?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Interesting because they did an update to many of our cars that allowed for additional cooling time after shut off. Very well noted issue. Glad your problem is resolved though......Did they tell you what the defective part was?
Yes, it’s called a three way valve. It is involved in cooling things off, but basically it kept trying to move in a direction that it wasn’t supposed to.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, it’s called a three way valve. It is involved in cooling things off, but basically it kept trying to move in a direction that it wasn’t supposed to.
I have to get this checked then because my car makes that high pitched noise after I turn it off. I thought it was supposed to do that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have to get this checked then because my car makes that high pitched noise after I turn it off. I thought it was supposed to do that.
So the super high pitched noise is normal.

The one I’m talking about almost sounds like when you try to start a car when it is already running (which could happen back when people used physical keys to engage the starter motor)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
If that high pitched noise stays on for an extended period of time get it looked at. It is normal to come on for a minute or so..talking about ten minutes later or something it's still on.

At least one person had that be the reason thier battery keep going low.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio
4 Posts
It is trying to cool the car down that is what you hear. I have noted this, before reading further, that this car runs really hot. It bothered me because I have owned many cars with my previous car being a turbo 4 and never felt this kind of heat from the car. That is one issue but it is also related to the noises you hear because there is software installed that is trying to cool the turbo, most likely. That is why you should let it idle for a few seconds to help in this process or as said before chill and drive slow the last few miles home. This is not needed with most modern turbo cars but I can attest you should do it with this one.
Thanks—your response is exactly what the tech at the dealership said. He said especially after aggressive driving let the car idle for a few minutes. And a follow up to my visit: dealer replaced turbo o-rings upon a review of them. The tech did not confirm the source of the intermittent noise/buzz every 13-15 seconds but said not to worry about such noises due to the cool down protocols.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts