Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
stelvio QV
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i have stelvio QV before one week i bring back my car feom dealership regarding engine noise on cold start , they did a full check and test drive and then they told me all the records fine and thats normal for cold start, today i started the car after 3 days the car stay in garage not using it , i noticed that car start with vibration and the check engine light flashing for 1 min then i stoped the engine and start it again ,then everything back to normal no vibration and no engine light , i made a test drive for 40 minutes nothing happened every thing was fine ,so im thinking should a bring it back to dealership for another test? or things like that may happen because the car stayed 3 days without start it ? thank you .

·
262 Posts
That isn't normal. The check engine warning on start shouldn't happen no matter how long it has been since the last time you started it. With some luck the reason for the check engine light will be available for the service people to scan.

·
Registered
stelvio QV
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That isn't normal. The check engine warning on start shouldn't happen no matter how long it has been since the last time you started it. With some luck the reason for the check engine light will be available for the service people to scan.
so it will be recorded if i bring the car for dealership any time?. because as i said every thing is back to normal with car now

·
Registered
stelvio QV
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was told also this is calling misfire , and it could happend randomly

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check out the following link on the giulia forum Carbon cleaning QV at 6,000 miles?
A number of us, particularly those of us with MY 19 Giulia QVs, have experienced the same issue. What year is your QV? We’ve eliminated battery issues, carbon buildup issues, injector, spark plug and ignition coil issues. Some of us are leaning towards fuel delivery or ecu issues. Never happens except cold starts and none of us that I’m aware of have had it happen before about 4000 miles. How many miles on yours? Unfortunately it doesn’t appear Alfa’s engineers have an answer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lol, had a senior moment and breezed by your post.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
....Alfa's engineers have the answer. They added port injection in 2020. Short of that, or a completely redesigned variable valve system (cough...multiair..cough..), not much they can do.

If it is caused by carbon build-up that will probably solve the issue, as it has the effect of cleaning the valves.

Carbon build-up in an engine happens due to heat. Studies have shown a hot engine will actually build-up carbon faster, with build-up beginning about 370 and increasing till 550 degrees farenheit. Investigation of the Intake Valve Deposit Formation Tendency Affected by Engine Surrounding Conditions

With build-up stopping once the engine gets above 550, with a sweet spot at around 600, the carbon decarboxylates and breaks up instead of binding to the metal. Effect of Elevated Piston Temperature on Combustion Chamber Deposit Growth

I would guess that the Quad engine, being a twin turbo, small displacement engine runs in the bad temperature range for alot of it's rev band, an issue made worse by exhaust gasses being recirculated while driving with a "cold" engine. (If the sweet spot for the engine is around 500 degrees that means it will recirculate gases till that temp is achieved which means alot of carbon is being recirculated for possibly the first 10-15 minutes of driving..if yo rarely keep the engine running longer than that because you are making alot of stop and go trips...might be killing your engine.)

All this basically means, a pre-2020 Stevio QV is really not the best choice of vehicles for making multiple short trips..a problem probably made worse if you drive the car like it wants to be driven during those trips.

Knowing this..if you use your Quad as a grocery getter, drive easy till the engine reaches full operating temp to minimize gas recirculation, and make your stops as fast as possible so the engine doesnt cool off completely. ...and maybe take the long way everywhere..cause it's better for the car.....

My guess is the engineers didn't realize how many people would use the Quad as primary transportation, thought it would be more of a long drive/track queen.. Which is dumb...if I had a Quad I would want to drive it everywhere, all the time...leave it idling when parked at home, just to hear the exhaust note while drifting off to sleep...

·
Registered
190 Posts
....Alfa's engineers have the answer. They added port injection in 2020. Short of that, or a completely redesigned variable valve system (cough...multiair..cough..), not much they can do.

If it is caused by carbon build-up that will probably solve the issue, as it has the effect of cleaning the valves.

Carbon build-up in an engine happens due to heat. Studies have shown a hot engine will actually build-up carbon faster, with build-up beginning about 370 and increasing till 550 degrees farenheit. Investigation of the Intake Valve Deposit Formation Tendency Affected by Engine Surrounding Conditions

With build-up stopping once the engine gets above 550, with a sweet spot at around 600, the carbon decarboxylates and breaks up instead of binding to the metal. Effect of Elevated Piston Temperature on Combustion Chamber Deposit Growth

I would guess that the Quad engine, being a twin turbo, small displacement engine runs in the bad temperature range for alot of it's rev band, an issue made worse by exhaust gasses being recirculated while driving with a "cold" engine. (If the sweet spot for the engine is around 500 degrees that means it will recirculate gases till that temp is achieved which means alot of carbon is being recirculated for possibly the first 10-15 minutes of driving..if yo rarely keep the engine running longer than that because you are making alot of stop and go trips...might be killing your engine.)

All this basically means, a pre-2020 Stevio QV is really not the best choice of vehicles for making multiple short trips..a problem probably made worse if you drive the car like it wants to be driven during those trips.

Knowing this..if you use your Quad as a grocery getter, drive easy till the engine reaches full operating temp to minimize gas recirculation, and make your stops as fast as possible so the engine doesnt cool off completely. ...and maybe take the long way everywhere..cause it's better for the car.....

My guess is the engineers didn't realize how many people would use the Quad as primary transportation, thought it would be more of a long drive/track queen.. Which is dumb...if I had a Quad I would want to drive it everywhere, all the time...leave it idling when parked at home, just to hear the exhaust note while drifting off to sleep...
Carbon buildup was ruled out in these cases.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don’t have this issue and live in Florida where it’s hot 8 months of the year.
Many years ago we had a BMW that suffered from this and it was the gas we used.

I don’t recall seeing this issue on here with a Quad.

What fuel have you been using?

Ian

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Carbon build-up was ruled out it terms of looking down and seeing any. Which does change the idea for sure.

My theory is, what if the carbon doesn't really build-up due to the engine running in the sweet spot for breaking up the carbon much of the time. Most of it gets blown out.

However - given variables like gas quality - on start-up maybe there are loose peices of carbon that can get temporarily stuck in an injector, causing a misfire. Very temporary, and only on start-up. You would need a lab, engine, tools and time to figure that out..but the engineers at Alfa have those....just saying...could explain the addition of port injection-that little bit of unburned gas dissolves that little bit of carbon that messes things up. Which they then say is for emissions since it would create lower carbon on start-up. Who knows really.

·
Registered
109 Posts

No way that it’s carbon build-up on an engine that new. A flashing mil indicates a catalyst damaging event, such as misfire. The dealer should be able to scan and see which cylinder or cylinders were misfiring. A leaking injector could cause the problem. I’ve had to go as far as to put paper towels under the injectors while they were still connected to the fuel rails and pressurize the system. Then go back hours later to look for any drips. I also would doubt a problem with the variable valve timing. There is no reason that I can think of for it to cause a problem only when cold. My 2018 Quad has 3,500 miles on it. I will feel a rough idle occasionally on cold starts but it disappears within 10 seconds and does not turn the mil on. That one will be a needle in the haystack to solve, but because of no mil coming on, dealers won’t even bother with it. I have a hard enough time just getting them to document my complaint, which is what the original poster should do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi everyone, i have stelvio QV before one week i bring back my car feom dealership regarding engine noise on cold start , they did a full check and test drive and then they told me all the records fine and thats normal for cold start, today i started the car after 3 days the car stay in garage not using it , i noticed that car start with vibration and the check engine light flashing for 1 min then i stoped the engine and start it again ,then everything back to normal no vibration and no engine light , i made a test drive for 40 minutes nothing happened every thing was fine ,so im thinking should a bring it back to dealership for another test? or things like that may happen because the car stayed 3 days without start it ? thank you .
I have a Stelvio QV and have not had any issues like that. Make sure that you use premium fuel and always warm up before driving. Typically turbo vehicles it is suggested to have a cool down period so that may help.

My only issues is the rear camera after washing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i was told also this is calling misfire , and it could happend randomly
Yes, it appears there are issue with miss-fire. I have a 2018 Ti and this happened several times. I suggest you tell the dealer to drive it for more than a 10 minute test drive, but maybe more like 40 - 50 minutes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, it appears there are issue with miss-fire. I have a 2018 Ti and this happened several times. I suggest you tell the dealer to drive it for more than a 10 minute test drive, but maybe more like 40 - 50 minutes.
Except that the original poster said that it only happens on a cold start and is gone after 1 minute. He has driven it forty miles just to see if the problem would happen again. The thing is, the misfire history gets stored for a long time in history files onboard. The scan tool can tell the tech the exact conditions that it happened under.

·
Registered
stelvio QV
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: the check engine came again after 1 month with cold start again , after the first post before 28 days i send the car to dealership and they keept it 2 weeks for checking it and they found that cylinder 1 has a missfire , they clean the enjectors and sparks and updating the system software , then told me that every thing should be fine , now its been 2 weeks the car was fine untill today i got the missfire and check engine again but this time the chek engine not only flashing but it stay ! now i sent it again to dealership, But ihave somthing i would to discuss with you , that i found the problem came only after i refueling the tank , fist time the issue came also after refueling the tank next day , so what do you think is it maybe a fuel cap or somthing ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
That’s what I’m thinking. Filling the tank mixes the contaminant up and then the pump sends it. I don’t see how an evap vent problem would cause some sort of pressure problem. And if it did, an evap code would set.

·
Registered
stelvio QV
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im really confused about this car im starting to hate it really,, the weird think is the dealership keept it for 2 weeks and they even cant find the problem thats why its come again ,wondering how they cant check the faults in there system

1 - 20 of 30 Posts