Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
im really confused about this car im starting to hate it really,, the weird think is the dealership keept it for 2 weeks and they even cant find the problem thats why its come again ,wondering how they cant check the faults in there system
Intermittent electrical and drivability problems are the worst things for mechanics to track down and solve. The fault code just tells them when the fault occurred and what system the problem affected. Frustrating for everyone.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Have you told them about the issues happening soon after getting filling the gas tank?

Bad gas could cause the issue. If it is debris that somehow got into your tank the only real solution will be to drop the gas tank and clean it out, or completely replace it with a new one.

Problem is that may not be considered warrenty.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have you told them about the issues happening soon after getting filling the gas tank?

Bad gas could cause the issue. If it is debris that somehow got into your tank the only real solution will be to drop the gas tank and clean it out, or completely replace it with a new one.

It wouldn’t be. The dealer might eat the cost of checking it out, but Alfa sure as heck wouldn’t. A fuel sample from the fuel line might show something, but due to the problem occurring only once in awhile, a sample may not show a thing.

·
Registered
stelvio QV
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

replacing a tank for car with 7k mielage? idont think its about dirt ,if it was contaminants then it could happent immediately after filling up when that contaminants mixed with the fuel , but the missfire happend after one day . im thinking about purg valve or the vent one , idont know im waiting there obd scaner what will tell them this time

·
Registered
110 Posts
replacing a tank for car with 7k mielage? idont think its about dirt ,if it was contaminants then it could happent immediately after filling up when that contaminants mixed with the fuel , but the missfire happend after one day . im thinking about purg valve or the vent one , idont know im waiting there obd scaner what will tell them this time
Contamination is possible, but an evap problem should set a code. Looking at the O2 sensor data stored when the code sets might tell if the misfire was caused by a rich or lean condition as well.

·
Registered
stelvio QV
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
update: dealership get back to me today and they said they checked the evap system and every thing is ok with it , but the scanner found the cylinder 1,4 both got missfire, and they said the problem with the sparks got wet ! some water get into them which is wierd they asked me me if i washed the engine but i did not , im wondering from wher the water get inside them , this is the pics of the sparks belew,, and i see the sparks not bad so why they asked me to change them

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
update: dealership get back to me today and they said they checked the evap system and every thing is ok with it , but the scanner found the cylinder 1,4 both got missfire, and they said the problem with the sparks got wet ! some water get into them which is wierd they asked me me if i washed the engine but i did not , im wondering from wher the water get inside them , this is the pics of the sparks belew,, and i see the sparks not bad so why they asked me to change them
They might have pointing out burn-throughs on the boot of the wire. Asking to change the spark plugs? That’s a warranty claim. So would be replacing the wires. Actually, if the spark plugs are setting the misfire code, that would be considered an emissions concern. The emissions warranty is longer than the base vehicle warranty. Newer style spark plugs don’t really lend themselves to cleaning, which may be why they want to replace them. That little rust ring really isn’t anything to worry about. Depending on where you live, maybe the water is from condensation occurring from the cycling of engine compartment temps. Especially if you are in a high humidity area. It’s possible, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
100% agree with the statement above.

Pretty sure those boots can't be replaced they attach directly to the coil pack. IMO they should be replaced. I would press for it being warrenty.

As far as water getting in, like @FigaroFred said it's possible... however, I spray my engine bay out whenever I wash the car. No problems with water. (I use the hose, no pressure) to me that orangeish ring looks like the beginning of corona soiling. And that is from electrical stress on the plug not water.

At least according to a spark plug manufacturer. Go to the bottom of the following link. Troubleshooting | Basic Knowledge | SPARK PLUG | Automotive Service Parts and Accessories | DENSO Global Website

Given the wear on the boot/coil pack, electrical stress would make sense.

All that is what makes me say...the coil packs need to be replaced.

To me..it looks like defective coil packs causing spark plug damage and misfires. Which should be warrenty.

Maybe talk to the manager.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio QV w/ Sparco seats 💺
108 Posts
100% agree with the statement above.

Pretty sure those boots can't be replaced they attach directly to the coil pack. IMO they should be replaced. I would press for it being warrenty.

As far as water getting in, like @FigaroFred said it's possible... however, I spray my engine bay out whenever I wash the car. No problems with water. (I use the hose, no pressure) to me that orangeish ring looks like the beginning of corona soiling. And that is from electrical stress on the plug not water.

At least according to a spark plug manufacturer. Go to the bottom of the following link. Troubleshooting | Basic Knowledge | SPARK PLUG | Automotive Service Parts and Accessories | DENSO Global Website

Given the wear on the boot/coil pack, electrical stress would make sense.

All that is what makes me say...the coil packs need to be replaced.

To me..it looks like defective coil packs causing spark plug damage and misfires. Which should be warrenty.

Maybe talk to the manager.
I am in the same boat... had my second misfire within 2 months and the first time they just replaced the spark plug. This time they are replacing the coil packs and spark plugs... we shall see how it goes 😒

·
Registered
stelvio QV
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
today the dealership told me they dont have sparks plug in stock ! i thought first they just like kidding with me but wow that’s true i can’t believe a dealership dont have parts like sparks plugs in stock , now they said they have to place an order from dubai and will take 2 weeks and they will keep my car in their garage ! i never deal with such a bad dealership like that in my life , anyone plz tell me is it possible to raise a complaint to alfa romeo against that dealership ?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts