Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you're asking for an opinion otherwise ignore: I would replace 2 X Turbo with "Twin Turbo" and center the height in the space provided, it steals too much from the V6 emblem. Overall, I'm not a fan but if it fits into your vision/goal, it's pretty cool.

Regarding Accuracy: Is it a Ferrari engine minus 2 cylinders? Not really but it's VERY similar to the old California T engine. Is it Ferrari inspired? YES Not that Top Gear is always accurate but it's the best explanation my little brain can consume.

Inspired by Ferrari?
That’s the phraseology, but there’s more to it than that – it shares bore and stroke measurements with the eight cylinder Ferrari California T and comes from the same F154 engine family. I suspect Alfa would love to make more of a song and dance about this, but FCA doesn’t want to risk devaluing the Ferrari mystique. So it’s ‘inspired by Ferrari’ and not ‘Ferrari-engined’. Shame. Remember the Lancia Thema 8.32? If not, look it up.

·
Registered
542 Posts
In my opinion (because I believe you are asking for opinions with the ??????): if the engine wasn't made in a Ferrari factory and stamped with the Ferrari name, it's not a Ferrari. If someone really wants a Ferrari then that's what they should purchase. I personally think it's silly to put a Ferrari logo on it when it's an Alfa but to each their own.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks it has now been completely removed. Asked for opinions cause I wasn’t very happy with it but had already installed.?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It is assembled/manufactured by Ferrari at a Ferrari engine factory. I'm sure if you pulled the block apart more than a few parts would have their stamp.

Regardless it is not a "Ferrari engine with 2 cylinders chopped off" anymore than Coca-Cola made from sugar is the same as when made from corn syrup no matter how much scientists want to talk about how the chemical structures are identical. More to it than that, taste it. IMO, every time you hear or read that phrase in a review, that is your clue to the review being entertainment and not information. Which is fine, nothing wrong with that, just good to know.

Just the cylinder deactivation system required enough re-engineering, if the block were taken from anyone besides Ferrari, Alfa would be claiming it as their design. No Ferrari engine has it, none. The Maserati V6 is more a Dodge engine than the Alfa is a Ferrari in terms of design and carry-over parts.

Otherwise, yes "Twin" turbo is the standard nomenclature (woop, woop! got my vocabulary prize for the day!).

IMO it would look best with just "Turbo" centered under Ferrari...taking off was probably best though, a little busy. Might be cool to debadge the engine. Take everything off and get a custom machined aluminum cover that looks more like the engine parts that stupid plastic cover pretends to look like....put a big cloverleaf in the middle with the triangle integrated into the center design..ohh yeah...paint it body color....dang someone needs to make this...

·
Registered
171 Posts
You're going to run out of bling options sooner or later. What then? :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
It is assembled/manufactured by Ferrari at a Ferrari engine factory. I'm sure if you pulled the block apart more than a few parts would have their stamp.
I've read that it's assembled in the Termoli Plant along side the 4cyl. I believe Ferrari produces their engines in Maranello.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've read that it's assembled in the Termoli Plant along side the 4cyl. I believe Ferrari produces their engines in Maranello.
You'r right. I wasn't thinking.

The block itself is made at the Ferrari factory (or made by the same factory that makes it for Ferrari, doubt they actually forge anything) probably pistons, some other stuff, then assembly is all by Alfa. Maybe better that way, the Alfa factory is newer....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stay close, sometimes it happens very quickly, I can’t control myself (trust me I’m not bragging it’s a sickness and has cost me a ton of money over the years). My wife’s car was a 2017 C63 AMG coupe that we had just spent $5K for some engine mods and we innocently stopped by the AR dealer. Within 7 days we were flying to Vegas to drive the Stelvio home. Put the AMG on Craigslist and sold it within 8 hours. Again, not good and not proud of this but I love cars!!! D4C9C8CC-E876-4E04-A34C-507119EB27EE_1560213211145.jpeg 721AD16B-C11D-46FC-8AF4-983E22446C1D_1560213171926.jpeg 721AD16B-C11D-46FC-8AF4-983E22446C1D_1560213171926.jpeg

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Stay close, sometimes it happens very quickly, I can’t control myself (trust me I’m not bragging it’s a sickness and has cost me a ton of money over the years). My wife’s car was a 2017 C63 AMG coupe that we had just spent $5K for some engine mods and we innocently stopped by the AR dealer. Within 7 days we were flying to Vegas to drive the Stelvio home. Put the AMG on Craigslist and sold it within 8 hours. Again, not good and not proud of this but I love cars!!! View attachment 15385 View attachment 15383 View attachment 15383
Beautiful C63. I have a co-worker like you. When I first met him he had traded in 2 cars that year. The car I met him with was an Audi SQ5. Before me he had never tuned a car. He met my last MINI (garage queen at the time). I let him drive a friends that was unmodified and then mine that was heavily modified (suspension, CAI, METH, NEW Headm Cam, very aggressive tune, high flow dp, muffler delete but with a cherry pipe to knock the sound down a few decibels). He went nuts at the difference a few extra grand did for the car. Well in 2 months we had an aggressive pulley, exhaust, stage 2 tune, wildwood breaks, CAI and his wife was pissed. Mission was accomplished. Then he had some minor warranty work that had zero to do with anything we had done, but naturally Audi saw the ECU counter and tried to void the full warranty. Well we are both attorneys and attorneys working for the same company during a down time. Needless to say his warranty wasn't voided and was ready for his next conquest. now 20k under water he is in a M5 with Dinan and other parts. So he is making triple payments so his wife doesn't learn that his addiction added another 20 k to a 60k car (used). He is trying to talk me in to making the sacrifice and buy the QV instead of the Q4. I can't do it. We are both in oil and gas and I am single. We have a downturn I have 1k payment and no job, He He will have a 1000 payment and a wife who does ok. I am intentionally avoiding driving or riding in a QV..... Someone will get me though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Beautiful C63. I have a co-worker like you. When I first met him he had traded in 2 cars that year. The car I met him with was an Audi SQ5. Before me he had never tuned a car. He met my last MINI (garage queen at the time). I let him drive a friends that was unmodified and then mine that was heavily modified (suspension, CAI, METH, NEW Headm Cam, very aggressive tune, high flow dp, muffler delete but with a cherry pipe to knock the sound down a few decibels). He went nuts at the difference a few extra grand did for the car. Well in 2 months we had an aggressive pulley, exhaust, stage 2 tune, wildwood breaks, CAI and his wife was pissed. Mission was accomplished. Then he had some minor warranty work that had zero to do with anything we had done, but naturally Audi saw the ECU counter and tried to void the full warranty. Well we are both attorneys and attorneys working for the same company during a down time. Needless to say his warranty wasn't voided and was ready for his next conquest. now 20k under water he is in a M5 with Dinan and other parts. So he is making triple payments so his wife doesn't learn that his addiction added another 20 k to a 60k car (used). He is trying to talk me in to making the sacrifice and buy the QV instead of the Q4. I can't do it. We are both in oil and gas and I am single. We have a downturn I have 1k payment and no job, He He will have a 1000 payment and a wife who does ok. I am intentionally avoiding driving or riding in a QV..... Someone will get me though.
life is too short... Just get the qv discounted.

maybe go full evil and open a plaintiff’s shop, pick up some med mal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts