Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you experienced this issue?

I was doing some WOT accelerations today, and after I released the gas pedal, the RPM did not seem to want to drop quickly. Instead it stayed above 3000 RPM for quite some time, even though my cruise speed was only about 40 MPH. It happened to me several times already. Isn't the transmission supposed to upshift and lower the RPM soon after any heavy acceleration?

I also realized that sometimes when I go through a big downhill, the RPM wants to stay high, even though my foot is not on the gas pedal at all.

My idle speed also seems to be pretty high, >800 RPM.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Under hard acceleration the transmission holds its gear, especially in Dynamic mode. It's a sports SUV and the last thing you want in spirited driving is for it to upshift everytime you let off for a second or if you are maintaining throttle position through a corner.

Reactions: tom1356

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a weekend get-a-way up in Maine, and the street off which I reside is midway on a little steep incline - and find my Stelvio sometimes has a little trouble finding the right gear sometimes whether coming up or down the hill (and I'll qualify this by saying I almost drive exclusively in D mode on the DNA selector). When I round the corner to tackle the uphill, sometimes the transmission clicks into 2nd gear all too quickly, and then she has a struggle moving, and I have to really mash down on the pedal to force the downshift back to 1.
Then on times when I round the corner to go down the hill, I'll let the car coast and the transmission will deliberately stay in second gear and really run high on the RPM's - even though I have not activated hill descent.
I have only had one other car since I recently bought this property, and it was a 6 speed manual, so I did the deciding when it came to gears and shifting. I'll play around with the other 2 driving modes to see if I find any different behavior. So - while I find the transmission pretty amazing otherwise, it just seems a little indecisive in this particular scenario.

·
Registered
80 Posts
And now that I re-read my post, I'm asking myself why not have a little fun with those gorgeous paddle shifters?!? :p

·
Registered
534 Posts
Exactly, just use the paddles. The shift algorithm is pretty good in my opinion but when I'm done with a short burst of acceleration and it's holding a gear, just hit the right paddle to upshift once or pull and hold for multiple.

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
56 Posts
Under hard acceleration the transmission holds its gear, especially in Dynamic mode. It's a sports SUV and the last thing you want in spirited driving is for it to upshift everytime you let off for a second or if you are maintaining throttle position through a corner.
I have noticed this...dynamic mode does a nice job of keeping the car in the useable RPM range, and even some engine breaking occurs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts