Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an interesting review from Forbes Magazine: https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2018/01/18/does-this-italian-beauty-have-what-it-takes-to-challenge-germanys-best/#660157ea38ce The guy notes this: "At normal road speeds, wind and road noise are nicely contained while subtle synthetically generated and surprisingly appealing exhaust sounds are piped in through the speakers." Is this more FAKE NEWS or ???

While tinkering with my Stella, I haven't been able to hear any 'piped in' motor noise; if it were to be there I would assume in 'DYNAMIC' mode. Does this guy know what he's talking about ?

Anybody have the zoom zoom experience of piped-in motor noise?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I vaguely recall reading Stelvio pumps in engine noise via speakers. Some cars do pump in a simulated exhaust note via the speakers. I know the V6 supercharged Audi S5 does this. The V6 replaced a glorious sounding V8 and Audi couldn't help themselves. I have the V8 and real sound.

I am hopeful for a louder catback system for the Stelvio, but am very leery given my bad experience with drone on my Miata.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
yes, there is a small microphone close to the intake (search for the thread) which feeds through the front speakers if I remember correctly.

so "synthetically generated" is fake; it is genuinely created and just amplified near as I can tell.

apparently this does not apply to the stelvio Q, which is wholly natural.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. They thought of everything ! I wonder if there's a setting or video for that? I want to crank it up to 'NASCAR' level and see if she notices! Reminds me of the obsessive motor noises we all made pushing our cars around on the carpet LOL but safe to say this is the nicest set of wheels I've ever owned to this day!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts