Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
EOBD System Failure today resulting in Stella going into limp home mode. Only 3500 miles and a new water pump being ordered from Italy. She'll be off the road for at least a week. Anyone else had this issue? Decent service from the dealership with no issues in giving me a loaner Stelvio for the week. Still disappointing though.

Premium Member
sorry to hear about the trouble... this is the only water pump failure I've heard of so far.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Just had a call from Alfa Romeo in Milan telling me they are aware I have had a problem and ensuring the dealership has given me a loan car and are keeping me up to date with the progress. Parts taking 3 - 5 days from Italy so hopefully I'll be back on the road some time next week. A further update is promised tomorrow. Nice touch on customer service from Alfa. Too often they seem to take a battering on this forum and others for poor customer service.

Also read in AutoExpress magazine (they have a Giulia on long term test) that in the last 12 months a diesel, a Veloce and a Quadrifoglio they have tested all suffered the same fault "Check Engine" warning before the car goes into limp home mode. Seems I am not alone after all......

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Stella is back home following the installation of a new water pump. Really pleased in the way the Dealership (PENTAGON Doncaster) and Alfa Romeo handled this. Thank you.

Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
We have a saying at work: "It's not always what went wrong but what happens when something goes wrong that makes all the difference." I'm not advocating for problems, but: It's nice to see a good outcome and my own experience was the same when we had an issue at first. AR and our dealer jumped through hoops. Getting this right is Job 1 for them and it shows.

Sorry you had the problem but it's good to know you had a good result. I am wondering if some of the early build units had this issue (would explain press vehicles) unfortunately reinforced the Top Gear narrative.

Wishing you well and hope you are enjoying the ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Bad news from Stella in the UK - EOBD System failure - again. Check engine warning light with limp home mode engaged. Looks like the same fault as we had 3 weeks ago when the water pump had to be replaced. This time however its in combination with an Alternator fault. :-(

Registered
Therefore parts not bad....it really the EOBD I bet sending poor signals. Will have to watch this one

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
ANOTHER new water pump is on order with a new wiring loom. Been off the road for 7 days now

Registered
Have them test the original water pump to see if it even failed. I will bet it is fine and this a your classic throw parts at an electrical malfunction issue!!

Registered
Have them test the original water pump to see if it even failed. I will bet it is fine and this a your classic throw parts at an electrical malfunction issue!!
My thoughts exactly. I doubt the water pump ever failed- especially since the EOBD error is back. There is a shortage of auto repair technicians in the United States, precisely because the type of electronic knowledge in diagnosing and repairing modern cars is a skill that can earn more money elsewhere.

When a technician does not know the cause of an error they can resort to replacing components, instead of finding the underlying cause.

This happens with passenger aircraft also. Lots of aircraft components that are replaced, are later tested and found to be perfectly operable.

Marzio is correct- you may need to go to a different dealer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I am told that the diagnostic report was sent to Italy. It was Alfa who instructed the Dealer to change the water pump. Alfa Romeo are sending someone to inspect the Stelvio at the Dealership. Will update as soon as I know more. On a more positive note the loan car I have is a new Giulia and I am very impressed.

Registered
Audi just recalled 1.2 million cars for water pumps - if the Alfa pumps are from the same supplier, they may have wanted to look at yours just in case ...

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Stella has been in the dealership for 23 days now. STILL waiting for parts from Italy. Running out of patience now....:sad

1 - 20 of 36 Posts