Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After several weeks of negotiations and remote paperwork handling, I was finally all set to pick up my brand new Stelvio QV from the dealership in OHIO. Flew in the night before to pick up the car in the morning. The car had 60 miles on the odometer but it looked brand spanking new so I did not make an issue out of it. I had 500 miles trip back to New York ahead of me and all was fine for the first 100miles or so. I was told not to push it and keep the revs below 3000 until I reach the end of the break-in period at 600miles. I'v set the DNA to N and drove off without any issues. Right around 188 miles mark the flat roads started to slowly transition to an uphill climb. I have noticed that the car started to struggle to keep the revs below 2500rpms which it did for the entire time out of the dealership, and lt looked like it was going to be the first time the car will spool up the turbos. Right at the time when the car downshifted and the RPMS were about to cross 3000 the check engine light goes off and it gives me Sevice Electronic Throttle Control message. The car now would not go past the 3000 rpm and is now limited to N mode only. It seemed like the car went to limp mode but strangely It kept the high speeds(70mph)

I could not believe my own eyes. The brand new car breaks down on its first trip from the dealership. Do not take me wrong, I do love Alfa's . As a matter of fact, this Stelvio is my second car. I also own a 2017 Giulia Ti which I absolutely adore. I did 18k on my Giulia in the span of 3 years and it never gave me any issues. All my trips to the dealership were either for the factory recalls or scheduled maintenance appointments. To say I was pissed as hell by what happened is basically to say nothing. I was fuming all the way back to NYC. Thankfully the car did not go into the full limp mode with 30 mph speed limit and was driving at highway speed's all the way back, but the acceleration was comparable to 144hp Lexus CT that I used to own back in the days. On my way back I called the dealership and told them about the problem. They informed me that it is safe to drive the car as long as the check engine light is solid and not blinking and told me to take the car to my local service as soon as I can. The closest timeslot the local dealership has is 20 days away. The irony is mesmerizing! Waited for several weeks just to wait for several more.

Long story short, after reading some terrifying stories about Sevice Electronic Throttle Control messages out of the dealerships on this forum, I was now compelled to know what was this message about so I used my OBDII scanner to read the code and I got P0244 error. Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Circuit Range/Performance.
My initial search by error code did not yield any results on this forum, but I am hoping that someone with the knowledge will eventually reply to this thread and maybe even tell me that its nothing major and the issue will not result in indefinite hold of the car in service :( Highly appreciate your help

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio QV
76 Posts
First check with Alfa should almost always be the battery. With engine off ensure you have at least 24 volts. Battery in back where spare tire usually is. Anything less has caused ETC errors. Not always the issue but many times it is. Search the forum on "Battery" and you will see many posts. If this is your issue get a trickle charger and use it regularly or upgrade to an AGM battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don’t expect any answers from the OP, he hasn’t been back to the forum in months and won’t see your posts. I hope he got it fixed.

Checking the battery should be the first diagnostic and can be done without a visit to the dealer, good call. But checking the battery voltage alone is a waste of time, it needs to be load tested. This can be done for free at auto parts stores like AutoZone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The reason i asked is that is a code normally associated with bpv failure and wanted to see if that fixed it. Definitely aware of battery/voltage related codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Long story short, after reading some terrifying stories about Sevice Electronic Throttle Control messages out of the dealerships on this forum, I was now compelled to know what was this message about so I used my OBDII scanner to read the code and I got P0244 error. Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Circuit Range/Performance.
My initial search by error code did not yield any results on this forum, but I am hoping that someone with the knowledge will eventually reply to this thread and maybe even tell me that its nothing major and the issue will not result in indefinite hold of the car in service :( Highly appreciate your help
I had the same issue with my QV after about 5k miles. The fault is an misfire on cylinder 2. It is an easy fix. My brother had a similar issue with his, but his was a bad battery. They updated my ECM which is a known issue, but not a recall issue. They only fix if it goes bad. One of the good things about it is, now my QV exhaust stays in the race mode position all the time as part of the update (like the 2020) and it sounds sweet even in D mode now

Gregg

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the same issue with my QV after about 5k miles. The fault is an misfire on cylinder 2. It is an easy fix. My brother had a similar issue with his, but his was a bad battery. They updated my ECM which is a known issue, but not a recall issue. They only fix if it goes bad. One of the good things about it is, now my QV exhaust stays in the race mode position all the time as part of the update (like the 2020) and it sounds sweet even in D mode now

Gregg
P0244 is an overboost code not cyl 2 misfire. Thats why im asking about that code specifically.

·
Registered
10 Posts
P0244 is an overboost code not cyl 2 misfire. Thats why im asking about that code specifically.
I'm sorry. After looking at my service ticket it was P0302 error code. Cylinder 2 misfire.

Reactions: bhvrdr
1 - 8 of 8 Posts