Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is always some soot build-up at the bottom of the chrome tip after a day or two. Does yours have this issue too?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Every couple of days I cleaned it off, would black tips be any better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's the same thing for me, with the Stelvio and the 991. I clean them when I was the cars.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Thanks all- same issue here and I appreciate the chrome (old school, I like a little bling). We intentionally opted for the base unit with satin window surrounds, roof rails, and of course the 20" wheels with yellow calipers. Beautiful.

Since I wash from top down, I add a little Dawn for the rocker bases, wheels, wheel wells, and below the belt, using the wheel brush from Amazon referred in a previous post. It didn't remove all of the carbon and it helps to have an idea what to do. Looks like Pep Boys has the Autosol. Thanks for the tip on the tips, moparbrian!

10 weeks in and I still wake up in the night excited about what's in the garage; get all warm and excited taking it out for a spin.

Reactions: Faemous

·
Registered
536 Posts
have you considered to go to a car specific soap? Dish soaps tend to be tough on waxed finishes.

Thanks all- same issue here and I appreciate the chrome (old school, I like a little bling). We intentionally opted for the base unit with satin window surrounds, roof rails, and of course the 20" wheels with yellow calipers. Beautiful.

Since I wash from top down, I add a little Dawn for the rocker bases, wheels, wheel wells, and below the belt, using the wheel brush from Amazon referred in a previous post. It didn't remove all of the carbon and it helps to have an idea what to do. Looks like Pep Boys has the Autosol. Thanks for the tip on the tips, moparbrian!

10 weeks in and I still wake up in the night excited about what's in the garage; get all warm and excited taking it out for a spin.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
have you considered to go to a car specific soap? Dish soaps tend to be tough on waxed finishes.

OH- only at the bottom and wheel areas. I am a total neurotic about micro scratches and using detergents!

Reactions: zvezdah1

·
Registered
49 Posts
I spent an hour trying to clean mine last weekend. I ended up using rubbing compound because it had 5 months of build up on the tips. I'm cleaning them weekly now, but my goodness they get dirty quickly, and wow it was a ton of rubbing to get them clean. If I had to do it again, I'd get a Mother's powerball and polish it with a drill.

Once I figure out an exhaust solution (aftermarket or custom job), I'll get some black or carbon tips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is always some soot build-up at the bottom of the chrome tip after a day or two. Does yours have this issue too?

Simple to keep soot off the chrome exhaust tips, use 94 Octane fuel without Ethanol? Available in Canada at Chevron stations.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I did the ceramic coating on my Stelvio, I also put the coating on the chrome tips. While washing, I was surprised how easy the dirt cleaned off the tips with very little effort.

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts

Yes- I only add Dawn below the sheet metal and for the wheels, rockers, and wheel wells.

FYI in case any of you didn't see this post before: Stoner's Invisible Glass product, dry wiped with a dirty rag, is the best thing I am finding - frequent applications between washes seems to prevent the soot buildup (akin to creosote at the bottom). Chrome polish touch ups.

We need a coating that sheds it. Ideas?

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is a Zainos Glass Cleaner I have used on to clean the chrome on exhaust tips for Stelvio and 4c. It removes the black mess with no effort. Keep it off your paint though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I clean mine with NevRDull - its a multipurpose cleaner and polish - requires very little effort, not terribly expensive and lasts. I used to have a summer job in college where I helped clean and stock a sailing yacht for my boss, and this was commonly used for all the shiny bits on the boat. Safely removes soot, light rust, tarnishing, etc., and produces a mirror-like shine. Can be found in most hardware stores in a short blue can. I would just recommend wearing latex gloves, so as to not mess up your hands.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Collinite No. 850 Metal Wax. Easily cleans it off and it seems to make it easier to wipe off for a while after applying.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
5 second wipe of each piece when finishing the dry of a wash is all it takes. to clean edges. What's inside is patina.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts