Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to any audiophiles or car audio people,
Does anyone know if you use an external media player like an iPod classic if the the DAC in the player is used or the DAC in the head unit? I am considering picking up a 5th gen. iPod classic and connecting it to the the center console USB. This iPod is generally considered to be the best sounding, but if the DAC in the head unit is used then I will stick to a large USB flash drive for media storage.
Additionally, is there anyone out there that has experimented with adding an external DAC/digital processor? I have the standard audio system and was wondering if anyone has tweaked it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
!!! My Ipods won't play but my old Iphone 4 will. Typically if you use the Apple main connector, the DAC on the Ipod is active. I would love to know how to get my Itunes Applelossless library on a large flasdrive but it is not a recognized format ARGHHHH!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
!!! My Ipods won't play but my old Iphone 4 will. Typically if you use the Apple main connector, the DAC on the Ipod is active. I would love to know how to get my Itunes Applelossless library on a large flasdrive but it is not a recognized format ARGHHHH!
Use DB poweramp and convert the files. I picked up a 64 GB flash drive, and the head unit plays FLAC and MP.4 files. I tried DSD, but no luck. I have also been able to play some music off mu iPhone 7, to include Tidal Hifi. I was even able to control most of the functions from the center controller. I really don't hate the audio system as many others do, maybe I didn't have really high expectations. Two channel home audio(mostly LP's) is a passion of mine, so i have never really expected much from car audio. I will be moving soon, and will be spending an hour or more each way to work. I was thinking about maybe playing around with the standard system I have.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Been there tried that. Apple Lossless is the PIA here. I should never have used it! And library is 15000+ songs! ~1200 CD's!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been there tried that. Apple Lossless is the PIA here. I should never have used it! And library is 15000+ songs! ~1200 CD's!!
I initially used it as well, but changed mostly FLAC when I started to use other media players like Roon. I didn't have anywhere near as many files, so I converted them to FLAC. BTW I forgot to mention I was able to get the Alfa(MM actually)to play his res 24/96 files.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts