Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

factory hitch on Quad

20K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Deman77 
#1 ·
I think it may be the first hitch on a Quad, Herb Chambers Alfa/Boston installed it, I think their first hitch install on a Stelvio too.
Really nice job, couldn't be happier, and the trimming lines up with the strakes in the underpan, so it looks like it belongs there (unless you don't think a hitch belongs on a Quad.
They work on very high end stuff, so a clean job was expected by them as well as me - there are 3 0r 4 Urus' there, a bunch of Bentayga's, Levantes, and a Cullihan. didn't notice hitches on any of them.
pic's to follow, now (soon) I can get a trailer!

thanks to Michelle at ARUSA too, because of my earlier issue they helped me out on this, which is appreciated. AND everyone at HC was great through the prior issue and this "upgrade".

it will be interesting to see what if any visible difference there is with the Stealth on a Quad compared to factory.

#4 ·
someone was asking about oil coolers/brakes/etc (pizzaracer?), looking at the "world" install instructions which are for "Base/Super" versions, it lists a maximum braked trailer weight of 5291 pounds, so with the US capacity restricted to 3000, I'd expect the cooling system is well up to the max US 3000 lb task.

#5 · (Edited)
I would like a hitch on my quad when I get it in 2019. Do you have any pics of how/where it was actually mounted? I looked under one at the dealer but it didn't look like it could be done in the customary way. I want to be able to mount a bike rack and also have a rear anchor point for a kayak that won't touch paint.

#6 ·
There are other threads showing hitch installation with the stealth hitch bolted to the frame rails, and factory parts illustrations with an exploded view. Same method/ points. The curt hitch attaches a little differently to the rails, so is easier to install

#7 ·
I read through the thread(s) you referred me to. They are great for the regular Stelvio but very non-specific for the Quadrifoglio. I have been told by my local dealer that the Quad exhaust interferes with the regular Stelvio hitches. So I have a couple more questions...

I am assuming this is on your Quad?
Is the hitch you posted pics of a Stealth hitch or a custom job?
Is there a company that makes a Quad hitch yet that you are aware of?

#8 ·
I have the factory Alfa hitch, installed by the dealer, as noted on the thread.
It is the same hitch that goes on non- Quads, another member had a stealth hitch installed on his shortly after my install.
the frame/mounting points are the same, the under valance is different and is trimmed as the pics show to clear the receiver.
the exhaust hangars needed relocating, other than not having installed one previously (I don't think anyone had on a quad, and it was their first on any stelvio), and wanting to take the time to do a clean job, that was the only item of note.

I am unaware of the curt being installed on a quad yet, but expect it would be easier just as it is on the others, as it is located below the valance.

#13 ·
Indeed.

I read through the thread(s) you referred me to. They are great for the regular Stelvio but very non-specific for the Quadrifoglio. I have been told by my local dealer that the Quad exhaust interferes with the regular Stelvio hitches. So I have a couple more questions...

I am assuming this is on your Quad?
Is the hitch you posted pics of a Stealth hitch or a custom job?
Is there a company that makes a Quad hitch yet that you are aware of?
Lost definitely has a factory hitch on his Quad and I went with the Stealth Hitch on mine - in the attached picture, you can slightly see where the receiver connects. I used a local installer that was listed on the Stealth Hitch site and they did a great job with it. It's about as invisible as you can ask for, although pricier than a standard hitch and as a downside you are now stuck in their eco-system of connections.

#12 ·
Install diagram, and the cross brace replaced by the hitch. With the curt I think this remains in place and they add another cross piece lower, which is why you dont have to take the bumper cover off
The euro bicycle rack might be better for you, and cheaper

Attachments

#17 ·
Hi, guys.
Quick question to all the non US guys in this Frorum.
Does anyone of you, have a hitch intstalled on the Stelvio Quadrifoglio?
In germany, everyone makes us believe that there is no way to have one installed due to the exhaust, the diffusor, the what so ever.
I cant barley believe that is that much of an hazzle.
Unfortunately, I am not willing to spend all the money for the car just to try out if it works or not.
Looking forward to your answers.
Please, dont keep me driving my Jeep GC SRT. I want that damned Alfa.:)
Peter

#18 ·
it's the same vehicle worldwide as far as structure/construction goes.
you could cross reference german exhaust/diffuser part numbers with other markets - I'm very confident that all the hard pieces are the same.
the only difference you should encounter is the benefit of higher euro tow ratings (with the factory hitch) than we in the US have to deal with.
although the install instructions are labelled "base/super", they are in most every language, including Deutsch -"montageanleitung".
most everybody here thought it wouldn't fit the quads (blame the clarkson comedy routine), but it does, without issue.

I thought there was someone in Europe who had it installed - but not sure.

#24 ·
Hello guys.
To clear it out. When you talk about factory hitch. Do you mean its been provided or manufactured by or from Alfa, or do you just mean, its not custom made by some garage?
I know, there a big differences also between the US and Europe concerning certification of attachment parts, like a hitch or lights, wheels or all the customizing parts.
In germany, we have the "amazing" TÜV which makes our life miserable, when you try to change something on your car which has not been specially certified for this particular type of car.
Therefore i am pretty sure, that it is easier to produce something like a hitch in the US and just mount it under the car.
It would be nice to see a picture of the exhaust area where the hitch is mounted and bolted on the car.

Thanks guys.

#27 ·
Ok. Thank you.
As I said, i was just wondering if you in the US have a hitch which is labeled especially for the Quadrifoglio. But the picture just shows me the one for the normal Stelvio which we can also have in germany.
As far as I know and also according the german speaking forums there is not a single user who ever tried to install the normal hitch under a quadrifoglio.
This maybe also comes with the fact, that you are not allowed to do this, if the hitch is not especially approved for the Quadrifoglio. According your paper its only approved for the Base and Super. To have it approved, you have to go to the TÜV and pay quiet an amount of money to them to have it checked by engineers and to put their stamps.
But. if this fits without problems, I could give it a try as well and maybe invest the money.

Thank you.
peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.