Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the estimated time for a factory ordered stelvio from deposit/acceptance to delivery?

more importantly, is there a way to track or follow the progress of the car from beginning to finish?

·
Registered
32 Posts
FWIW I ordered a Giulia on 2/21/20, then came the shutdown. Even with the disruption, the car was built in May, left Italian port on 5/29 and arrived at US port 6/23. I picked up from dealer on 7/9. as far as tracking progress it's almost impossible for the dealer with Alfa's system. I was lucky enough to get in contact with a Giulia forum member who works at a higher level at FCA. He was able to tell me car was in US a week before dealer knew.

·
Registered
37 Posts
generally speaking, new 2020 Stelvio inventory in the US seems to be getting very low. Is anyone seeing additional inventory showing up at your dealerships? even AutoTrader new listings across a very broad search seem to be zero to minimal. Is the factory at full capacity? How long until additional inventory shows up in the US?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What is the estimated time for a factory ordered stelvio from deposit/acceptance to delivery?

more importantly, is there a way to track or follow the progress of the car from beginning to finish?
In my case I ordered a Stelvio on February 8 and that was the end of any sort of reliable info on the process...which considering the virus was totally understandable...up to a point.

What was not understandable in my opinion was the complete breakdown and lack of any reliable communication once the virus situation stabilized in Italy from either the factory or my local dealer.

I`ve written in another post on my frustration so I won't beat that dead horse again, but I gained more production information on my own from this website and an Italian Alfa Romeo site than anything I received from either the dealer or the factory.

Within the past 10 days I did finally get a vin number and a vessel name for the shipment but no ship date... and of course I was told no other info was available. Yet on my own I was able to download the factory build sheets and find a website to track the ocean going vessel.

If I could get that info myself simply by searching through google then so could my dealer or the factory...if they cared enough to do so. Its not as if these vehicles are flying off the lot based on Alfas latest USA sales figures.

In my opinion building consumer brand relationships carries zero weight at both the factory and dealer level. I'm not at all annoyed at the pandemic induced delays...but now I could ship a pencil via Fed Ex anywhere in the world and they could tell me where it is at anytime in the shipping process. Apparently that is too difficult for Alfa Romeo.

The factory and/or my dealer could have turned my so far negative experience into a positive one with very minimal effort on their part. Since they chose not to once my car arrives I will offer to renegotiate my deal as the world is a different place now then it was when I placed my order.
If they dont wish to do so they can keep the car and I'll move on to something else.

Ok, rant over...ymmv....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bob4southern,
Your experience is not unique. I ordered a Giulia on February 21. I had gone through the same information vacuum with my 2018 Giulia; ordered in Feb 2018 and then it went MIA until December 2018!! All dealer could get from Alfa was that it was built in April. In the meantime I needed a car in June so I bought one off dealer's lot. Like you I couldn't understand how they could lose a $50k car in this age of RFID. Your Fedex analogy is spot on, same for UPS,USPS, Amazon, virtually any manufacturer. I had hoped that by this year Alfa's technology had improved. Then came the shutdown. In May i received a letter from Alfa thanking me for my order and stating that they were working to get my car to me ASAP. But no definite info of course. I did get the car two weeks ago, finally. Alfa (or FCA) really needs to improve their communication with their dealers and customers if they intend to increase custom-build sales. Just my opinion. BTW you'll find the car is worth the wait>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alfa dealers really are trash. If its not because i really want the quad i wouldve been had my order with porsche.
The dealer experience is literally night and day. There is a reason why so many people drive german.
im also doing a factory order and it has been over 14 days with no solid answer as to what is going on - like they havent even accepted my order. 14 days!!! Factory order!!! No 15% off msrp! Uh, i dont want the damn macan lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Johnalfa, Froohyeah
As an aside, in one conversation with my dealer 6 weeks ago when I was on the verge of canceling my order he told me that his rep contact at Alfa assured him that my order would be built on such and such date once the factory reopened.

I told my dealer at that point I wanted to hear that directly from the rep...and lo and behold that afternoon I get a confirming email from a guy with the title of manager of customer experience for Alfa Romeo North America.
Foolishly, I think to myself ah ha, finally someone who knows something so I reply to his email with a follow up question....and never hear back from him.

So I think maybe he never got my follow up email so I resend it....and all I ever hear back is the sound of crickets chirping. And this is the manager of customer experience? I can only guess about what kinds of experiences his group is handling with those sounds of silence.

As it turns out, on an Italian Alfa website that I translate via google on a daily basis I subsequently learn that the plant reopens a week earlier than this guy told me. In the same article they quote the Alfa Romeo North American Brand manager and since I now know this guys name I proceed to send him an email as well using what I believe to be his email address based on the one I had from the customer experience guy....first name dot last name @fcagroup.com.

And don't you know three weeks later...Ive had no reply from him either.

Once again I dont blame any one for the virus induced production delays...it's a pandemic and I dont want to be whining about a car. But what could have been easily handled with very little effort as a brand building experience with a first time consumer has left me thinking if this is how Alfa Romeo and their dealers handle their customers before they even get their order, what's it going to be like once I actually do receive it....?

End of today's rant...and to whoever is reading this....put on a mask...there's still a virus raging 😷

1 - 7 of 7 Posts