Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone else experienced this?

My Stelvio gives out this faint hovering bird like noise every time I shut off the engine, it will last for a few minutes. If I happen to have a bad day, the noise could give me a migraine.

Any idea about where it is from? Is there a fix?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Seems like there was a post about this and it was an Alfa normal thing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mine does this. It’s a pretty high range noise so it blends with my tinnitus a bit. Probably 20k Hz.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you sure it is not coolant being pumped through engine? Even my Giulia Quadrifoglio does that. Not to worry...it’s normal.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mine does it as soon as I unlock the door. So I doubt it’s coolant.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I park my one year old Base Giulia Q4 in a very quiet garage. I always hear this high pitched sound for a minute or so after I turn Giulia off and lock the doors.

·
Registered
508 Posts
here's a test ..... do you live on a hill? prior to shutting off the engine do you drive it a little hard? it could be the turbo spindle winding down. See if you hear the noise after letting the engine idle for a minute (60 seconds or more) right before you turn it off.

And, even with today's turbos its good practice to coast a little and not get on the turbo right before shut off.

Also, try to see if the noise is coming from the engine or any one of the speakers.

Just mi dos centos

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is weird man! I went down to the garage a few minutes ago. I had parked Giulia there about 6 hours ago. First I went outside to check the weather. I did hear a quite loud hovering noise overhead. However, that is from the black choppers that have been following me since I stopped taking the anti-paranoia meds.

The noise from my Giulia is quite different and to me sounds like a high frequency tone from an audio test CD. With the ignition off it is quite low and doesn't even register 60 dB's on my Radio Shack SPL meter. It definitely is coming from the engine compartment. I first put my hand inside the driver's door handle, without the key fob anywhere near, and the tone came on but did not unlock the door. Same thing (tone) when I pushed the drivers door knob button to lock the door without the key fob near. Weird. The tone stays on for about one minute and at the same time the brake light on the dash comes on (red). Then they both go out.

Same thing happens when using the key fob wireless entry method (hand inside door handle) or simply pushing the unlock button on the fob. Tone plus brake light for a minute. Same happens when locking using door button or pushing lock button on key fob. Same thing happens when opening the trunk or raising the hood.

After I turned on the ignition (engine still off), the tone was louder. It was now easier to locate the sound. It was definitely coming from the lower front left hand drivers side of the engine near the pulley/belts. My RS meter now indicated about 72 dB's, see photo below.

I did so many versions of the test I can't remember all the results. The two front door handle lock red lights turned on for several minutes after locking but then changed to blinking red every 5 seconds.. I'm thinking this is perhaps a visible alarm warning indicator?

Except for a little knowledge about fuel, oil and tires my mechanical and electrical knowledge of autos is nil. I'm guessing we have here an active electrical function noise? Maybe this in not what liv4spd is referring to?

Chuck

Attachments

·
Read Only
849 Posts
if it's the same noise that I hear after a trip it's just the turbo water circulation pump and, eventually, the low speed cooling fan, after that some actuators and relays

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it is a high pitched sound, then it probably comes from the Xenon light control gear. (driver unit).
It keeps buzzing for a while after lights go off.

(The same I get on my Skoda VRS)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the most likely root cause to me.
——————
If it is a high pitched sound, then it probably comes from the Xenon light control gear. (driver unit). It keeps buzzing for a while after lights go off.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So this is obviously not a unique situation since a few have experienced it..... Initially i was thinking along the same lines as Marzio but after reading other comments i am thinking of an electric component that might be malfunctioning and staying on needlessly after the power is shut off.

Someone had mentioned hearing the high pitch sound before even unlocking their car in the morning!!

I wonder if you all share the same experience with your car batteries. Is something slowly draining the battery when the car is Off??!! Maybe that's one of the reasons that Stelvio car batteries are drained during shipping and storage.

WIERD.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's probably not the Xenon light control, because if I just open and close the door, the sound will be there, even when the headlight is not activated.

This is the most likely root cause to me.
——————
If it is a high pitched sound, then it probably comes from the Xenon light control gear. (driver unit). It keeps buzzing for a while after lights go off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's probably not the Xenon light control, because if I just open and close the door, the sound will be there, even when the headlight is not activated.

I assume it is only when you open driver's door, is that right?
Modern cars start a few devices when you do that - i.e. fuel pump.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I assume it is only when you open driver's door, is that right?
Modern cars start a few devices when you do that - i.e. fuel pump.
Not for me. The tone comes on when just putting my hand inside the door handle, with or without the key fob anywhere near me or on me and without opening the door. ???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts