Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/business/fiat-chrysler-self-driving-cars.html

They are buying tech for self driving from a start up company in CA, Aurora.

Aurora was started by the person who started Waymo for Google, a former chief designer for Tesla's autopilot, and the guy Uber hired to develop self-driving tech.

Aurora already announced the raising of several hundred million from Amazon along with deals to sell tech to VW and Hyundai.

No merger, FCA bought tech from them and announced it will go into commercial vehicles ASAP.

Good job FCA.

Now just figure out the software managment required to string together a thousand 18650 rechargable batteries and you'll have "cutting edge" EV battery tech like Tesla......

·
Registered
508 Posts
I hope that technology stays far far away from Alfa Romeos. The whole point with Alfas is the driving experience.
DITTO .... however, its a business and they need to invest in the future. Also, pretty sure this will be for commercial side of transportation, initially anyway.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree 100%

Unless they make it like KITT....a sentient computer that can help me track down and apprehend criminals while critiquing my life choices...I'm sold.

...plus I want a passive laser restraint system, always wanted to know how lasers could restrain you...and give the Quad a turbo mode where the body morphs new spoilers before rocketing away.

I already talk to my Stelvio....be cool if it talked back....not like Alexa...KITT or nothing, don't care if it can buy me stuff, I want it to be able to hack computer systems while performing advanced driving stunts as I battle with a criminal mastermind while hanging out the sunroof. That would make self-driving worth it, more than worth it.

Otherwise this is good only because it shows the Renault merger was unneeded. They can get what they need for the mass market cars (which Alfa is not) elsewhere at less corporate cost.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree 100%

Unless they make it like KITT....a sentient computer that can help me track down and apprehend criminals while critiquing my life choices...I'm sold.

...plus I want a passive laser restraint system, always wanted to know how lasers could restrain you...and give the Quad a turbo mode where the body morphs new spoilers before rocketing away.

I already talk to my Stelvio....be cool if it talked back....not like Alexa...KITT or nothing, don't care if it can buy me stuff, I want it to be able to hack computer systems while performing advanced driving stunts as I battle with a criminal mastermind while hanging out the sunroof. That would make self-driving worth it, more than worth it.

Otherwise this is good only because it shows the Renault merger was unneeded. They can get what they need for the mass market cars (which Alfa is not) elsewhere at less corporate cost.
Agreed 100%.

P.S Your posts are epic, keep them coming and thank you taking the time to spread smiles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts