Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
way below targets/expectations though.
those projections might have been optimistic goals for press purposes etc, but it's working against them now that they are not close to being met.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
way below targets/expectations though.
those projections might have been optimistic goals for press purposes etc, but it's working against them now that they are not close to being met.

You are right-- One of the things I've noticed is that the market is very slow to embrace anything 'new' until it's been well-proven in the marketplace, a long, slow slog. The overwhelming flood of information (both helpful and bs) on the www and social media has really changed consumer behavior. Our friends at VW have seriously blown credibility and added skepticism to traditional manufacturers. Also I do believe there is a skepticism about the classic brands and especially have noticed a counterculture that rejects anything 'old' or 'traditional' - example the drooling over Musk and Tesla- and this attitude is fueled by the 'fake media' filling a deep, dark hole of electronic media desperate to find a snarky angle (even if it is not factual or even objective).

It does seem that when things are finally proven the numbers tick up but it's a seriously hard process to establish credibility when the whole world is so emotionally reactive. Disrupting an established market (BMW, Audi, Apple and ego-brands) is a tough thing to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The magic number is... drum roll please... February 2018... 695 Stelvios - YTD 1383.

Giulia (all versions): 853 - YTD 1801.
4C: 20 - YTD 32

The afterglow from COTY only lasts so long... time is of the essence.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
yeah, and that stupid topgear bit wasn't much help - but the press intros on the stelvio quad in texas are positive, FCA is figuring out the exhaust routing for the quad hitch, and the sooner they get me my quad so I can rave about it, the sooner their sales will go up.

you need a lot of positive press to make everyone see that clarkson comedy routine for what it was.
the positive press for each model benefits the entire line - as does anything negative.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
you need a lot of positive press to make everyone see that clarkson comedy routine for what it was.
the positive press for each model benefits the entire line - as does anything negative.
I had several friends ask me if I'd seen it (to which I replied "Of course!"), they all understood that the Stelvio Q didn't have a hitch available, and that on the actual tests that matter it really did win the day, so while it sure wasn't the rave review that we probably hoped it would be, it wasn't perceived by anyone I know as a negative review at all (unless you want to tow something), it was actually somewhat positive.

Honestly I think the limp mode fault on the dirt circuit was the only part that really came off bad.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
limp mode to prevent drivetrain overheating caused by using street tires in a foot of loose dirt, I see that as a positive.
what people may have been interested in was how did the three stack up against the bmw, with the same driver.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me to watch these yahoos abuse such beautiful cars. I don't think I could ever be a fan of the snarkiness. It's downright irritating.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It was a pretty typical episode for them. They've predetermined that SUV's are useless and unnecessary so they design "tests" with the sole purpose of making them look that way.

·
Registered
536 Posts
clarkson was entertaining long ago, he's well past expiration date, and he believes all the hype surrounding him,not a fan.

Clarkson is a pompous ass. I seethe every time he talks, so I can't watch. The best thing BBC did was fire him for being abusive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts