Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving..down the road, all of a sudden this gorgeous brand new (I think) anodized blue Giulia pulls off a side street and is next to me.

For almost 4 blocks, three stop lights..we drove next to each other.

Never said hi. Did make eye contact about 4 times, with an apologetic look.

The entier time both of us were staring at the others car...the looks came when we weren't paying attention to the road and would start drifting toward the other....馃ぃ馃ぃ

so...to sum up Alfa owners don't wave at other Alfa drivers because we are too busy checking out thier car on the rare instance we see another Alfa on the road. Gotta love it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only communication between me and this Giulia driver..was...the "Oh ****! I'm sorry." look.

I have waved a few times but not returned. Most of the time its car in the other direction and we pass to fast to do much really.

My favorite times have been the few times I've been out for a drive on a twisty road and a Stelvio or Guilia and myself pass each other mid corner going opposite directions..both going faster then the sign says to go......

Neither one of us can ever wave or anything..but I think both of are laughing,.thinking.."Cool! An Alfa! They were having fun!!"

Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
I'm driving..down the road, all of a sudden this gorgeous brand new (I think) anodized blue Giulia pulls off a side street and is next to me.

The entier time both of us were staring at the others car...the looks came when we weren't paying attention to the road and would start drifting toward the other....馃ぃ馃ぃ

so...to sum up Alfa owners don't wave at other Alfa drivers because we are too busy checking out thier car on the rare instance we see another Alfa on the road. Gotta love it.
I've so rarely seen another Stelvio driving around that I probably would just stare too.

What always impresses me, although it's maybe slightly cringy, is the Corvette wave. When I'm driving around in my Grand Sport, It's damn near 100% compliance.

Corvette people are a whole different barrel of fish. Absolute fanatics. Aside from the predictable boomer stereotypes people throw around, they're mostly pretty nice folks, (once you get past the white New Balance shoes and jorts).

Registered
Here in Wisconsin alfa sightings are rare. For the most part there's good recognition and acknowledgement in the form of high beam flashes or waves.

I always hold up a peace sign in recognition of the unmistakable Alfa Romeo grill (trefoil).

One time I was crossing the street on foot right in front of a Giulia...and I happen to have on an AR t-shirt.
I stopped right in front of the car and got two thumbs up.

I have noticed that women alfa drivers tend to not trade waves or high beam flashes.

Registered

Sounds about right.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the Corvette weren't forced to be sold out of Chevy dealerships.....it would be considered one of the best sports cars ever made. Isn't perfect, but the imperfections are what make it. Sort of like an American Alfa.

Hardcore Vette people are generally cool people.

Registered
Back in the 60's I bought a used 3 yr old Citroen ID19 from a Dodge dealer. I was told by another Citroen owner who lived near me, that it was customary to honk when passing another Citroen. Sure enough whenever I passed a Citroen, I honked and always got a honk back. With the Alfa, I get mostly blank stares straight ahead even at traffic stops, no acknowledgement whatsoever..

Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
Back in the 60's I bought a used 3 yr old Citroen ID19 from a Dodge dealer. I was told by another Citroen owner who lived near me, that it was customary to honk when passing another Citroen. Sure enough whenever I passed a Citroen, I honked and always got a honk back. With the Alfa, I get mostly blank stares straight ahead even at traffic stops, no acknowledgement whatsoever..
Are you honking or waving?

Registered
We certainly don't wave to each other on the roads....BUT couple days ago, as I was waiting at the light with my music on drifting away in doldrum, I hear the horn blasting from behind in bursts. I looked up on my mirror and I see the V and this time the driver and the passenger stuck their head out the window and start screaming "nice car !" I laughed and held up my coffee. Love that inhibition from young kids. Everyday from that poin on, I keep looking back for that same Stelvio. Damn I'm gettin old!!!!

Registered
Getting old, yeah in the old days Alfa people always flashed their lights, honked the horn or waved. When I drive the old cars or even the 4C, I don鈥檛 think Stelvio and Guilia owners know what they are. But I still honk and wave. Building the community one driver at a time.

Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
If the Corvette weren't forced to be sold out of Chevy dealerships.....it would be considered one of the best sports cars ever made. Isn't perfect, but the imperfections are what make it. Sort of like an American Alfa.

Hardcore Vette people are generally cool people.
Agreed. Some are rather petty, though. I had a lot of older guys in base C6s refuse to wave af me, and glared instead, when I waved at them. Maybe they didn't get the memo, maybe they were just mad some kid in his 20s was in a z06, but fellow z06 owners always waved, so...

Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
Getting old, yeah in the old days Alfa people always flashed their lights, honked the horn or waved. When I drive the old cars or even the 4C, I don鈥檛 think Stelvio and Guilia owners know what they are. But I still honk and wave. Building the community one driver at a time.
4C are beautiful cars. Very purpose driven and niche. Like Italian take on a Viper, in its own way.

Registered
As a past wrangler owner, i was used to the Jeep wave, and on bikes I wave too, so was kind of curious what my Stelvio experience would be. Admittedly as a new owner and with the crap weather we've had and working from home, I haven't been driving much, so I have yet to encounter an Alfa oncoming towards me in the daylight.

As for those that were going the same direction as me, I have seen one white Gulia (well I've seen two but suspect it's the same one) and on the occurrence I know they saw me, they wanted to race up the hill near me.

Registered
I tried waving at the two - yes two Stelvios - that I passed headed in the opposite direction as I drove to work today, but I got no response. I think I will try the 鈥榁鈥 (aka peace) sign next time. It鈥檚 rare to see another AR in my town, but lately there has been an increase in sightings. Maybe the V will catch on.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts