Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
To be honest, just looking at the photos alone made me pick the Stelvio haha. But... I think I may actually prefer the "gauge cluster" from the Q5 better. Like the whole nav thing going on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Overall, the Stelvio is the better vehicle with its design language and performance. Just the superb fit and finish has won me over. But one thing I do like about the Q5 is that full screen gauge cluster that can display various things.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Who comes out a winner for your dollars is going to be a different story since that largely depends on what you as an owner wants.

Personally for me the Stelvio is unmatched. Had my run with luxurious but not so sporty Audis like the Q5, now I want to go back to my roots of pure FUN. First car was a E46 M3, so you can already get an idea of where i'm coming from.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who comes out a winner for your dollars is going to be a different story since that largely depends on what you as an owner wants.

Personally for me the Stelvio is unmatched. Had my run with luxurious but not so sporty Audis like the Q5, now I want to go back to my roots of pure FUN. First car was a E46 M3, so you can already get an idea of where i'm coming from.
Yes of course I agree. The main reason I am considering buying a SUV is that Stelvio exists.But having favourable reviews will help the brand sell. A lot of people in the market for a car do take car reviews very seriously.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Favorable reviews always help the brand and sales in a whole and especially when it comes to common comparisons people will be making. More sales for the Stelvio means more years for us to enjoy and see future iterations of it. That's winning to me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes of course I agree. The main reason I am considering buying a SUV is that Stelvio exists.But having favourable reviews will help the brand sell. A lot of people in the market for a car do take car reviews very seriously.
It sure will and it will happen with the first round or reviews that Alfa Romeo is facilitating.

Last thing reviewers want is to be dropped from a car makers list of journalists.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's the part which is something that people need to keep in mind. Reviews are typically always going to be biased and favorable because they have to be to keep the manufacturers happy. Really won't know much until you get in for yourself and take it on a decent test drive and put it through it's paces.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are some publications that manufacturers won't drop becasue of the huge following they have. Those are the ones we can count on for a somewhat unbiased review. Kelley Blue Book is one and Car And Driver is another.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Always liked car&driver. I used to really like LeftLane News but they're posts seem to be getting quite wonky so I kind of gave up checking them out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Motor Trend is a solid publication especially since they do real testing on the track, and even dyno. Not all publications are willing to facilitate that and go that indepth but they do.

However the Stelvio is a unique product, odds are we'll see more testing of this from individuals than with others in the segment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are some publications that manufacturers won't drop becasue of the huge following they have. Those are the ones we can count on for a somewhat unbiased review. Kelley Blue Book is one and Car And Driver is another.
They won't drop them, but they might buy less advertising, the writers know this. Automotive Journalism is a business.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Some more Q5 vs. Stelvio (sort of a part 1, as its a Q5 review that mentions and compares the Stelvio and refers to an upcoming review of the Stelvio):

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/12/a-sea-of-calm-behind-the-wheel-the-2018-audi-q5-reviewed/?comments=1

I began driving the Q5 the day after wrapping up a week with the new Alfa Romeo Stelvio, and the contrast between the two vehicles couldn’t be more pronounced. You’ll be able to read—and watch—my take on that SUV next week, but briefly, the times when the Stelvio felt like a performance sedan in the body of a crossover—giving me a strong sense of connection with the road—the Q5 felt like it distanced me from what was going on around me. And that’s not entirely a bad thing.

The Q5 doesn’t offer an exhilarating ride—the Stelvio is as close as I’ve come to that feeling behind the wheel of a crossover—but it’s an immensely satisfying ride.

That said, the engine responds when summoned, even if it’s not nearly as quick as that of the Stelvio.

The newly announced 2019 Infiniti QX50 looks interesting.

I tried to dive the Acura MDX Sport Hybrid back to back with the Stelvio, but the dealer had sold their remaining 2017, and the 2018s aren't due for a while. Yes, different cars, but for the utility of a bigger vehicle, the MDX Sport Hybrid drove very well.

I would love to see Acura put the 3 electric motors (and torque vectoring) in an new RDX, along with a twin scroll turbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts