Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has just over 1K miles now. Pondering doing an oil change to get rid of anything in it from the break-in. When have folks done their first change? I'm sure as hell not waiting till 10K miles.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
322 Posts
Manufacturer doesn't require one...nothing wrong with you having an indy do one for you and don't reset the counter. First oil change is free, so let them make it at the programmed schedule. You could to it yourself, it is pretty easy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The first and all the rest ....on 6000miles. If you want healthy engine. Changing the first oil too early probably will not have the desired effect on engine break in period. There are microscopic metal particles in the oil which are playing important role in breaking in period for the engine, as they literally fine polish .....That is at least what I think, although changing it at 1000 and then at 6000 intervals will not harm also. Of course if you have the first oil for one year, change it ,whatever the miles are.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the complementary first oil change isn't till 10K and I'm not waiting that long. I don't know if they'd do it earlier if I asked them.

I'll be DIYing my oil changes so can do it whenever I decide. Typically you want to do an early change to remove the metal particles from the bearings breaking-in. At least that's been what I've been told by people more knowledgeable than me and seen/read in various forums. That's mostly for race motors, though, and maybe not as big a deal for a street car. Normally you wouldn't use synthetic during break-in as well.

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
165 Posts
I dunno if Italian cars are the same as Italian bikes when it comes to engine break-in philosophy, but Ducati's and Aprilias break-in dirty. Lots of sparkle motion in the 1st oil change. BMW's and KTM's are much cleaner.

It may be a philosphy of having the engine do the final machining of the various parts vs. beforehand. I'm not sure if the sparkle is coming more from the engine, gearbox or clutch (or all three) on the bikes as they all swim in the same oil, so maybe the auto's are cleaner. I'll do the 1st change myself at 3500ish and see what it looks like on mine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe the Italian bikes have tighter clearances and get a little more initial wear. I think I'll do a change around 2K just cause I'm curious to see what it looks like. I'm likely going to be on a once a year change schedule as I don't drive a whole lot during the week and likely won't even put 5K miles on it in a year.

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
165 Posts
Bikes with wet clutches always have clutch debris in the oil. Comparing a bikes oil change requirements with a cars is ridiculous.
No doubt. My only point was the Italian bikes are way dirtier than most other marques (also with wet clutches) on the first change.

You never answered my question in another thread if you knew Henry Ashjian?

·
Registered
54 Posts
No, I imagine he worked in Research, I worked in Development. I think I was there before him, too.

My MX bikes have shiny flecks in the oil every oil change. Normal and not concerning.

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
165 Posts
No, I imagine he worked in Research, I worked in Development. I think I was there before him, too.
He was the lead formulator and research chemist for all the Mobil 1 and Jet Oil products. He was the inventor/godfather of those products starting in the late 1970's thru his retirement in the 2000's. I worked in manufacturing during the 90's and was responsible for making all the AN and ester basestocks for those oils.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts