Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I didn't get a flat....I was wondering how many of you have given any thought as to what you would do if you have a flat. I had planned to get the compact spare but didn't, and so far have not been able to get the part numbers for the pieces needed to add one to my Stelvio. I do have the inflator, but the few times I have gotten a flat in the past, the damage was such that the goo would not have repaired it, and the tire needed to be replaced. Although I assume the dealer would stock replacement tires, I have checked with several tire places, and they do not have replacement tires in stock. (I have a Ti Sport with non run flats). Getting a tire would take from 1 to 5 days.

So do I:

A). Continue to try to get compact spare parts...

B). Buy a full size tire and rim. ( 20" rim)

C). Do nothing and hope the inflator works.

Your thoughts? What is your plan?

-Ray

·
Registered
32 Posts
My plan is to do nothing and hope the inflator works - not sure it's a great plan, but I'm lazy. I thought they all had run flat tires - that's not the case?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hope the inflator works. Call roadside if needed.

I wouldn’t want to change a tire with lug bolts on the side of a highway and any time I get a flat I’m already losing the rest of the day even if I have a spare.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My plan is to do nothing and hope the inflator works - not sure it's a great plan, but I'm lazy. I thought they all had run flat tires - that's not the case?
I suggest you check - mine does not have runflats, and when I asked at the dealer, they said not all have them.

Ray

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I suggest you check - mine does not have runflats, and when I asked at the dealer, they said not all have them.

Ray

When we purchased, we were told the 19" wheels with the round opening theme are run flats. For the other wheel styles, standard tires are used (not run flat) so we intentionally opted for the 20" wheels to provide more options and more economical replacement when it came time for replacements since we intend to keep the car and I will want to source tires locally.

Correct me if I'm wrong but: Run flats, when punctured or damaged, must be replaced (can't be plugged) and they are much more expensive/can't shop competitively the same way.

·
Registered
536 Posts
tire inflator. It would seem lots of cars use this system.

I think someone on here looked at the cost of ordered the compact spare and it was some obscene amount of money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When we purchased, we were told the 19" wheels with the round opening theme are run flats. For the other wheel styles, standard tires are used (not run flat) so we intentionally opted for the 20" wheels to provide more options and more economical replacement when it came time for replacements since we intend to keep the car and I will want to source tires locally.

Correct me if I'm wrong but: Run flats, when punctured or damaged, must be replaced (can't be plugged) and they are much more expensive/can't shop competitively the same way.
Interesting as I was told by the dealer there was a mix and it didn't matter what the size was. I wanted non run flats as non run flats usually give a better ride due to thinner sidewall and lower weight.

Typically run flats have to be replaced due to heat damage to the tire resulting from driving with no air in them. When I priced replacement tires, the run flats were actually cheaper than the same non run flat tire. The big tire places can get both run flats and non run flats.

Ray

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Run Flats may solve one problem but create another. They are heavy and handle like cra!! The spare is the slickest solution I have had yet. If you are in a metropolitan area, just call. If you go to no man's land as I do, have a spare.

BTW a runflat with a nail in tread is repairable only if the flat tire was immediately detected and you did not drive on it. After you drive an RFT 50 miles you would de3finitely not want to repair it.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
"correct me if I'm wrong"

"only if the flat was immediately detected"

that's pretty much it - but a typical puncture in the tread is a slow leak and your dash will tell you when it is low - well before it is out of air.
if you have an inflator, keep it filled until you can get to a tire shop, get a plug and you are good.
keep a plug kit in your trunk and you are set.
I've had run flats on a bmw for ten years, and was leary at first. now I think they are a good thing.
no, they don't handle like crap - maybe not the best choice for fastest lap, but fine for real driving.

a spare is a good (best) thing to have - but just because a run flat can get you somewhere is no reason to destroy it unnecessarily.

·
Registered
39 Posts

We have 19" with the round opening and ours are not run flats. Our salesman told us that all Stelvios have run flats, which is not true.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
"correct me if I'm wrong"

"only if the flat was immediately detected"

that's pretty much it - but a typical puncture in the tread is a slow leak and your dash will tell you when it is low - well before it is out of air.
if you have an inflator, keep it filled until you can get to a tire shop, get a plug and you are good.
keep a plug kit in your trunk and you are set.
I've had run flats on a bmw for ten years, and was leary at first. now I think they are a good thing.
no, they don't handle like crap - maybe not the best choice for fastest lap, but fine for real driving.

a spare is a good (best) thing to have - but just because a run flat can get you somewhere is no reason to destroy it unnecessarily.

The difference between the Bridgestone RFTs and my other tire non RFT (NO spec!) tires on my X5's was significant especially going over expansion joints etc. The additional unsprung weight is 2-4lbs/tire. They were Michelin Latitude Ice and handled as well lso. Quieter, smoother, better turn in. Go figure and they were M&S severe duty rated.
I agree that a plug kit is very handy!! Always have one in my track tool box for Evora. You make a VERY good point about the slow leak phenomena that TPMS sensors pick up. Unfortunately, my only flats recently have been the spontaneous loss of air type, pipe thru sidewall .....My problem is the 375 mile trip, a flat that is unrepairable can really screw things up v a spare that gets you there.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
sidewall punctures - you are done, unless you have a spare.
with the car (new Alfa or our then new bmw) there's no room for a spare, so I was very nervous about that and run flats, and the all seasons it came with. after ten years, I don't have issues with them at all.
although I haven't had to destroy any because it's so easy to catch it before there is a problem, I've come to accept that under certain circumstances it would be ok to destroy one to get from nowhere to somewhere - especially for the wife.
I think the available space is too small for a suitable Q spare, so rather expect to replace the super sticky pirellis fairly early with all season run flats - and I doubt the handling issue will be an issue for ant street speeds, but on the Q the ride issue might be an issue. we shall see.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well I got a flat today!....I went to pick up my kid from school and saw an empty parking spot near...I rushed to get in on the turn and missed the curb which I flew over and heard a loud “pop”....didn’t think anything of it as I know nothing about cars was very excited I got the spot.....When I returned with my kid I heard a strange noise which turned out to be air wheezing out of my tire which was almost flat!!!

I called everyone I could possibly think of and got mixed suggestions: some said drive on a flat slowly some sad Do nOT u will ruin the rim....so I decided to call hb (who Is the last person I wanted to know about this - and still haven’t admitted to how this happened)

Long story short I left the car where it was and later when I came back with hb he tried inflating the tire with portable hand held inflator and told me Its def my fault no nail could have done this as it’s a sidewall puncture- I played stupid and haven’t admitted to anything.....

we took my stelvio to 3 closest tire places (stopping to inflate air at every gas station one the way) and no one had a spare that would fit not to mention tires for my car...one place said they can get the new tire by tomm so we left the car with them and took an Uber home - no clue of the cost it is what it is they will call tom and I will keep u guys posted.

Oh and I have 19” all weather tires by continental (I am assuming it’s standard)

Here is a picture of anyone cares...
It went from 33psi to 13psi in the matter of 4-5mins every single time we filled it with air- I wished I had a spare

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
So sorry you have to deal with this- if you were closer I'd have come to help myself. Best is get it to the dealer and see I'd they have a stock tire to swap out. Good luck and so sorry to see you stressed out!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got a flat today!....I went to pick up my kid from school and saw an empty parking spot near...I rushed to get in on the turn and missed the curb which I flew over and heard a loud “pop”....didn’t think anything of it as I know nothing about cars was very excited I got the spot.....When I returned with my kid I heard a strange noise which turned out to be air wheezing out of my tire which was almost flat!!!

I called everyone I could possibly think of and got mixed suggestions: some said drive on a flat slowly some sad Do nOT u will ruin the rim....so I decided to call hb (who Is the last person I wanted to know about this - and still haven’t admitted to how this happened)

Long story short I left the car where it was and later when I came back with hb he tried inflating the tire with portable hand held inflator and told me Its def my fault no nail could have done this as it’s a sidewall puncture- I played stupid and haven’t admitted to anything.....

we took my stelvio to 3 closest tire places (stopping to inflate air at every gas station one the way) and no one had a spare that would fit not to mention tires for my car...one place said they can get the new tire by tomm so we left the car with them and took an Uber home - no clue of the cost it is what it is they will call tom and I will keep u guys posted.

Oh and I have 19” all weather tires by continental (I am assuming it’s standard)

Here is a picture of anyone cares...
It went from 33psi to 13psi in the matter of 4-5mins every single time we filled it with air- I wished I had a spare
This is exactly my reason for starting this thread - to have a plan in place if/when a flat happens, particularly one that can't be fixed by the inflator kit.

If anyone has the part numbers for the parts needed for the compact spare, that would be great. Also, I the part numbers for the different full size rims?

Ray

·
Registered
174 Posts
So sorry you have to deal with this- if you were closer I'd have come to help myself. Best is get it to the dealer and see I'd they have a stock tire to swap out. Good luck and so sorry to see you stressed out!
Thank u for ur kind words! Dealer is over an hr always from me, unfortunately I would have never made it there without ruining the rim plus my dealership is at chaos (changing management) I still haven’t gotten my recall work done due to their incompetence

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank u for ur kind words! Dealer is over an hr always from me, unfortunately I would have never made it there without ruining the rim plus my dealership is at chaos (changing management) I still haven’t gotten my recall work done due to their incompetence
I hope things work out and you're able to get a replacement tire without much difficulty.

Too many dealers seem to be going through big changes, which only complicates things. The local dealer I started at just sold the Alfa Romeo portion of the dealership to another local dealer. We're all hoping it will be better as it will be an Alfa/Maserati dealer now.

Ray

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thank u Ray, I hope so too...I will keep all of u posted specially about the price I will have to pay...if it’s anywhere in a $200-300 range I will prob order another one to keep for emergencies like this.

Yes I can see the down side of owning an uncommon car now. But despite all the inconvenience and difficulties (in my area at least)hard to get parts, unstable dealership situations etc...I still love my Stelvio

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
are the continentals run flats? it should say SSR on the sidewall (other manufacturers may use RF, RFT, or ROF).
if so, make sure they replace it with same.
and if so, that is the point of them - in your situation, with sidewall damage the tire is done, but with a run flat you could have driven without worries.

·
Registered
174 Posts
are the continentals run flats? it should say SSR on the sidewall (other manufacturers may use RF, RFT, or ROF).
if so, make sure they replace it with same.
and if so, that is the point of them - in your situation, with sidewall damage the tire is done, but with a run flat you could have driven without worries.
Nope not run flat I wish ...235/55R19 the most delicate and I am assuming the cheapest? So hopefully won’t be too much to replace. At this point I just want my car back waiting for a call from a tire place...tik tak

1 - 20 of 36 Posts