Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just get one from tire rack. You'll have it overnight. Bring to tire place to install Cost is about $205

·
Registered
429 Posts
are the continentals run flats? it should say SSR on the sidewall (other manufacturers may use RF, RFT, or ROF).
if so, make sure they replace it with same.
and if so, that is the point of them - in your situation, with sidewall damage the tire is done, but with a run flat you could have driven without worries.
Nope not run flat I wish ...235/55R19 the most delicate and I am assuming the cheapest? So hopefully won’t be too much to replace. At this point I just want my car back waiting for a call from a tire place...tik tak
So since you don’t know about cars in general this is a good chance to give you a primer on tires/wheels. It’s always a good idea to know as much about a capital expenditure like a car as possible.

Tire size is standardized so 235/55R19 tells you a lot about the tire. 235 is the width in mm, 55 is the profile which is a ratio of the width as a percentage and is the height of the sidewall (129 mm/5” or so in this case). R19 tells us the nominal wheel size in inches.

235/55R19 isn’t a super common size but most good tire shops should be able to get you a replacement overnight (same day if their warehouse is local). The biggest issue you’ll have is matching the Continentals on the car. The Crosscontact EX is technically a performance tire (it isn’t in my opinion but that’s how it’s sold) so might not be readily available.

When it comes to tires though, tirerack.com is a really good resource for getting replacements quickly and inexpensively.

·
Registered
174 Posts
are the continentals run flats? it should say SSR on the sidewall (other manufacturers may use RF, RFT, or ROF).
if so, make sure they replace it with same.
and if so, that is the point of them - in your situation, with sidewall damage the tire is done, but with a run flat you could have driven without worries.
Nope not run flat I wish ...235/55R19 the most delicate and I am assuming the cheapest? So hopefully won’t be too much to replace. At this point I just want my car back waiting for a call from a tire place...tik tak
So since you don’t know about cars in general this is a good chance to give you a primer on tires/wheels. It’s always a good idea to know as much about a capital expenditure like a car as possible.

Tire size is standardized so 235/55R19 tells you a lot about the tire. 235 is the width in mm, 55 is the profile which is a ratio of the width as a percentage and is the height of the sidewall (129 mm/5” or so in this case). R19 tells us the nominal wheel size in inches.

235/55R19 isn’t a super common size but most good tire shops should be able to get you a replacement overnight (same day if their warehouse is local). The biggest issue you’ll have is matching the Continentals on the car. The Crosscontact EX is technically a performance tire (it isn’t in my opinion but that’s how it’s sold) so might not be readily available.

When it comes to tires though, tirerack.com is a really good resource for getting replacements quickly and inexpensively.

Thank u for elaborating: I called my tire place and was told in fact they did order my tire from tirerack.com - however the delivery haven’t come in yet. I was just looking at their inventory and was wondering how did they know which one to get? U Couldn’t have explained it better- now I wonder what they will charge me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Typically tire rack’s price plus 5-10% materials and $30-40 for labor in my experience. Mounting a tire isn’t time consuming so much as it requires some specialty tools and practice.

Crosscontact LX (not EX, I can’t type on mobile) are a $205 tire. Probably $250-275 out the door. At least it’s a common enough tire size to not be a hassle. Good luck with it, better a low speed sidewall incident than blowing a tire at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
RAO-3, Ray, excellent thread here and also at GiuliaForum.com.

My one year old base Giulia Q4 has Bridgestone 225/45R18 run flat tires. I believe they are at least second generation RFT's. They came with my sports optional packages. I am retired and my Giulia is a fair weather girl, who sleep sleeps in the garage. No driving in rain, snow or on dirt roads for hiking or camping. That's what our 16 yr old Accord is for! (Hand washing only, synthetic wax and that's why she looks brand new). I am quite impressed and perfectly happy with these tires. I occasionally put her thru the paces with the paddle shifters including many tight hairpin curves near Mt Rainier. The tires along with the base suspension for me are a great match for my driving. Excellent cornering and quite smooth over normal light expansion strips, etc. A great compromise for precise handling and smooth ride IMO.

I have a slight concern with the RFT's. If I'm within the 50 mile distance I'm would feel fine. I only worry about a maybe occasional trip to Easterm Washington, Montana, BC, etc. and way past 50 miles and a decent tire shop. That's why I'm considering a Tire Repair Kit like below (Thanks to AlfaCrisis at the Giulia Forum).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X15JJ4F/?coliid=I1S2QI7MPL445Z&colid=3JP8SYSI3RQAK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E635PGA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01E635PGA&pd_rd_wg=pHjCY&pd_rd_r=G8MV69CCV6GK2NK8MCMW&pd_rd_w=cB2fT

Any thoughts appreciated. I of course don't have a jack and any way at the side of the road, etc. to jack up the car. Presuming the nail/screw is in the tread and not sidewall damage, should I be able to lie on the ground and move the car slightly so I can easily get the puncture low to the ground to repair it with one of these kits. I know I can lie down OK, but getting back up might be a problem at my advanced age! ... :D

Chuck

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
yes, you can plug a tire without jacking it up - but depending on where the puncture is it could be difficult to reach.
yes, you can move the car so it's not as difficult.

and like bklynG, you can keep inflating it with a portable if you are unable to install the plug. overfill, drive, overfill, repeat as necessary. driving without air or low air is what destroys the tire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks lost1750GTV, I do have a 12v portable tire inflator in my trunk. If my wife is not with me who the heck is going to help me back up onto my feet? You think I'm kidding? :D :D :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
RAO-3, Ray, excellent thread here and also at GiuliaForum.com.

My one year old base Giulia Q4 has Bridgestone 225/45R18 run flat tires. I believe they are at least second generation RFT's. They came with my sports optional packages. I am retired and my Giulia is a fair weather girl, who sleep sleeps in the garage. No driving in rain, snow or on dirt roads for hiking or camping. That's what our 16 yr old Accord is for! (Hand washing only, synthetic wax and that's why she looks brand new). I am quite impressed and perfectly happy with these tires. I occasionally put her thru the paces with the paddle shifters including many tight hairpin curves near Mt Rainier. The tires along with the base suspension for me are a great match for my driving. Excellent cornering and quite smooth over normal light expansion strips, etc. A great compromise for precise handling and smooth ride IMO.

I have a slight concern with the RFT's. If I'm within the 50 mile distance I'm would feel fine. I only worry about a maybe occasional trip to Easterm Washington, Montana, BC, etc. and way past 50 miles and a decent tire shop. That's why I'm considering a Tire Repair Kit like below (Thanks to AlfaCrisis at the Giulia Forum).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X15JJ4F/?coliid=I1S2QI7MPL445Z&colid=3JP8SYSI3RQAK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E635PGA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01E635PGA&pd_rd_wg=pHjCY&pd_rd_r=G8MV69CCV6GK2NK8MCMW&pd_rd_w=cB2fT

Any thoughts appreciated. I of course don't have a jack and any way at the side of the road, etc. to jack up the car. Presuming the nail/screw is in the tread and not sidewall damage, should I be able to lie on the ground and move the car slightly so I can easily get the puncture low to the ground to repair it with one of these kits. I know I can lie down OK, but getting back up might be a problem at my advanced age! ... :D

Chuck
Those of us without the spare have the same situation as you - only an inflator kit with the slime. I bought an inexpensive tire repair kit at Advanced Auto, which looks to contain many of the same parts as the kits in your links, but it was about $15. I do plan to order the kit that AlfaCrisis posted on the Giulia forum at stopngo.com as that kit may be easier to get a plug to hold. Make sure you also have a pair of pliers to pull out the nail/screw. Unfortunately with any of these kits, one will have to drive the car to expose the screw in the small area left between the bottom of the car and the ground; definitely on your side or back. I'm sure it will be raining too!

I am seriously considering the compact spare or keeping a full size spare at home as an alternative.

Ray

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok so for those of u who followed: the new tire costed $225 with installation which isn’t so bad after all- they ordered it from tire rack so their profit wasn’t huge. Glad to have my car back will be extra careful now concidering how easy it is to get a flat:((

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok so for those of u who followed: the new tire costed $225 with installation which isn’t so bad after all- they ordered it from tire rack so their profit wasn’t huge. Glad to have my car back will be extra careful now concidering how easy it is to get a flat:((
Glad to hear all is good and you're back on the road!

Ray

·
Registered
377 Posts
flat tire solution?

Well I got a flat today!....I went to pick up my kid from school and saw an empty parking spot near...I rushed to get in on the turn and missed the curb which I flew over and heard a loud “pop”....didn’t think anything of it as I know nothing about cars was very excited I got the spot.....When I returned with my kid I heard a strange noise which turned out to be air wheezing out of my tire which was almost flat!!!

I called everyone I could possibly think of and got mixed suggestions: some said drive on a flat slowly some sad Do nOT u will ruin the rim....so I decided to call hb (who Is the last person I wanted to know about this - and still haven’t admitted to how this happened)

Long story short I left the car where it was and later when I came back with hb he tried inflating the tire with portable hand held inflator and told me Its def my fault no nail could have done this as it’s a sidewall puncture- I played stupid and haven’t admitted to anything.....

we took my stelvio to 3 closest tire places (stopping to inflate air at every gas station one the way) and no one had a spare that would fit not to mention tires for my car...one place said they can get the new tire by tomm so we left the car with them and took an Uber home - no clue of the cost it is what it is they will call tom and I will keep u guys posted.

Oh and I have 19” all weather tires by continental (I am assuming it’s standard)

Here is a picture of anyone cares...
It went from 33psi to 13psi in the matter of 4-5mins every single time we filled it with air- I wished I had a spare
Hey fellow owners,

Assuming your Stelvio gets a customary flat tire via a nail or similar object on the tread, has anyone tried the inflator and sealer in a can?

See photo...

I have one stashed in the back but I'm not sure how good of a fix this might be when the time comes.

Does anyone have first-hand experience using this product or similar?

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Run Flats

I believe only the base 18" tires are fun flats. (as listed on window sticker) I have the run flats on 18" wheels with no tire repair kit in trunk. Ride quality is similar to the 19" wheel car I also considered buying. Anyone else have any experience with the 18" run flats? I still have some concerns if I have an issue on a long trip.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts