Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current car is a flawless '08 C6 Corvette ZO6 that I bought new. It's a toy with only 41,000 miles in just over ten years. I have absolutely no reason to buy a new vehicle, but then, really; who does? My two choices are a '19 Camaro ZL1 or a '19 Stelvio Quadrifoglio, and I'm leaning towards giving up some performance to get the more functional Alfa. I'm an old Category 2 road cyclist, and my Corvette will swallow a bicycle, where the Camaro won't. Still, a 1/4-mile of 11.4 @ 127 mph is tempting.

My two concerns with the Stelvio are that the nearest dealer is in Henderson, Nevada, 125 miles away (I'm near St. George, Utah), and concerns over reliability. After the '19 model comes out, the car should have enough history to indicate a trend. I'll settle for "average" reliability. The ZO6, in its 41,000 miles, had no repairs other than an alignment, seven oil changes, and more money spent on tires than gasoline; over $10,000 for five sets. :eek Not a single glitch or rattle.

Personal crap: Ex-professional drummer who played in three bands with million sellers, and played jazz, rock, studio. After that, I spent 32 years in the audio industry, some as a director at Harman, and I've had over 100 audio and home theater articles published; many at Audioholics. I stopped racing bikes 10 years ago, but I still ride for fitness, with over 212,000 miles since 1983. I'm retired, and fighting to stay fit and wake up tomorrow morning. I'd be interested to hear what you bastages are into, and if we have common hobbies/professions.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
A very complete presentation.
Excuse for my customized English, I’m Italian.
Welcome aboard, this community is a great global example of how stelvio is now everywhere.
I’m a IT guy, security manager for a super premium brand in Italy with a big passion for extreme car adventure.
Ok, i’m Crazy for cars and travels and a basic photographer

That’s all

Ciao

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I read it three times to find the question.
answer, I do.
sounds like you are happy with the vette, and chevy reliability.
you could always carry a bike and a case of water in case you had to ride 62.5 miles in either direction on a hot day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Paul, welcome! I'm over here from the Giulia sister forum.

I've been a very frugal buyer for most of my 73 years including 51 years in audio/HT. Tom Andry and others introduced me about 10 years ago to Emotiva. I've been so happy with their Reference speakers, XPA-5, new XMC-1, etc at a bargain price. Super best buys. Following my best buy mind set I bought my 2017 Base Giulia Q4 (AWD), MSRP of $44.8k in June 2017 with sports inside and outside for 38.2k out the door. Only several minor glitches solved with software upgrades (zero mechanical issues). Since then she runs and handles flawlessly. The paddle shifters are to die for. I think the brand new mostly robotic factory will make the 2019 very dependable.

I'm slightly surprised (no offense) that you are down to these two rather different cars on your short list. Still have the thrill of that Z06 on the brain? :D I'm presuming maybe you haven't test driven them, at least the 2018 models. The Stelvio (AWD) is only 0.1 seconds slower 0-60 per Alfa than the 2018 Camero ZL1's of 3.5 seconds. Both the Afla Stelvio Quad and Giulia Quad have the record fastest times for their class at the Nürburgring test track in Germany. I think you might be amazed at the performance of the Stelvio. I would also recommend putting on your test drive menu, the Giulia Quad. I think your short list will be the two Alfa's. We be looking forward to your future posts.

Chuck :smile

Stelvio Quad, Motor Trend: 0-60, 3.3 seconds! --- 1/4 mile, 11.8 seconds at 116.1 mph. This is a two-ton luxury SUV. It has no business being this quick.

Car and Driver: The new 505-hp Stelvio Quadrifoglio, with Alfa factory driver Fabio Francia at the wheel, recently seared the writhing 12.9-mile ribbon draped across the Eifel mountains in 7:51.7. It was the fastest-ever lap for a production SUV and beat the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S’s best effort by eight seconds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Paul, Marzio, Julia, lost: I want to be just like you guys when I grow up! My trajectory is a little more traditional where I run a small corporate manufacturing plant and tripped over the 'new' Alfa shopping for a new Grand Cherokee. Stelvio is the perfect compromise of sport, great handling, space (we have a granddaughter we are raising), getting our dogs in, my bike, tow-haul-drive with a sort of Italian Elan that is irresistible. This is a very elegant and beautifully designed machine that touches all of the best emotions. The 'coupe' days are long past for us-- we need so much more out of a vehicle. No doubt or second thoughts this was the right choice for us.

As to reliability ours is rock solid and I am totally confident with 12,000 miles under our belt this will be an excellent long term vehicle.

All of the dirty laundry is here for all to see and frankly as to reliability there have been very few issues and AR has totally bent over backwards to correct problems. It's obviously they're trying HARD to establish credibility as a luxury premium brand. The big complaints are Apple Car Play and such, premium sound, and navigation but other than voltage issues with discharged batteries there are NO red flags.

In a sea of emotionless contrived designs, there is only one CUV that is truly art and passion in motion combining functionality with emotive personal expression.

Two very different options- if you can afford it go with both. If not, Stelvio all the way.

Reactions: Paul Scarpelli

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow guys I’m Italian too and I love to see so many good words about AR. I think I owned a car made by almost every brand sold here in the EU and with my Stelvio i will repeat myself for the first time.
Yes I have to admit that during the past decades (2) AR show little attention to quality and innovation (not only technical but also in the design). With the Giulia this trend seamed to be inverted and the attention that AR customer care gives to every request from Giulia and Stelvio users proves this.
I drove the Quadrifoglio just for a week end before choosing mine (unfortunately not a Quadrifoglio thanks to Italian fiscal laws...) and it blowed me away: it’s sporty when it has to be and very “utility” when you drive through town (but always ready to push your back against the seat if you push a little).
You’ll be more than happy with this choice.
And thanks also to all the people here on this amazing forum for the love they show for this historic Italian brand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. If it weren't for the historically sketchy reliability of Alfa, the Stelvio Quad would be my only choice. From your responses and the reviews in the car mags, it seems like the new Alfas may actually be very reliable and glitch-free. I would prefer the functionality of the Stelvio over the brute performance of the Camaro ZL1 (or a new Corvette ZO6), but I think I'd be happy with any of them. My next quest is to pick which of the two dealers in Las Vegas I should go to for an Alfa. That will be a separate thread.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Absolutely, we need your help Paul on the HK system. As a studio engineer I will give my two cents about it ASAP I will have my car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts