Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming everyone who has a Stelvio or at least the Stelvio QV has the front end dip when they come to a stop. I can't find out the "why" and was just curious if anyone knew. Thanks.

· Registered
2023 Stelvio QV
63 Posts
No clue why, but mine does the exact same thing (2023 QV), and my old 2021 QV did the same thing but it was more noticeable with that one. I believe it is the auto-break function (i.e. the car engaging the parking break when you stop on a flat surface). Neither my 23 or 21 do/did this when the car was on an incline.

· Registered
2023 Stelvio QV
63 Posts
Oh I should also mention I've gone through many, many, MANY loaners and absolutely no non-QV did this, so it must have something to do with the adaptive suspension. Perhaps someone with an estrema can chime in.

· Registered
2023 Stelvio QV
63 Posts
Im not sure if this is what he's specifically referring to but when I come to a stop (like at a stop light) with my QV I can visually see the front end of the car sink down 1-2 inches. Like a hydraulic lift coming down. My 21 QV did the same thing but no non-QV loaner Ive ever been in has done this.

· Registered
2019 Stelvio QV / 2018 Giulia QV
35 Posts
I think it could be the same thing. When I stop the transmission stays loaded for the first half second as in still providing torque to the rear wheels causing the rear to squat down a little, then it unloads like going into neutral and the rear raises up a little, could cause the sensation of the front dipping.

· Registered
2023 Stelvio QV
63 Posts
@AlexDmoto interesting!!! I've always been curious about it and always wondered why this phenomenon did not happen in non-QV models. When my first QV (RIP, it was a lemon) was in service I drove many Stelvios as loaners, I mean I put tens of thousands of miles cumulatively on those cars, and none of them had any dipping at all. On my current QV this happens after I come to a complete stop. Super interesting and Ive always wondered what the deal is.

· Registered
2,928 Posts
Its the parking brake in the rear.....TADTS

· Registered
27 Posts
Mine does this also. Asked the dealer about it and they said it's normal. In the snow/ice it actually shoves the car forward due to the front tires sliding a little.
I only notice it when I'm in D or N however. In Race + Manual (how I normally drive) it doesn't do it. Go figure.

· Registered
3 Posts
Its the parking brake in the rear.....TADTS
New to Alfa, just picked up a 22’ Stelvio Quad. I have noticed this phenomenon as well. Are you saying that the parking brake engages at a stop light when in drive? If so, this may explain why my brakes feel like they are still engaged for a brief moment when letting off the brake at a stop light. If not, I may need to take it back to the dealer to see why my brake is still engaged after I let off the brake pedal…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts