Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody figured out a terrific solution for the front license plate?
Sadly, I live in a state where it's required.

I saw some nifty "hideaway" front licence plate holders that can be manually operated and even with a switch. (eBay) But none fit the Stelvio. Any clever solutions out there that look ok?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
if you go to a hardware store you should be able to find screws with a "butterfly" fitting on the back, that opens as you tighten. I think they are commonly used for hanging pictures on drywall (anchor screws?).
you could run these through the plate and the black grill, not in front of a radiator or anything .

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I live in a state where it's "required" but rarely enforced. Dealer made me sign a waiver saying they informed me I was supposed to install it myself. It came with a front plate mount under the floor in the back by the tire inflator kit, and that's where I intend it's going to stay for as long as I own the car!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
front plate

if you go to a hardware store you should be able to find screws with a "butterfly" fitting on the back, that opens as you tighten. I think they are commonly used for hanging pictures on drywall (anchor screws?).
you could run these through the plate and the black grill, not in front of a radiator or anything .
Yes, that's a great idea. I could also use plastic tie straps instead of anchor bolts though it might not look that great.
In any case, I just found out in California it's a $25.00 - fix a ticket.
whoopee!!! :>)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in a state where it's "required" but rarely enforced. Dealer made me sign a waiver saying they informed me I was supposed to install it myself. It came with a front plate mount under the floor in the back by the tire inflator kit, and that's where I intend it's going to stay for as long as I own the car!
Didn't know that you have to install them buy yourself in states. I live in Canada and our dealers install them, but the regulations about front plates varies in each province. That's why we have a lot of cars with out front plates (from Quebec) in Toronto. I'd follow NW_Stelvioguy's advice and take a look at this option.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Didn't know that you have to install them buy yourself in states. I live in Canada and our dealers install them, but the regulations about front plates varies in each province. That's why we have a lot of cars with out front plates (from Quebec) in Toronto. I'd follow NW_Stelvioguy's advice and take a look at this option.
go to a chevy or Toyota dealer and they'll simply be pre-installed, but then again those cars (outside the Corvette) have no style or real visual appeal. My dealer (they also sell Maserati) knows that the last thing we want is for them to drill holes in our beautiful bumpers, and block the beautiful view. It's common practice around here for dealers to give you the "self install option" on any higher end car that doesn't have a molded spot in the bumper for the plate. Complements of the body shop that took care of some parking lot dings and rock chips on the front bumper of my Z3 roadster, I no longer have the holes to even install a front license plate if I had tried, Officer :angel:wink:grin

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm in California, I take the front plates off all of my current/past trucks and cars...never received a ticket. Front plates are stupid.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My wife got a ticket in the bay area 1 day after receiving the license plates. I did not put on the front one at the time. Now it is on. Here is how I did it with zip ties.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
front license plate holder

My wife got a ticket in the bay area 1 day after receiving the license plates. I did not put on the front one at the time. Now it is on. Here is how I did it with zip ties.
You might want to consider the California black license plates so they blend in where you have it located - they are only $50.00 more per year-
In any case, does the install location restrict airflow to radiator or transmission cooler?

·
Registered
348 Posts
License Plate

Wow, cop must have been way below his monthly quota.....people out there driving like idiots without insurance/licenses and your wife gets nailed for no front plate....stupid.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is a great idea about the black plate. I will look into it. There is not restriction where I put the plate. That area is not open.

You might want to consider the California black license plates so they blend in where you have it located - they are only $50.00 more per year-
In any case, does the install location restrict airflow to radiator or transmission cooler?

·
Registered
151 Posts
So true but California CHP in the bay area are always looking for something.

Wow, cop must have been way below his monthly quota.....people out there driving like idiots without insurance/licenses and your wife gets nailed for no front plate....stupid.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My dealer has the ABSOLUTE COOLEST solution to the front license plate - problem solved for me and in a super cool way!

Electronic license plate! So what they do it mount this electronic device that literally flips up from underneath car with the license plate on it!! So when you see the cop you just push a button on the dash and the missing plate suddenly appears...will be quite a lot of fun with the police "I don't know what you are talking about officer, there IS a front license plate on my car" So James Bond...nice..

They have been doing it on the Maserati's for years because NO ONE wants a front license plate on a Maserati LOL so they now do it standard for you on the Alfa's.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
We here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts are required to have a front license plate, and had a little discussion among the staff here at my local dealer today over getting my state inspection completed, which requires photos of both plates mounted on the car. The states inspection systems now actually even have live webcams pointed at all inspection stations to view and verify that inspectors are not putting plates on vehicles in any temporary fashion, so they cannot issue an inspection sticker unless the car arrived with a permanently fixed plate, or the video shows them installing it in permanent fashion.

So my two options are to use the Alfa provided front plate mount, which requires drilling in to the front bumper, or using an aftermarket solution, such as a mount utilizing the tow hook. Has anyone used the Alfa9Supplymount, and would care to share a photo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
We here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts are required to have a front license plate, and had a little discussion among the staff here at my local dealer today over getting my state inspection completed, which requires photos of both plates mounted on the car. The states inspection systems now actually even have live webcams pointed at all inspection stations to view and verify that inspectors are not putting plates on vehicles in any temporary fashion, so they cannot issue an inspection sticker unless the car arrived with a permanently fixed plate, or the video shows them installing it in permanent fashion.

So my two options are to use the Alfa provided front plate mount, which requires drilling in to the front bumper, or using an aftermarket solution, such as a mount utilizing the tow hook. Has anyone used the Alfa9Supplymount, and would care to share a photo?
I’ll take a photo tonight and post. I tried another after market company and after wasting 2 hours tossed it in garbage. I don’t want to be a shill for alpha supply, but it took me less than 5 minutes to install and looks decent.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts