Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Drove my wife's 2021 Stelvio a few days ago. When backing out of the driveway and turning steering hard left big clunking noise. Wife said it's been happening since new and now it's happening driving forward on sharp turns. Feels like the suspension is going to fall apart. Took it to a local dealer who found nothing again. Wrote to AR Australia and have heard nothing back yet. This is our second Stelvio and we had no issues with our 2017 model.

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
358 Posts
Hi
Drove my wife's 2021 Stelvio a few days ago. When backing out of the driveway and turning steering hard left big clunking noise. Wife said it's been happening since new and now it's happening driving forward on sharp turns. Feels like the suspension is going to fall apart. Took it to a local dealer who found nothing again. Wrote to AR Australia and have heard nothing back yet. This is our second Stelvio and we had no issues with our 2017 model.
More specifically, noise and scrubbing at full lock or near full lock in low speed tight parking lot maneuvers is due to a designed in front suspension characteristic called the "Ackerman angle".

It's built into all front suspensions but is much more evident in performance vehicles, like the Stelvio. What you're hearing is tire scrub where one wheel is at a different angle than the other.

You can easily see the Ackerman angle by turning your steering wheel all the way to the end of travel, park your car, get out, and see how the inside tire is turned at a more extreme angle than the outside tire.

On a Stelvio, (and my Corvette to example) the difference in angle between the two front wheels is much greater than more family oriented vehicles, hence the scrubbing noise at low speed tight turns.

The Stelvio's more extreme Ackerman angle is a good thing and is partly responsible for the responsive and lively steering feel.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
One member on here a little while ago contacted me about a clunk.. it wasn't the Ackerman steering - something I assume you are familiar with from owning a Stelvio previously....

I didn't know what the clunk was to be honest, from the sound clip I thought it was suspension or steering components loose.....

Turned out it was the plastic trim on the wheel wells being loose and missing some clips... The plastic would vibrate against the metal in a turn and make a horrible clunking sound.

If it isn't the normal steering thing.... Check you body panels, see if anything is loose/missing clips.

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
358 Posts
One member on here a little while ago contacted me about a clunk.. it wasn't the Ackerman steering - something I assume you are familiar with from owning a Stelvio previously....

I didn't know what the clunk was to be honest, from the sound clip I thought it was suspension or steering components loose.....

Turned out it was the plastic trim on the wheel wells being loose and missing some clips... The plastic would vibrate against the metal in a turn and make a horrible clunking sound.

If it isn't the normal steering thing.... Check you body panels, see if anything is loose/missing clips.
I didn’t own a Stelvio “previously” - that bad boy is still in my garage.

As for the clunk, weird noises at full lock seem somewhat typical on these things.

But yes, simple stuff like plastic under body aero panels / wheel well liners, etc. can cause noise. I should have also asked if the OP has aftermarket wheels with incorrect offset.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
This member didn't have anything aftermarket installed on his car... Was just missing some clips. This happened after some time too.. probably fell out or something because the noise wasn't always there.

Also... The noise was loud and metallic sounding. Sound travels... Different with this car.

I had some kids put a full soda cam under my tire when parked at the grocery store maybe a year ago. When I pulled away I drove over it and it exploded. Had this happen in other cars before, it makes a noise, no big deal. This time....I thought a bomb went off under the car. Slammed to a stop and jumped out of the car expecting to see damage..nope...just a popped can of soda.

Check the body panels and all the plastic pieces clipped on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts