Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Selvio Ti Sport Vulcano Black / Chocolate interior / Yellow calipers
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, New Stelvio owner and loving every minute of driving it. I haven't seen a recent MPG thread.

2021 Ti Sport about three weeks old and I am getting about 9.5 MPG. Yes it is in New York City, and yes I drive the Stelvio like it is supposed to be driven 😁 but this still seems extremely low. Can the fact that it is new be affecting the gas mileage? Or is it just aggressive NYC driving that is doing it?

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
257 Posts
Hi all, New Stelvio owner and loving every minute of driving it. I haven't seen a recent MPG thread.

2021 Ti Sport about three weeks old and I am getting about 9.5 MPG. Yes it is in New York City, and yes I drive the Stelvio like it is supposed to be driven 😁 but this still seems extremely low. Can the fact that it is new be affecting the gas mileage? Or is it just aggressive NYC driving that is doing it?
Wow. I thought mine was bad averaging between 16 and 17 overall. Only time I average 20+ is on freeway in light traffic. Mine’s a 2020 TI and I drive mostly in ‘N’. On occasion use ‘D’ for the fun of it. I believe that a new vehicle with very low miles will need some time to break in. I’ve only got about 1500 miles so I’m thinking my mileage will improve as the engine breaks in a little bit more. However, your gas mileage does seem extremely low. Are you going strictly off the dashboard mileage indicator or do you also check it the old school method? I do both and my dashboard indicator seems pretty accurate when compared to my old school calculations.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. I thought mine was bad averaging between 16 and 17 overall. Only time I average 20+ is on freeway in light traffic. Mine’s a 2020 TI and I drive mostly in ‘N’. On occasion use ‘D’ for the fun of it. I believe that a new vehicle with very low miles will need some time to break in. I’ve only got about 1500 miles so I’m thinking my mileage will improve as the engine breaks in a little bit more. However, your gas mileage does seem extremely low. Are you going strictly off the dashboard mileage indicator or do you also check it the old school method? I do both and my dashboard indicator seems pretty accurate when compared to my old school calculations.
I'm only using "D" mode so definitely stacking the deck against me! So far with about 300 miles on it, it's just city driving - no highway miles whatsoever.

I'm just going by the display as my son fills up the tank at random times so I haven't been able to do it the old fashioned way yet.

Hoping it gets better as the car gets broken in a bit. With premium at $3.70 here it adds up pretty quickly at <10 MPG.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
257 Posts
I'm only using "D" mode so definitely stacking the deck against me! So far with about 300 miles on it, it's just city driving - no highway miles whatsoever.

I'm just going by the display as my son fills up the tank at random times so I haven't been able to do it the old fashioned way yet.

Hoping it gets better as the car gets broken in a bit. With premium at $3.70 here it adds up pretty quickly at <10 MPG.
Premium here in Los Angeles is over $4.50 so you’re getting a deal out there! Probably after some break in miles it will improve. Wouldn’t think Dynamic mode should suck down that much gas tho. Unless you’re sitting on the BQE during rush hour!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I drive in nyc and at my best I average around 15 MPG. Mostly highway driving, it’s hard to drive the car slow. Lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just crossed the 3000 mile mark on mine and I avg between 18-20 MPG. Drive mostly on N with the occasional D driving here and there. WIth my GO Pedal I don't nearly drive as much on D because the throttle response is wonderful now. Hoping that it gets better over time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m at 1300 miles on my 2020, and I am averaging 22-23mpg. At first I was in the teens. I’ve noticed as I get used to the Stelvio and drive it less aggressively I see the mileage slowly improving. once on a trip to Wisconsin I put it in the dreaded A mode and put on the cruise and flirted with 28mpg average after an hour and a half of driving. I’ll be happy if it get what’s advertised on the sticker. And the trip computer is pretty accurate. I track each fill up on the phone and it’s within 1 mpg of the computers reading. So far at least.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've got strong opinions about what mileage numbers I get with my stelvio (who cares!?!?). That said, I have noticed that my mileage drops when I fill up with suspect fuel (I like to call it "mystery juice") or if I'm stuck someplace where
there's only 91 or 92. Around here (Madison), I get pretty consistent results (26 city/hwy mix) using Mobil 93 (up to 10% ethanol). Full hwy I get 29-30. Once I got a tankful of mystery juice that said it was 93, my mileage dropped to low
20's ON THE HIGHWAY. The vehicle was like an old dog until I got some more reputable fuel in there.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
356 Posts
I drive in N in Los Angeles in stop and go traffic, and I'm getting 24 mpg. Happy for now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My economy record is 8 l/100km. I get better economy driving in D in manual with the pads than driving in A ?! My average for the last 10 000km is around 13/100 - mixed. This is way above than what is stated in the brochure, but I don't care much. With my driving style, without thinking of economy it is around between 8-12l/100 out of the city with average speed 90-120km/h. In the city anywhere between 12 - 15l/100. Highway , if I drive around 170 -180km/h , 15/100. The car is 2020 Veloce, around 12 000km on it. It depends a lot on the driving style, proper tyre pressure and the quality of the fuel. I am not slow driver though.

·
Registered
2018 white diesel with Veloce pack
33 Posts
My diesel gets about 6.5l/100km which is as good as a sensible hatchback! I live in the country so that’s almost all rural driving on the kinds of roads the Stelvio was made for. I mostly leave it in N but switch to D for certain favourite parts of certain roads or if I just feel like a bit of fun.

·
Registered
ALFA ROMEO STELVIO 2.2 210ch Lusso
1 Posts
Hello and sorry for my english (google translate is my best friend here ;-))
I have owned a 2018 STELVIO for 1 year with 30,000 kilometers at OBD (18,700 miles)
I live in FRANCE - Paris but only use the STELVIO on highway to go on weekends.
I ride very smoothly, always in "A", and I always try to beat my records for the lowest fuel consumption.
On a 150 kilometers ride (93 miles), I'm averaging 6.5 l/100 km (36 mpg).
My lowest fuel consumption on this route was 5.9 l/100km (40 mpg).
I am with a 210 hp diesel, shod in a slightly over-inflated MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 SUV 20"

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce Misano Blue Metallic/Black
385 Posts
I have a 2020 TI and have almost 11,000 miles. I have been averaging 21-22 mpg. I used to average 19-20 mpg so it got a little better. I drive a mix of city and highway in N and D. I just got a pedal commander and it's actually improved my MPG a bit. We'll see how it does over time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hoping I'll get the chance to drive on the highway or a real road soon and see what kind of mileage I get then. I haven't left the city yet and with so many speed cameras the most I can go is 34 - the cameras trigger at 10 over and the speed limit is 25MPH virtually everywhere in NYC. Not that I would ever exceed the speed limit of course even by 1MPH!

My poor Stelvio is wondering if I know how much potential it has. I think it's starting to get upset at me and I'm worried it's going to pull a KITT on me and start taking off on its own. 😢

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Mmmm...per conversation with the tech while getting my recalls done...

These cars do better when driven hard then easy. His rant about people driving Alfa's like fragile German cars was great.

To quote: " They aren't freakin' Benz's, they don't build them to impress people on the street as you cruise by slow..they built them to leave people wondering what that was when you pass them so fast they can't see the car!!'

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
To quote: " They aren't freakin' Benz's, they don't build them to impress people on the street as you cruise by slow..they built them to leave people wondering what that was when you pass them so fast they can't see the car!!'
Sounds like a mechanic I had once back when I had my 1969 Spider.

I had dropped it off for service and he gave me a ride to work in his Alfa sedan. He was driving along a 4 lane city street in the left lane at a good rate of speed. As he got closer to my exit I reminded him that my exit was coming up. He replied that he wanted to dust off a Porsche up ahead of us. And he did. He passed it like it was standing still, cut in front of it, and then off at the exit.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Whenever the rear visibility comes up, I flashback to my first car, a mid-80's Dodge Daytona hatchback...

...with louvers on the rear window and a driver's side door mirror, only. (Talk about two things that should never comeback..especially one exterior mirror..that was horrible.)

Compared to that, the Stelvio is just fine...even with the industry's worst backup camera.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Base
50 Posts
I've got strong opinions about what mileage numbers I get with my stelvio (who cares!?!?). That said, I have noticed that my mileage drops when I fill up with suspect fuel (I like to call it "mystery juice") or if I'm stuck someplace where
there's only 91 or 92. Around here (Madison), I get pretty consistent results (26 city/hwy mix) using Mobil 93 (up to 10% ethanol). Full hwy I get 29-30. Once I got a tankful of mystery juice that said it was 93, my mileage dropped to low
20's ON THE HIGHWAY. The vehicle was like an old dog until I got some more reputable fuel in there.
Your numbers look like what my wife and I get on ours. Similar mix of fuels, too. If we drove highway only on a trip and kept it under 70, we would likely get 30mpg. That doesn't happen because we go with the flow of traffic--or a bit above.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts